Author Topic: Disabled Friendly Packaging  (Read 282 times)

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Disabled Friendly Packaging
« on: August 22, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
[rant]

In these days of reduced packaging concerns, trying to get single use packaging scrapped, is it just me that has encountered the problem with film covered plastic packs.  You all know the thing I mean, pre-cooked meats like luncheon meat or ham, uncooked meat like bacon.  The corner of the film is considerately left so that you can grip it, however, as soon as you put the slightest bit of pressure on the film it splits and you are left with a tiny piece of plastic film in your hand and a still completely sealed package.  So, out comes the knife or scissors to pop the cover and you have to cut the film off.

All this depends on if you have the grip between you thumb and forefinger in the first place. 

Wouldn't it be better for the companies that use this sealing method to test it to see how bad it is?

[/rant]
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Disabled Friendly Packaging
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »
I just wish they would stop using adult proof packaging.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
When it comes to food stuffs I usually use a knife or scissors unless there is an obvious easier peel way to do it then I will try that. However I tend to thing easier peel is a hope rather than actuality or maybe it is just a lie because more often than not easy peel is NOT easy peel especially when I cant find the easy peel corner  >steam<

Worse still is that hard clear plastic stuff that items like headphones come in, the sort that is heat seal and you have to cut open with good scissors resulting in a you opened it you are being it situations which can prove problematic when online shopping.

OMG look what I found when I Googled scissors in hard plastic case. See below video for description.

Video shows someone using a can opener to open hard plastic /clam shell packaging.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
PS that You Tube link is not showing as a video in the post I just made, is it working for any of you?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:33:40 PM »
Link is working when clicked on

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Link works for me.

ATurtle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Just one slight problem from my point of view - I can't use a can opener like the one shown, I have to use an electri one that won't grip like that!
Tony.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Thanks Guys  >thumbsup< anad sorry about not replying sooner I had too many dizzy days lately.

ATurtle,

I returned to Google how about this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-24308-Expert-Packaging-Cutter/dp/B009MLUWPQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DQRM8ZSYZ2DDC6TPYSXC

ATurtle

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
I should mention I have adapted to ways of opening these packages, but my main reason for the thread was to find out if these plastic film packages annoyed others.

To be honest the most annoying packages are those that contain everyone's favourite - drug packaging.  I raised my physical adaptation at my PIP appeal, my left thumb nail is kept at a longer length (and slightly more pointed) than the rest, simply for piercing the foil holding them.
Tony.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
I find some of these drug packages easier than others. One pill I take has a container with shallow cups and they are easy to release with just gentle pressure.

Another one is small in comparatively deep cylindrical cups and almost impossible to extract without popping out onto the floor.

Paracetamol tablets seem to come with large cups but foil seems to be reinforced with paper making it difficult to break without using a thumb nail.

Given that many people needing to take pills will have dexterity problems this is bad packaging design which seems to be endemic for all goods anyway.

I have problems with various plastic peel and film sealed packaging which seems ubiquitous. And that's just for starters..

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
I have problems with various plastic peel and film sealed packaging which seems ubiquitous. And that's just for starters..

ohh!! don't get me on plastic peel, I have a really hard time opening the damn things and even the ones that come with an "easy rip off" almost never work, pull the corner and it almost always tears in the wrong place, leaving you needing to get a blade or scissors to open it.  ugghhh
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
I don't have problems with the grip in my hands but opening most plastic packets is done with a craft knife. 
The packets that headphones come in are a pain and you normally get hurt trying to open them.   >steam<