Author Topic: First I've heard of this- Are PIP assessments going to be videoed ?  (Read 1061 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: First I've heard of this- Are PIP assessments going to be videoed ?
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »
Lankou,

I really am losing the will to live here. The whole point of campaigning for assessments to be videoed and sound recorded was to stop the verballing of claimants and the assessors telling outright lies in reports to the DWP.
The number of appeals would fall dramatically and far fewer claimants would be found fit for work at assessments.
I really am sorry if it is difficult for people to understand that.

Could you please just think outside of the box for a few minutes.

In a circumstances where videoing an assessment fails to stop 'verballing' and worst still it is used as evidence by the DWP during appeals and the DWP wins, do you see there is a possibility that the DWP might want everyone's assessment to be videoed?

I am not saying that videoing will help anyone either way because we wont know until it happens. I do have questions that seem to keep being answered with information based on the assumption that videoing will stop 'verballing'.

I hope you are right and in a years time I come back to the thread and post an apology for nagging you to look at the issue from more sides.
We (including JLR and you) are on the same side and its important to remember we each have very different backgrounds so have differing approaches to life and campaigning.

I am hoping you let the people who joined in the campaign to get the DWP to allow videoing of assessments know some of us 'newcomers' think our choices need to be maintained.

edit to fix typo I wrote so when it should have been some SM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:14:52 PM by Sunshine Meadows »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
I have nothing against assessments being recorded, I just don't see it being the cure all that people think.   I have lots of clients who self medicate their mental health issues with either alcohol or street drugs.  You might see these people up the town staring into space until you engage with them and they will mutter away, some can turn up and seem as if they are perfectly polite.

Their assessments normally read, claimant was clean and tidy, had good awareness of their condition, could answer questions coherently, was not rocking ( no excessive distress)  - I then meet them for pre appeal and agree with all of the above but will fight to get them back onto ESA because although they can function for that one 90 minute block, the stress triggers their mental health and they show this in angry outbursts.    They were physically well enough to walk into a room sit at a desk so the video would show that.

Yes having a verbal transcript of the assessment would be useful as long as you don't have a cheeky sarcastic claimant, Oh aye I can walk, I was dancing with my bird last night - translated as I stood in the living room with the budgie on my shoulder and shuffle to the radio.   Or as one client told the appeal panel about the assessor "Oh she was a nice wee lassie so I just told her what she wanted to hear"   >headbang<After explaining to the panel doctor that he knew you were not allowed alcohol in the mental hospital but the stash was kept in the bushes and brought in to order by whoever had a day pass.   A bad panel would have taken that as an ability to plan and budget,  when asked about budgeting the panel member said "remember you told me that 4 cans of super lager was £4.50 in the supermarket, if I gave you 50p change from £10.00 for one pack would you be sure if that was the correct change or not"  His reply was "if I noticed I'd have thought you were a cheat but I think your a nice man"   >doh<   All of this is on tape as appeals are recorded and even listening to the statements doesn't automatically show up the health problems, and he was smart as he was going to see officials  >erm<

I suppose what I'm saying is that he came across as a nice wee man with a drink problem but could function fine as he chose not to cook, he told them he could make meals and would wash every 2 days, After all that I was so relieved to come out of there with an award but another panel would have looked at the same interview / exchange and refused his appeal as he said he could do most things.
I spent a lot of that appeal trying not to giggle as he was unintentionally funny but he had substantial mental health problems which led to the alcohol problems.  It did help that we had a decent DWP presenting officer who said to the panel that bearing in mind what had been heard today he had no problems with the decision being changed.

I still think the problem is that the whole system is based on people meeting certain tick boxes and health is way more complex than that.

JLR2

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 04:49:56 AM »
''...the whole system is based on people meeting certain tick boxes and health is way more complex than that''

I could not have put that better myself, hard as I might try :-)

Your posting there Monic with the references to things you have experienced does cause me to understand better why Lankou has been posting as he has.

JLR2

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
Thought some might like to read this from the newspaper I got today,

‘’People will be given greater choice and control over their assessment through four actions I have committed to today. ‘’People will be invited at a time that suits them and to a location that suits them’’. For those with difficulty travelling, the assessor will come to them. In addition we will introduce audio recordings of assessments as standard to ensure accuracy and transparency. And we will also allow the social security appeals tribunal to access the audio recording to help inform their decision’’. Scottish government Social Security Minister Shirley-Anne Somerville. as reported in The National ( a Scottish Newspaper) today.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »
Thank you and here is the online version http://www.thenational.scot/news/16905443.scottish-government-to-introduce-disability-benefit-assessments-to-suit-applicants/

I hope Scotland is going to be able to show the Englad powers that be that there is a better way to administer assessments and achieve fair results.

“It is clear that the UK Government are content with an approach that sees private-sector assessment providers prioritise profits over people,” said Somerville.

“This Government puts people first and foremost. We will not farm out assessments to private companies.

“Furthermore, under the Scottish Government system, people will be given greater choice and control over their assessment through four actions I have committed to today.

“People will be invited at a time that suits them and to a location that suits them. For those with difficulty travelling, the assessor will come to them.

“In addition, we will introduce audio recordings of assessments as standard to ensure accuracy and transparency. And we will also allow the social security appeals tribunal to access the audio recording to help inform their decision.

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2018, 03:30:07 AM »
I can see the DWP, under McVey, using their idea of video recording as another tool to make face to face assessments as intimidating as possible for claimants.

Fwiw, I have just applied for MR re a PIP assessment. The so-called Assessor seemed utterly obsessed in her "report" that I was clean, tidily dressed, well-spoken and behaved, and showing no outward signs of terror (by then, simply too far gone for that).
Which would in turn appear to have -- for me, adversely -- influenced the Decision Maker who read that report
Assessor's lengthy output containing misrepresentations, omissions and semi-truths may have been a cut-and-paste compendium of stock phrases anyway...
Arguable that sound recording might have helped, though only if a DM had listened to it.
Video wouldn't.
All it would be likely to contain is increasingly angry yes / no answers, at best ...
Would having opted out of image (though not sound) be held against a claimant?
Why have those who rule -- who didn't even want sound recording before  -- now become so amenable to the idea of filming?
Ulterior motives?

I susepect they have become scared because to the number of deaths related to wrong assessments and other DWP activities
(They have been trying to keep their own investigations into it secret but have failed.)
Failed?
Thanks to the mass-media's collusion or lack of interest, most of the public don't even know.

JLR2

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »
''Why have those who rule -- who didn't even want sound recording before  -- now become so amenable to the idea of filming?
Ulterior motives?''

In a nutshell, yes they do have ulterior motives and none of which lie in the interests of disabled benefit claimants.