Author Topic: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?  (Read 2001 times)

JLR2

Re: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
Thanks Auntie.

JLR2

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
My friend's father passed away just before midnight  :-(

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
 >bighugs<  I'm pleased he was somewhere where he could receive 24/7 care. I'm sorry that you're worrying about not being able to fully support your friend. Do you talk via skype or facetime?

Thinking of you all.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
Feels hard going back to heatwaves after such sad news   :-(

I never thought I'd ever say this but the last 48 hours have been too hot for me. I've struggled to sleep. The coolest my bedroom gets is 25 at night and despite no covers at all and a bedside fan I've not been able to sleep. A few more days of this yet and I really want to blitz half my house, I could only manage a half hour yesterday. How do people manage to work in this?

I've heard sandbanks is lovely oldtone. Can you park close to the beach?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »
Sandbanks is a peninsular separating Poole Harbour from Poole Bay. There are seven miles of soft clean sand (Blue Flag for umpteen years) stretching to Bournemouth, Boscombe and beyond. The beach has a gentle slope so access is easy except its hard work walking across the dry sand. It is really soft. Bathing is safe with lifeguards as long one stays away from the tidal run near the entrance to the harbour.

There are a couple of car parks right next to the beach plus a half mile or more of metered street parking, so there is plenty of it. However at peak times it can still be difficult to find a space. On Thursday both car parks were full in the afternoon, but luckily I managed to find a street place just as someone pulled out.

One Friday we went down in the late afternoon as some people were starting to leave so found space in the main car park. Only 50yds from the beach.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
Sounds absolutely delightful, OldTone - I am green with envy (but we don't appear to have a smiley for that!)  What I'd really like to do is have a swim in the sea - during this level of hot weather, the normally chilly waters of Britain do warm up enough to make it bearable and even desirable.  It's the thought of actually travelling to the coast that puts me off  >erm<

Fiz, your bedroom sounds like mine - and indeed sleep becomes a problem, especially if we have a muggy type of heat.  Roll on autumn, say I...

SteveX

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Seems the heat has returned with a vengence, my living room temp is  28.9c right now and seems to be getting hotter.
I don't usually begrudge people having a nice summer but this one is really testing my patience, I'll be happy to see the end of it.

Roll on Autumn
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Strewth, Steve, your place has obviously been even more uncomfortable than mine...

I don't usually begrudge people having a nice summer but this one is really testing my patience, I'll be happy to see the end of it.

Exactly how I've been feeling about it - and it seems (touch wood) that finally we might be seeing a more permanent return to sensible weather;  been raining here hard and steady since about 7:30 pm, hoo-jolly-ray and about time too!  Hope cooler conditions are finding the rest of you  >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2018, 07:41:16 AM »
Very cool here today. I suspect I shall still go out in my short shorts as they're he least painful item of clothing to put on my lower half! That's been one thing I've been enjoying during the hot weather.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
Very slight drizzle, the first rain since the damp Sunday a week or so back. Hasn't lasted long though.

It is pleasantly cool with light overcast. One can breath again.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
At last some actual rain. Not particularly heavy, but a succession of showers sufficient to wet the ground. Actually smells damp when I poke my nose out of the door.

Cloudy bright so I think we may get some more yet.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2018, 06:18:24 PM »
It does seem (and hope I'm not tempting fate) that the heatwave has pushed off for the foreseeable future... how nice not to have to spend so much time on dealing with its effects, not to mention the pleasure of sleeping under my duvet again!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
JLR2 - I hope your friend is coping and that you are not too stressed by doing the long distance version of supportive friend.  >hugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
Yes, I hope you and your friend are coping as best as you can, JLR..

Now into Week 2 of cooler weather, but it has to be said - still rather muggy, which makes it feel warmer than it actually is.  Plenty of rain around in these parts, though, already can see the grass in the local park is looking much greener! 

Apparently the heat will be back at the end of the month and spilling into September, but with the nights pulling in noticeably now and the time of year it is, I don't imagine it will be anything as awful as what we endured from June onwards.  Still enjoying being able to use my duvet to cover myself in bed, and energy levels pretty good  >thumbsup< - those of you who were suffering, do you feel better than you did?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2018, 07:20:39 PM »
I always wonder how forecasters can say what'll be happening weather wise in 2 weeks time?