Author Topic: Scampton to be sold!  (Read 215 times)

SteveX

Scampton to be sold!
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
RAF Scampton, a base with a huge amount of history is to be sold off.   This really xxxxed me off big time today!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-44936234

RAF Scampton is a home of the Red Arrows but more importantly its the base the amazing 617 Squadron flew from in World War 2.   The "Dambuster" squadron's home should be preserved and cherished ..not damn well sold off.  Guy Gibson's office is still there kept as it was during the day, and his dog *igger's grave is there (name censored for snowflakes)

I don't mind admitting this made my blood boil.  Selling off our history piece by piece.  >angry< >angry< >angry<
Member of POMMAS

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Scampton to be sold!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Nigger_%28dog%29.jpg)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
Is it going to be housing? 

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »
...his dog *igger's grave is there (name censored for snowflakes)

..irreverent  >lol< >lol<

SteveX

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »

Perhaps, but I wasn't williing to risk being banned if I didn't edit it ;)
Member of POMMAS

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »

Perhaps, but I wasn't williing to risk being banned if I didn't edit it ;)

(https://www.maritimequest.com/misc_pages/monuments_memorials/niggers_grave/niggers_grave_b.jpg)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
.. I wasn't williing to risk being banned if I didn't edit it ;)

>biggrin< no worries, the word would only result in a breach of House Rules if it was used, with plain intention by the person posting it, to directly insult black people.  Quoting others' use of it in a historical context is fine by me - I was, after all, a huge fan of Agatha Christie's '10 Little Niggers', one of the best murder mysteries ever written, IMO!  (The titular ten were actually china figurines, one of which would disappear every time a character was bumped off...)

The RAF Scampton story got a mention on Radio 4's 'PM' programme as well;  it would appear that finding a new home for the Red Arrows is something of a priority.  All about Ministry of Defence cuts, of course, but we seem to have a record of 'selling the family silver' in this country  >erm<

Thanks for the photos, Lankou - nice to see a tribute to the canine hero >thumbsup<

>edit to add
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:13:35 PM by KizzyKazaer »

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »
RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire plays an important role in the protection of UK airspace as the home of No 1 Air Control Centre.

The above is from the RAF's own website.  So, if they close it where is Air Control going?  Where will the Reds, along with their Blues (the engineers) go? Where will the Mobile Meteorological Unit have to go?

OK, the Red Arrows spend more time away from Scampton than actually at it, the Met Unit is by definition mobile, but where are they going to put the 1ACC?  Somewhere in Wales?

In addition the route of Ermine Street was kinked to accommodate the runway, are the Ministry of Transport going to unkink it again?
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel