Author Topic: General chat about anything you want :-)  (Read 428 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
General chat about anything you want :-)
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
Was about to post on the 'Chit Chat thread of randomness dropping by' which we used to have, but as it's nearly a year since it was posted on, I was prompted to start a new thread... So here it is, and it does what it says on the tin - post about anything you like, any time, and don't worry about keeping any particular topic going >biggrin<

Tonight I've been watching England play Croatia in the World Cup semi-finals, and in extra time Croatia have just gone 2 - 1 up, so looks like we won't get to the big one after all  :-(  (don't know if any of you are following the footie at all, I enjoy the major tournaments but don't really bother with it at other times.)  Perhaps there's more Wimbledon fans here!  Or total sports-haters who'd be happy never to see it on telly again  ;-)

SteveX

Re: General chat about anything you want :-)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
I'm not a footie fan (actually quite the opposite!) but I feel we could have won it in the first 90 mins if we only nailed one of those close chances we had in the 1st half.     Also, it seems to me that we can only score via set pieces..  when did one of our players score a 'normal' goal?

That said though, we cannot complain, they did their best and at least this time they can come home proud instead in shame like previous years.

..but yeah, as a non football fan, I'm glad it's all over now. 
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:28:15 AM »
The best thing that came out of my divorce was the lack of football in my life. I don't miss it. However I like the Saints to stay in the premiership so keen an eye on the scores until I know they will and then I switch football off in my brain. Haven't been able to be unaware in any shape or form of the world cup unfortunately, not that I watched any. Even the footie mad people on Facebook and instagram seem to be saying we did well despite not winning and getting to the semi finals is no disgrace.

Someone has started a government petition to start a war with Croatia which did make me laugh.

>edit to insert paragraph breaks - KK
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:51:52 PM by Fiz »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
I donít mind the football and have watched / had on most of the matches.  I had the sound turned down for any England match because the arrogance of the commentators really hacks me off.

It used to be amusing watching England getting beaten until you saw the abuse and death threats dished out to the players , sorry thatís wrong, no England donít have a god given right to win and well done to the current squad of players but England would have more support from rest of uk if they canned the arrogance.

Wonder how the fools withe their World Cup winner tattoos feel 5oday.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:58 PM »
Pretty damn silly, I would think  >erm<  IMO, the news coverage of the game - although it was obviously important in the footballing world - has been way too excessive, both yesterday in the lead-up and today digesting the unwanted result.  Let's get back to Donald Trump's visit  ;-)

Someone has started a government petition to start a war with Croatia which did make me laugh.

Oh, what a complete >rude word<  >doh<  You have to laugh or you'd cry...

SteveX

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
I know its mean of me and I shouldn't but I'll admit I did laugh a little at one guy on the bbc news site who had a huge England 2018 World Cup Winners tattoo. 

Wouldn't it have been wise to wait until after the final to have that, I mean you're tempting fate. 
Member of POMMAS

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »
Talking of things which might be of general interest I went along to a Volunteers day at Lulworth Castle run by the Dorset Blind Society; the charity I help from time to time.

This turned out to be quite a significant event attended by a few local grandees. The host, and one of our patrons, was James Weld owner of the Lulworth Estate. The guest of honour was Angus Campbell Lord-Lieutenant of Dorset and the 'celebrity' guest was Julian Fellows of Downton Abbey fame, another patron.

Firstly it celebrated the centenary of society. It was originally founded to help blind and visually disabled troops returning from the Great War. The Load-Lieutenant presented a trophy to mark that occasion and said that in his experience it was quite remarkable for a comparatively small charity to survived so long. Many don't long outlive their founders.

Secondly he also presented a scroll granting the charity The Queen's Award for Voluntary Service 2017.

This was much as I anticipated but when I arrived I was a bit taken aback to be instructed to be sure and sit at the table at the front right. I was one of about six volunteers to be awarded a certificate for ten years volunteering. I really didn't realise it had been that long. A couple of others at the table had managed twenty years. I guess it is nice to recognised by the powers that be so to speak.

This was followed by a good buffet spread which together with the fine weather made it a pleasant day out.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »
Ooh, Julian Fellows!  I became a 'Downton Abbey' fan earlier this year when I gave the parents the complete box-set for Christmas and they started re-watching it - Dad said I'd love it and he was right....

.. I was one of about six volunteers to be awarded a certificate for ten years volunteering. I really didn't realise it had been that long.

That's fantastic, OldTone  >magic< >bubbly<  well done, and well deserved  >thumbsup<

What sort of nosh did you have at the buffet?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:43 PM »
Congratulations oldtone.  Well done.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 05:25:55 AM »
Congratulations Oldtone, well deserved.  >star<

I went to a family funeral yesterday, hiring a car for the day but only managed to stay for the very sad committal at the crematorium and the family buffet lunch in the church hall before the back pain being so bad I worried I might not be able to drive home if I waited much longer so came home just before the thanksgiving service began which was a real shame because apparently there were several lovely tributes and memories shared during the service. My cousin has promised to send me the tributes which will be nice. I'm a technophobe but the word podcasts springs to mind despite never having listened to one so that may be the method she means. That'll be nice.

I have barely seen my daughter in the last two years and yesterday she told me that it's because I'm not interested in her, which is rubbish as I love hearing about everything she does, work wise and pleasure wise and constantly ask about everything, but she also said all I talk about is pain and stuff and there's truth in that. I guess becoming housebound because of it, going nowhere and speaking to no one except my dog who's an excellent listener, gives me little if anything to talk about and pain dominates my life. So I'm going to make a concerted effort not to mention pain at all when we communicate. It will be tricky being honest if she asks how I am but I've thought about it and when she asks I'll tell her about something I've done or that interested me or what programme I enjoyed watching on the TV. So I'll divert the question. It made me realise that others may be fed up with hearing about it too so as well as trying never to talk about it to my daughter I'm going to try not to mention it on the other (non disability) forum I post on too. And reduce it as a subject here though I know this is the one place the subject will be understood. And obviously it'll be frequently discussed with my GP! I need to discuss increasing a dose for something right now, yesterday after I returned from the funeral I couldn't lie down which was scary and distressing. I'm sure others here can relate.

My DWP PIP award letter finally arrived on Thursday and a friend is available to drive me to the garage where I will look at the car I have selected from the motability car finder as meeting all my needs this morning. I hated the car I hired yesterday, it was impossible to see any of the bonnet at all so I had no clue how much room I had in front of me when pulling out of spaces not being able to see any of the nose. Daftly it was the first time I realised how important it is that I sit in the car I've chosen to see if the visibility is good! It's been so long since I had a car. So that'll be an exciting visit and the thought of being able to leave the house and go somewhere is starting to feel like a positive thought rather than a terrifying one though I still can't imagine going anywhere to do anything social apart from meeting up with one of my two friends. I can't even imagine seeing my GP. I think being so isolated has ramped up my social anxiety so I will need gentle exposure. I've always found the doctor's waiting room difficult though; not enough personal space and trying not to make eye contact with anyone in case I know them and need to talk to them. And after this morning's exciting garage visit I'm having lunch with the friend who is taking me. So today should be a good day and a million times better than yesterday. I'm trying to increase my positivity!

What are you all up to this weekend? 

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks for congrats.

A bit more about the event if you are interested.

Fellows came over to our table for a chat and was very approachable. One of the volunteers asked him about the film and whether he was involved. He said he had already written it and would be involved. The older members of the TV cast where quite keen, but as the programme had boosted the careers of some of the younger cast they were a bit more difficult. He didn't say explicitly but I got the impression that there might be some difficulty with filming schedules as they were so busy.

The grub was pretty standard buffet fare. Various sandwiches, sausage rolls, prawn thingies, coronation chicken vol a vonts, sort of pizza tartlets, samosas and a few others I couldn't identify but tasty nonetheless. This was followed by sweet meats such as chocolate chip nibbles, chocolate and fudge cubes, some very colourful iced biscuits with a corresponding filling which where flavoured according to colour, such as coffee, mint, etc. and scones with jam and clotted cream.

Oh and there was some birthday cake too.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
Fiz, I understand your problem with car visibility. Modern cars, particularly the small ones tend to have steeply curving bonnets which makes seeing the front particularly the corners very difficult. This is not help if like me you are quite short.

But I find all round visibility is getting poorer also as windows have got smaller to allow for stronger body shells.

I guess this is why parking sensors are increasingly being fitted. You may find these a worthwhile accessory if they are available for your car. I hope you can get what you want.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »
Not sure how a film version of 'Downton Abbey' will work when so much story was crammed into the actual series  >confused<

So you didn't exactly have 'posh nosh', OldTone, but good eats nonetheless - my mouth was watering, reading your description  >tongue-smile<

Fiz, hope the visit to the garage was a fruitful one and you have chosen a car that suits your needs  >thumbsup<  Will be interesting to see how your new approach to your daughter pans out, though in my personal opinion she needs to be a little more tolerant!

As for what's going on this weekend for me, will be usual stayover at parents' tonight and probably a walk with Mum tomorrow morning.  Neither parents nor myself are particularly keen to go places you have to drive to on a Saturday or Sunday - they're retired and I'm not working, so we have the option to go to, say, a garden centre for lookaround and lunch in the early part of a week.  Would be nice to have a trip somewhere when the weather takes a turn for the cooler...

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »
I'm not doing much this weekend. Like Kizzie I avoid heading coastwards as the roads get crowded with folks going to the beach where you can't park and fry for want of shelter.

There is however some very pleasant countryside which can be reached if one carefully avoids crossing main roads at congested points. Careful planning and timing required. So I might be tempted; especially if the present breeze persists. Could always sit out in my garden as it is nicely shaded by a big oak and several silver birches.

We still haven't had any rain apart from a 5 minute dribble over week ago.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
Is this silliness of groups of 22 primadonnas running around a simulated field after inflated simulated pigs bladder over yet? 

When you consider that at present there are a load of fitter people cycling about 100 miles and finishing at 30-40 mph and they will do it day after day with only 2 rest days in three weeks.  If footballers could do that the World Cup would have been over in a week, not a month. 
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel