Author Topic: Belfast Airport turns away wheelchair user  (Read 180 times)

SteveX

Belfast Airport turns away wheelchair user
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45087941

You seriously can't make this crap up.   turned away from a flight to visit his father who has cancer and why?
because his wheelchair repair kit was a 'Security risk'.

The best quote from this was:-  Security staff claimed the spanners would be a security risk because they could be used to "dismantle the plane"

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattt.    >lol< >lol< >lol< >lol<
Member of POMMAS

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Re: Belfast Airport turns away wheelchair user
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
Well, I can see how the spanners could be used to dismantle the aircraft, however, the parts that can be dismantled by the size of spanners in a wheelchair kit are in the big cylinders that hang off the wing!

Oh, unless the gentleman was about to dismantle the seat he was sitting in!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
Apparently the wheelchair user was refusing that they could be stowed in the hold?

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
I've never had any issues flying anywhere in the world with tools, either my wheelchair repair kit stuff or huge bags of all kinds of tools and spares for my handbike.  I used to put them in my hand luggage because they weighed a ton so it kept the hold bags under the maximum weight!! 

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
According to gov.uk hand-luggage-restrictions Spanners are not allowed in hand luggage, however, this is work tools, not maintenance tools. 

So, to play Devil's Advocate, the security guy was doing the right thing.  However, my point of view, these tools were not work tools, but an essential part of the wheelchair, but, why not pack them in hold luggage.  The number of people travelling with only hand luggage is causing problems for disabled people as they need these spanners, and may not want to pay the extra for hold luggage.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel