Author Topic: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?  (Read 2274 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Heatwaves, good or bad for you?
« on: 30 Jun 2018 05:00PM »
Was just wondering if the current spell of hot weather is being either enjoyed or endured by other Ouchers....does it help painful conditions or worsen them, for instance?  Is the heat tiring and brain-fogging or does it give you a lift in energy and mood?  (personally I find that once temperatures go into the 80s Fahrenheit/25 Celsius and above, it's rather too much, but I know some folk cope with it better than others!)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2018 06:38PM »
I tend to wilt when it goes over 25c  but thankfully here near the coast the breeze has taken the edge off. However I do find that I get a touch arthritis when it is warm this time in my wrist. Hopefully it will subside before long.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2018 06:39PM »
Hi Kizzy

for me its tiring, I cant sit out in the sun as I burn badly, I also get migraines in the sun.  I like that its warm and dry especially as Scottish Schools have stopped and it good that the children will have decent weather.  Mind you I wish that the bosses could sort out the building.
 One new building is 30C with fans on each desk and the windows open, some idiot hasn't reprogrammed the heating and it came on at 2.00 in the afternoon.  Madness.

Never mind - for the first time in years we are having summer in Scotland  >cool<

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2018 07:22PM »
I hate it, I get too hot and struggle to stay remotely cool, also some of my pains get worse in the heat and what's the worst for me, I use my blue inhaler over twice as much as normal as I struggle to get my breath in the heat.

What makes it even worse is my cat hates fans, I bought a fan last year and cannot use it as she instantly hides when its on and never comes out.   So I just sit here getting hotter and hotter.  and sleeping is terrible in this heat, I really struggle to get to sleep.

Roll on Autumn I say!!
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2018 08:28AM »
I like it but only because I'm fortunate here having things that are helpful. I've allowed myself an hour outside on the patio which is time I've enjoyed on weekdays. I've found it too difficult to go out at weekends as the sound of children playing, neighbours having barbecues or arguing has increased my anxiety so I avoid that by only going out on weekdays.

My bedroom is north facing so is fairly cool until the sun is in the west or if it's extremely hot the warm air comes in the windows. I have a bedside small fan on my bedside unit which is on when needed so I never feel too hot.

Oldtone it's interesting what you say about arthritis pain as my pain has always been worse in winter with the cold and damp but this last week one hip and both knees have been painful making it sore to move about the house and manage the stairs. I was googling to see if that's normal with rheumatoid arthritis. That's been a downside for me though it's not unbearable pain, probably because I'm on strong pain meds anyway.

But sunshine and warmth does lift my mood generally, any life stresses happening not withstanding. We had months of daily rain for the first few months this year and that definitely caused my mood to lower and SAD is definitely a feature for me. I'm very thankful for my bedside fan though, I think I'd feel very differently about the weather if I didn't have it.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2018 09:11AM »

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 2018 10:19AM »
Iankou, the dog in your pick is definitely having its day.

Fiz, my mother had very bad arthritis in her knees and whilst it did seem worse than normal on cold damp days it seemed most acute when it was very hot. Mine doesn't seem very dependant on the weather and I am fortunate that much of the time it only gives me a little discomfort.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2018 12:02PM »
Want to be that dog! 

One new building is 30C with fans on each desk and the windows open, some idiot hasn't reprogrammed the heating and it came on at 2.00 in the afternoon.

OMG.  Don't they have the common sense to turn the damn heating off at the mains during the summer months??

OldTone, I never thought of arthritis worsening in hot weather, always assumed it was cold and damp conditions that affected sufferers..

Fiz, at least you can get something positive out of it - I'm with Steve, especially regarding the sleeping at nights!  Though the last two have been better:  maybe we do sort of acclimatise to the heat if it's continuous for a week or more.  Although these hot spells don't tend to last longer than three weeks max (she says hopefully)
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2018 12:05PM by KizzyKazaer »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2018 01:23PM »
I'm going away tomorrow,  thankfully flying early so it'll be cool before the flight. We're going to the Vendee which I think follows our weather wrt whether it's sunny or rainy and only a couple of degrees hotter than here. There's a pool there so I can get in and out to cool off if my back is ok so I should be able to enjoy the sunshine all day outside being able to cool off. Think of the vitamin D load! But the return journey is flying at lunchtime so heat might not be great during the journey. I hope that all the passenger assistance organised actually happens, I will let you know when I return.

Typically I woke this morning to discover a wound is infected. I've given it a really good clean but experience tells me the sooner I'm on antibiotics the better. I've phoned 111 and asked if GP's do home visits bringing with them antibiotics and the answer was yes but only if pharmacies are closed. Otherwise they can only issue scripts and not dispense. As I can't get to a pharmacy and have no one who can help transport or collect the script and medication I'm hoping the doctor arrives after the pharmacies have closed whatever time that is. I did say to the doctor on the phone that if a doctor came to me but couldn't give me medication not to worry sending a doctor but he said he'd put me down for a home visit in the hope that by the time the doctor arrives here, pharmacies will have closed. Completely typical for me for this to happen on a Sunday, the day before I leave at 6am. I can't wait to have some form of transport. Anyway, absolutely none of that spiel had anything to do with the weather! What am I like, I just ramble on.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2018 08:23PM »
Amazingly a doctor did visit and did prescribe me antibiotics and dispense them to me at home. I really am thankful for the NHS. I had heard it was possible to get a home visit from a doctor at weekends but hadn't realised you could get the medication at home as well. So I'm all sorted for my holiday now. See you in a week or so  >aeroplane<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2018 09:16PM »
Phew, thank goodness for that, Fiz!  Have as stress-free a time as you can - and make the most of that pool...

The humidity has increased today;  forgot to mention that factor in my opening post  >doh<  So far the heat has been 'dry', now it isn't.  We had a rainstorm in the afternoon as well, but I only know that by the wet ground as I was snoozing at the time  ;-)  Mostly cloud cover today, but because of the mugginess, feels not much cooler  >erm<  Main factor for me is not thinking so clearly as usual and becoming more irritable - I can understand why animals get more lairy in the heat!  Hope the rest of you are staying as cool as you can...

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2018 04:34PM »
...well, it's so quiet here today I assume you all must have melted!!!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jul 2018 06:46PM »
Yesw it has been quiet. Have you had any of the rain hinted at for the west. Nothing here so far.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jul 2018 07:20PM »
Sitting with the laptop on my knee means additional heat so don't do it for long.

I was first in the office today, opened all the windows and then noticed that the radiator was hot - no controls on it to turn it down,  even the marble walls are warn - which is just weird.
That being said I like this weather as people are a bit happier. 

I hope you are all well and coping with the summer -  Its not a heatwave - its the season called summer, we are so used to not having a warm one that we call it a heatwave.  >lol< >lol< >lol<

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jul 2018 07:41PM »