Author Topic: This made me cry  (Read 159 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
This made me cry
« on: July 17, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: This made me cry
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
For those who were unable to watch the whole video - it was very hard to understand the dialogue for most of it and it had been filmed in a way that only showed a third of the screen - this was about a wheelchair user on Not-So-Great Western Trains being effectively dumped into a corridor of the train for the duration of her journey, despite her and her (partner?) protesting that this was against the law.  The woman was in tears by the end of her ordeal, unsurprisingly.  I hope she did take her complaint further...
(I think I grasped the gist of it, Fiz)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:15:08 AM »
Yes the lady has a scooter and boarded the great western train and found that the space signed for the use of disabled travellers was free and had not been reserved by another wheelchair user so she parked her scooter there and sat there, her husband sat nearby.

A woman with a young baby boarded the train along with the pram and said she needed the space for the pram. She was holding the baby so the pram was empty. It was a proper pram not a buggy so I'm unsure if or how it folds. The train conductor then insists the disabled lady move her scooter so the empty pram can be placed there. Both the lady and her husband say that the disabled space was clearly marked as a disabled space, hadn't been reserved by another disabled person and that the train conductor was breaking the law. As this was at this stage stalemate the train conductor made a tannoy announcement for the whole train to hear apologising for delay in departure which was being caused by a lady refusing to move her disability scooter. The disabled lady then cries. She tries to back her scooter into the aisle between seats and the train conductor and lady with the baby lift the pram over the disabled lady and her scooter placing the pram in the disabled space. Because the scooter is then blocking an aisle she is asked to park her scooter in the space between two carriages and near a door. Because although she's then cleared the aisle she is now blocking people from moving from one carriage to the other she is then asked to leave the train. Partly because she's blocking the carriages and partly because her husband had started to film what was happening on his mobile phone. Understandably the disabled lady was very distressed.

Although individual GWR staff have expressed disgust at the actions of the train conductor the actual company have only said they're looking into it.

The problem with the mobile video is the husband eas trying to record what was happening covertly which made the picture wobble and go out of shot although you can hear the conversation. The husband then switches to filming clearly so as to film who the conductor is and what he's saying. That was half the reason they were ordered to leave the train.

Had i been there knowing the law I would have been a third person insisting she had the legal right to be in the disabled space but no one else intervened for them.

I get upset when I see people upset and in tears and I cannot imagine how she felt when the conductor made a tannoy announcement saying the train delay was caused by a disabled lady in her scooter refusing to move. Total humiliation I'm sure.

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
Really disgusting tbh.  I totally feel for her.
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »
And the follow up
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44874740
A comedian who criticised a train firm after she was "humiliated" for using a disabled space for her mobility scooter has thanked the public for their support.
Tanyalee Davis, who lives in Norwich, said a Great Western Railway (GWR) service guard threatened to call the police if she did not leave the space.
Ms Davis said she was "amazed" by the support she had received.
The government said the treatment was "entirely unacceptable".
GWR said on Tuesday that staff who saw the video were "collectively horrified".
Ms Davis said: "I can't tell you how amazed I am by the amount of support we have received through YouTube and the BBC and ITV. I feel very honoured."
She said she wanted to raise concerns but did not want the guard sacked.
"The last thing I want to happen is someone to lose their livelihood," she said.
Ms Davis added that she was just wanted to highlight problems she has been encountering for the last 15 years.
A Department for Transport spokesman said: "It is clear that the way the guard treated Tanyalee was entirely unacceptable and it is right that the operator has apologised for this. We expect all train companies to do everything possible to make travel easy for disabled people."
Canadian-born Ms Davis, 47, who has a form of dwarfism, was travelling on the 11:00 service from Plymouth to London on Sunday with her partner, Kevin Bolden, who filmed the incident on a mobile phone.
She was told to move from the unreserved space after a young mother asked to use it for a pram.
Ms Davis said she felt "personally and publicly humiliated" after the guard threatened to call the police.
Dan Panes from GWR said on Tuesday: "We got it wrong, it made no sense. A wheelchair space is a wheelchair space, it's not for luggage or pushchairs."
He confirmed that an investigation is under way.

Rather than firing the guard shouldn't the rail company be speaking to the young mother who wanted to dump her pram, its all about education.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »

Rather than firing the guard shouldn't the rail company be speaking to the young mother who wanted to dump her pram, its all about education.

I totally agree Monic that mother was completely heartless and although it would be hard to track her down as only her empty pram was filmed being lifted over Tanyalee, I think a comment or two about her absurd request and heartlessness wouldn't have gone amiss. She started this fiasco and as she was sitting nearby the empty pram would have witnessed Tanyalee's tearful distress and her having to leave the train at the next stop.

I find it hard to believe that a train conductor could be as ignorant as to believe that the space signed for disabled passengers was okay to remove the disabled passenger in order to put what amounts to luggage in their place. It's a shame the mother wasn't shown on camera in my view although retaliation by incensed people can be nasty so perhaps for her safety better that she wasn't. 

I think this is the worst case of mistreatment against a disabled person I've witnessed.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »
Ms Davis was interviewed on the Jeremy Vine show (Radio 2) Tuesday, I think, and made the points mentioned by Monic.

This was a particularly bad example of treatment, but I got the feeling it was also a bit of a 'last straw' situation for her as aggravations when travelling seem all to common.

The problem is that this situation is all to common as it is a situation a friend of mine encounters regularly. In his case on buses where there is a conflict between a wheelchair user and buggy handler over limited space. Quite frequently the wheelchair space is occupied by two or even three buggies by time he wants to board.

Bus drivers are loathe to intervene and I can understand their difficulty with a full bus and getting someone to fold a buggy when space is limited and passengers anxious to get to their destinations. The solution is probably more flexible accommodation on buses, but this may give rise to safety issues if wheelchairs or buggies can't be reasonably retrained against moving around under braking etc.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »
Buses are so painful for me it's years since I've been on one but my memory seems to remember the signage was ambiguous in that if a wheelchair was using the space it states to make sure it's facing X direction against the backrest and with the handbrake on but also says it's also space for buggies and luggage etc so over time it's become a first come first served basis and some (selfish even if exhausted) mothers have refused to fold their buggies then wheelchair users have gone without the necessary space and been unable to travel. That needs to change.

On trains however signs are clearer, signs state the spaces are for disabled travellers and ask people to vacate the space if a disabled person needs it. Therefore this should never have happened. And even the train conductor couldn't read the signs in this case. Or understand them.

I went to a concert in London a while ago and as standing and jerks are painful for me had my registered disabled badge in my phone cover ready to produce to request a seat on the tube had I needed to. However a seat was available as soon as we got on the tube both ways. I had worried how people would react had I needed to. What was the worst bit was one station we alighted in had hundreds of steps only to be used in an emergency as there were so many steps and a lift with a very long queue as each lift journey could only take so many passengers. My back doesn't do queuing so I was crying by the time we exited that station, thankfully my companion was driving from that point onwards so I was able to take strong painkillers.

So the train signs are better then buses, they state that the disabled have priority over all others and I think buses should change their signs to the same very similar statements. Say "this space is for the use of wheelchair users, if a wheelchair user needs to use this space passengers with luggage or equipment will be required to move their belongings and if necessary may need to disembark from this bus service".