Author Topic: Drugs combination mental side effects, morphine and Tramadol  (Read 208 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
I came across someone last weekend at an event I went to who had what I can only describe as a serious panic attack due to the crowd and the noise.
I had a chat with them and it turns out they were in recovery from a serious accident which had put them in hospital for many months during which time they were on Morphine and Tramadol.
Are such side effects common?

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Drugs combination mental side effects, morphine and Tramadol
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »
I had horrendous side effects after stopping taking a tricyclic antipressant after 15 years but they stopped the drug suddenly in one go. My side effects were panic and anxiety and it went on for over 8 months.

Both morphine and tramadol are calming so the side effects would indeed be the opposite, panic and anxiety. But if used for illness those drugs should be slowly tapered down under guidance from the GP and that should be stated on the discharge paperwork under the notes for GP section. If tapered down slowly the side effects should be minimal. If stopped suddenly they'll be a cold turkey period of extreme anxiety and panic attacks which would last a different length of time depending on the length of time the morphine snd tramadol were taken for. However the side effects should last no more than weeks rather than months even if you've withdrawn cold turkey. But advice should be sought be a doctor to verify the cause.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
I take Tramadol for TN, and recurring Migraine like pain, I dont think it causes me to have panic attacks but it can make me spacey and a bit hyper. It is hard to tell though because I am often in a lot of pain and don't get out and about much so when I do I can feel overwhelmed by busy streets, shops and people.

I think the post Fiz made probably gives a better answer for the circumstances you describe. As in getting withdrawal symptoms after a period of illness or injury.

In general I have noticed how people who have never had chronic or severe pain find more difficult to cope with suddenly being in a lot of pain. You know the way some people call a cold flu and are off work for a week - they genuinely feel that they are that ill.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »
I agree.

I just phoned a local health club in an attempt to pay a lower fee because with my disability all I can do at most is in the pool, back floating and with buoyancy aids like woggles, doing some non weight bearing core exercises. I wouldn't be able to do a single class of the 200 classes run there each week or use any of the gym equipment on the upper floor. But the clueless salesman was telling me there are water based walking machines up on the gym floor that takes all strain from any joints and that would be great for me, I told him 5 minutes of walking and my pain is severe. No discounts offered so I think it's highly unlikely, but off peak it's a really quiet pool and changing rooms so my social anxiety would cope with me using the building on an off peak membership. Some people think oh back pain, some and see all the equipment that'll help you. Not realising you can't physically get into the gym!

An old friend from there has given me a code for a free day pass here and I'm planning on going there on Wednesday. I think only after a visit will I have a clue as to whether what little I can do there would help me. Because movement is so painful, I have gained weight and I really hate my huge weight gain, morbidly obese officially now. But would floating around the pool with woggles flexing muscles really change that? The only positive thing the salesman said is that given my disability that they'd provide a letter that if ever I felt I had to end the membership due to pain, no notice period need be given to end the membership. It doesn't make sense to me charging the same time me than someone who can throw weights and burn hundreds of calories in the gym and take part in 12 classes a week. Where's the reasonable adjustment in that?!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »
I was in so much pain a week or so back that I took double the maximum dose of both SR tramadol and oramorph not thinking it would affect me as oramorph on its own causes insomnia.  The 2 drugs knocked me out and I kept waking gasping for breath, obviously experiencing sleep apnea. I did realise I was in a danger zone but had no money for a taxi back from hospital so just apnea'd it out. It was actually scary and not something I'd ever do again!