Author Topic: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?  (Read 2281 times)

SteveX

Re: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jul 2018 08:10PM »
I've been using my blue inhaler 3x more than usual over the past week.  it's now on the verge of running out.
I do have one spare one but I hate opening that as I like to know I have a full spare one at any time should I need it.  I'm due to get my monthly prescription next week so I am going to ask/beg if they can give me two blue ones this month as I'm using it so much more with the heat. 
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jul 2018 09:22PM »
You shouldn't have to beg, Steve - surely 'they' should realise how the heat is impacting on people like yourself!

OldTone - we did have enough rain yesterday to leave the odd puddle here and there, but nothing today whatsoever.  And none in the forecast for as far as I can see;  in fact, on the radio, I heard that this dry and hot weather will be continuing for another 2 - 3 weeks at least (but I don't want to think about that... one day at a time)  Does make one wonder though - hosepipe bans soon for the South-West?

I hope you are all well and coping with the summer -  Its not a heatwave - its the season called summer, we are so used to not having a warm one that we call it a heatwave.  >lol< >lol< >lol<

Monic, how right you are  >biggrin< - will just have to imagine rolling in ice like Lankou's dog!  (my brain is so fried, I can't even bring to mind which breed it is  >erm<)

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jul 2018 10:49PM »
Steve, I have at least three inhalers for back up.  I use both brown and blue.  The heat is getting to me too.  Ask your GP for more inhalers.  Being hospitalised with a severe asthma attack due to the lack of inhalers isn't worth the risk.  There's been no respite from the heat  here.  The lush grass near by, now looks  like brown scrub land.  We have lots more different varieties  of  birds in the garden too.  They enjoy the fountain, and the water  we provide. I'm hoping there's no hospipe ban here.  The pond we have is Still full of tadpoles.  Although they've got their legs, they're not ready to leave yet.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jul 2018 09:35PM »
I know the summer has hit several of you very hard and there's footie on tonight BUT I hope you are all well and still ticking over  >bighugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jul 2018 08:50PM »
Footie?  What game was that, then?  ;-)

We've actually had some substantial rain during the late morning, and a cooler day all round today!  Has anyone else enjoyed a bit of a respite from the unrelenting 'joys' of summer?

SteveX

« Reply #20 on: 05 Jul 2018 12:53AM »
Footie?  What game was that, then?  ;-)

We've actually had some substantial rain during the late morning, and a cooler day all round today!  Has anyone else enjoyed a bit of a respite from the unrelenting 'joys' of summer?

No rain here for a week now.. today has been just as hot as ever and still no one can explain to me why the heck it's so much hotter in my room at night?!

oh and to hell with the football  >devil<
Member of POMMAS

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jul 2018 06:26PM »
We managed about 3 spots over 5 minutes yesterday. Didn't even wet the pavemit. Today was slightly fresher especially in the afternoon in Weymouth. Sunny evening but no breeze so a bit sticky.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jul 2018 07:44PM »
I forgot to mention but yesterday I was speaking to a DWP worker and while she was looking at the screen the tannoy announcer started with this message "DWP staff are reminded that there is a dress code and all staff should dress in business attire,  despite the heat swimwear and beach wear are not appropriate"  >lol< >lol< >lol<  I laughed and said to the lady surely your staff don't need to be told that, she apologised that I had heard it and said someone had been sent home for turning up in swimming trunks.   That would be an assault on your visual senses if any of my workmates tried that. >runforthehills<

Big Muff

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jul 2018 08:43PM »
ah that was probably due to the long running saga of female staff being allowed to ignore the dress code whilst male staff have to adhere to it.
The original dress code got  scrapped as the JCP lost employment tribunals as men proved that women were allowed to flaunt the code whilst they had to wear a proper shirt tie etc.Theoretically anyone turning up to sign on had to be ready to attend a job interview there and then so they too should be dressed in similar style.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 05 Jul 2018 09:24PM »
....someone had been sent home for turning up in swimming trunks.

>lol< >lol< oh, the mind-movie I now have...

Big Muff, I never knew that!

Rather humid here as well, OldTone - any mild activity brings one out in a sweat.  Yuk  >thumbsdown<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jul 2018 03:00PM »
Lovely morning sailing in Poole Harbour. I say sailing but given very light wind and contrary tide it was more like drifting. Nonetheless very relaxing.

A little light cloud has taken the intensity off the sun now.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jul 2018 09:19PM »
Sounds delightful, OldTone!  But brace yourself, there's another three days of climbing temperatures to come  >crying< 

Dad gave me a tip he'd heard on the TV which seems wonderful in its simplicity - if you have a hot water bottle, fill it with cold water and take it to bed so you can cool your feet off on it!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jul 2018 11:01AM »
Another TV tip went a little further and put ice in the hot water bottle. I don't have a hot water bottle, but so far I have been managing reasonably well at night.

I had my haircut this morning so that might help.

I bought myself a nice big bag of large ice cubes for 1. I know I can make my own, but I find I usually spill half the tray between tap and freezer and then have a struggle to get them out of the tray. Only problem with the bags is you sometimes have to whack them with a mallet to break them up if they have been in the freezer a while. I still find them less hassle overall.

Happy chilling.

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #28 on: 08 Jul 2018 04:56PM »
Best and easiest way to break up the lumps in the bags of ice from the supermarket is simply to drop or smash the bag against the tiles on your kitchen floor or your back door step/patio.  Works even once the bag is open so long as you hold the open end of the bag so you don't lose the cubes!!!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: 08 Jul 2018 07:58PM »
That's certainly one method, but my kitchen has a suspended timber floor with cushioned tiles so the bags merely bounce. Either method would be good for frustrations. A