Author Topic: General chat about anything you want :-)  (Read 1129 times)

huhn

Re: General chat about anything you want :-)
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »
oh just an article  from cyprus about jobs for us. what for a lot of bull shit was this.
i was just  imagining my  boy as a motivational speaker. nobody understands him. or as a consultant, can not write a word except his name. but he is  asked now by people to help on farms and in the garden and even he helps out with making salads in an restaurant over the summer. but i send you the link to read it and please  have a smile about it. nobody can take this seriously.
https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/07/19/best-business-ideas-for-the-disabled/

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
...please  have a smile about it. nobody can take this seriously.

You're not wrong there;  all this piece of silliness shows is how pathetically narrow the writers' definition of 'disability' actually is!  Someone should have done their homework before publishing that...

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »
...so, anyone done anything particularly exciting in the last few days?  Or even unexciting, come to that  ;-)

Saw a good documentary I'd recorded about Arizona's desert prison, America's toughest jail.  The inmates swelter under canvas in summer temperatures of around 60C, which I can't even begin to imagine - would have thought the body would go into total collapse at that kind of extreme heat, but they seem to survive it by and large.  I quite like the simple idea voiced by the sheriff who runs the prison and who also designed the overall restrictive regime - yes, it's a hard place, but nobody has to go back there if they simply stop breaking the law and become good citizens.  Of course, some of the so-called human rights groups have something to say about it!  Where are these do-gooders when the victims of crime need support, having had their human rights breached in sometimes terrible ways  >doh<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
I don't have any recording device so just use BBCiplayer and ITV hub.

Absolutely nothing happening here this week so, much the same as usual.

huhn

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 09:43:09 PM »
I just came from a nice party with my  girl, and my taxi driver said there is  big fire in Greece. so i am ok, now i  just look where it is in the news and it is the place where the lovely cousins from my ex  are living. Tomorrow i must call them and  see that they are  fine. i am now looking for anything  to find out what happened, but i  do not want to make calls and block the lines for  more important things

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 07:18:32 AM »
It's been on the news here Huhn, loads of people being rescued from beaches.

Today I need taxis to see a GP. Both will need to be female but unless the female taxi driver is on holiday (there's only one lady driver) she's more likely to be available with no school runs to do.

Blasted UTI's. Having been awake virtually all night a lot of it sat on the loo for no reason I finally took a modified release 100mg Tramadol at 3am which I thought was total overkill but I soon went to sleep and woke at 6am pain free at that time so I should've taken one sooner. But I just tend to think UTI's are nothing, it's surprising how painful and debilitating they can be. I hope I can get an appointment with my GP otherwise I'll see any female one.

I'm sure that was way too much information but if you've never had a UTI you are a rarity indeed and super lucky. Can't book a taxi until I know the appointment time.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »
Glad that you're not in the affected area, Huhn - as Fiz said, our news in the UK has been full of it.  Some horrifying stories about people dying trapped in various places while trying to escape the flames  :-(  Let's hope the fires are under control soon and people get the help they need with rehousing and whatever.

Fiz, I had a UTI about 30 years ago and I still remember the ghastly night I had with knees drawn up to my stomach in bed and then huddling miserably in a chair during the small hours.  My then boyfriend who lived with me thought I had appendicitis and called out the duty doctor, but a quick finger up the back passage confirmed it wasn't that.  So the doctor left me some strong codeine-based painkillers and I managed to get an appointment with my own GP the next day - who said it was a UTI and gave me antibiotics.  I'd never want to go through that again!   >x-fingers< you managed to see a doc..

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 03:21:58 PM »
I managed to see my own GP and now have antibiotics. It's only a 3 day course but I ought to be in less discomfort by tomorrow even. Tonight if the pain is bad I'll be less reticent to take a modified release Tramadol but I'm literally drinking 3 bottles of 1.5 litres Volvic sugar free touch of free water which should help too. I live on that water. Natural and fully recyclable plastic. I'm just relieved that I managed to see my own GP.

Perfect weather down here again today.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 01:40:19 PM »
I collect my car on Tuesday. Stupidly excited! Despite not having a clue where I'll go in it! And it's a friend's day off so she's able to drop me off there which is great.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »
If you've got some wooded back roads then that could be a nice drive. Comparatively quiet roads and cool in shade. Ideal to relax and familiarise yourself with the car. Enjoy.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 05:06:38 PM »
Not 'stupidly' excited, justifiably excited, Fiz!  I like OldTone's suggestion of a pleasant 'country drive' >thumbsup<

I never forget my very first car - it had a manual choke, which could be very challenging in the winter, and I drove it 13 miles each way to work when I got my job with the then DSS in 1999. No power steering, no remote central locking, no frills at all with that vehicle - but it was my first set of wheels after passing my test on the second attempt and it got me to work, so I grew quite fond of that car!  And I still like Ford Fiestas, though I have a more up-to-date 'used' model now - bought it off parents, so I knew it had been cared for.  Appreciate the extras, of course  :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 05:10:29 PM »
...PS - anyone else take more than one attempt to pass their (practical) driving test??!

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 06:22:36 PM »
Yes. I'm a second timer too.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 06:51:08 PM »
OK, I passed my car test in 1986, before the theory stuff they have to do today, and passed (even though the instructor did not tell me to do the emergency stop I did!) 

My motorcycle test however was a different matter, the first time, the bike broke down; the second time I forgot to indicate on one left turn from a side street; the third time I went wrong doing a "figure of eight" around two blocks in town; the fourth time the battery blew up on my leg!

The fifth time - aha, the lucky one, I did a u-turn in front of a police car (the driver later asked how the test went), emergency stop where I slid the bike sideways to a stop by a toddler about to run out on me - the examiner said "you weren't under control!" I replied, "I was, I just deemed more rubber against the road would stop quicker."  He then gave me a warning that he was going to stop me next time round, so dutifully I approached at 5 mph and stopped safely.  I passed!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »

My motorcycle test however was a different matter, the first time, the bike broke down; the second time I forgot to indicate on one left turn from a side street; the third time I went wrong doing a "figure of eight" around two blocks in town; the fourth time the battery blew up on my leg!

The fifth time - aha, the lucky one, I did a u-turn in front of a police car (the driver later asked how the test went), emergency stop where I slid the bike sideways to a stop by a toddler about to run out on me - the examiner said "you weren't under control!" I replied, "I was, I just deemed more rubber against the road would stop quicker."  He then gave me a warning that he was going to stop me next time round, so dutifully I approached at 5 mph and stopped safely.  I passed!

Suggested T-shirt for you:-