Author Topic: Have I got this wrong? ESA and Universal Credit  (Read 1896 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Have I got this wrong? ESA and Universal Credit
« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2018 10:00AM »
This is really distressing reading but very useful none the less.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2018 10:25AM »
Fiz - Landlords can apply for direct payments when they have vulnerable tenants, you can request it as well but normally only after the first payment is made to you.  Discretionary housing payments are also available to people on universal credit the same as folk on housing benefit and you should reapply - I know they refused you in the past but you need a spare room for a carer.

Oh Monic thank you so much I have an application in for DHP at the moment as my under occupancy reduction has increased to 25% as dd has finished Uni and this was her official residence as she sofa surfed near wherever her current placements were. When I was just paying the rent for my 6x6ft therapy room where I have mathmos projector etc to try and calm myself I was managing to pay that but always had less than 2 every fortnight when the next fortnightly ESA arrived so I'm terrified of getting into debt or not eating, I had one pay the increased 25% payment for 10 days 10 days ago and I lost 8.25 lbs this last week, I am eating but cheap rubbish and less. I never even thought to ask for a room for a carer before you said this. I am in crisis and feeling very unsafe and have been thinking of going to my sisters as I've been unable to access support here so I think stating I need space for a carer is not in any way an exaggeration. I will email the head of benefits and state that and see if that helps with my DHP application. I said on my claim for that I've been able to afford the one bedroom reduction, just, but that I won't manage a 25% reduction.

The woman who came from the council to complete my application said that the head of benefits is turning down anyone who isn't trying to down size and I have spent so much money getting this house adapted to meet my physical and mental health needs and although it's officially 3 bedrooms it's minute. And there's no way mentally I could cope with moving after everything here. Plus the ISVA is going to request alarms and special locks are fitted here.

I will email right now, that would make such a difference.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #32 on: 17 Oct 2018 10:32PM »
Fiz

If the council can provide you with an adapted flat in a safe space then they would have good reason to refuse you a DHP,  one way to manage this action by the council would be to agree to apply for a move and then be very strict in the criteria - list a specific area, with a 2 bed house on the level with secure entry, you need 2 bedrooms as you need an overnight carer.

Im not saying you would move but its very unlikely the council will have suitable accommodation available.
 >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2018 04:26PM »
That is true.

I've been in touch with the council and I have to say how often a carer stays overnight to get the disregard but it seems possible. I'm in a 2 and 8 having paid the increased amount for 10 days, so a week at 25% then working out 3 days of 25% and the rest of the week at the lower rate now need to work out backwards how much I've overpaid if my spare room is regarded as a room for a carer. Because I'm unwell at the moment the calculation is totally beyond me so I've just reduced my fortnightly rent in advance down to 10 online banking and hope I can sort myself out before I get into arrears.

It would be really useful I local authorities told us what we needed to pay as the under occupancy reduction in HB instead of telling us a percentage and if the percentage changes mid week like it did with dd then the calculation was not easy. I might have got it wrong and I can't attempt it now backwards.

Monic1511

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2018 07:51PM »
Local authorities have discretion on how they calculate the awards of DHP.  Its not a set system,  my council covers all under occ charges for council tenants on HB, then they calculate the rest depending on each persons circumstances. 

With that calculation its no wonder your confused.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2018 10:28AM »
Fiz,

If you dont get the Discretionary Housing Payment would you consider getting a lodger to share the housing costs - maybe a student so they were not there all the time?

If Mr Sunshine were to lose his job our fall back position is renting out the spare room?

Monic,

Are you able to look up and post the rules on what happens if you rent a room when you are on Income Based Benefits?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2018 03:15PM »
The trouble is I never have the hot water on unless dd is here because she needs baths to soak in her eczema stuff whereas I use the electric shower and then rarely more than once a week due to lack of motivation.  My house looks like I'm depressed and only the lounge and spare bedroom is clean. I live in chaos. Many winters I've not turned the heating on at all to save money, this year I've set it to timed but the thermostat is set at 10. If I were to have a lodger I'd need to somehow clean the house, the shower screen is broken so I'd need to pay someone to fix that, I'd need to heat the house to a good standard and have hot water plus I'm usually crying by 4pm at the latest and my evenings are awful distress wise and I try to medicate myself to sleep as soon as possible. Even if I had a female lodger I'd not to be to say she couldn't have a male visitor and it's really tricky having males in my safe place so for those reasons plus others a lodger isn't viable. Also I do have people stay in the spare room, dd and friends so I'd miss the ability to be able to. I'll just have to make do. It does look likely that I'll be allowed the bedroom disregard for the spare room and so far I've managed to keep up with the payments for my therapy room. I wouldn't want to share a house with me!

Monic1511

« Reply #37 on: 23 Oct 2018 10:08PM »
Hi Fiz

I haven't posted the rules re income from a lodger as I doubted you would accept a lodger,
my basic understanding is that the authorities ignore the first 5 and then treat the rest as income
I will need to clarify that but not sure they would look at it any other way.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 24 Oct 2018 08:46AM »
You're absolutely right monic, I take diazepam if a female visitor enters my safe space and to have stranger move in would cause me massive anxiety and I'd have to refuse them visitors which isn't reasonable either. And as you say means tested income would drop by anything they gave me, bar 5 ad I wouldn't financially manage on the reduced income.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: 24 Oct 2018 09:54AM »
Fiz,

I now realise I was thinking to laterally when I asked about a lodger so thank you for explaining  >hugs<

Thinking about it now I used to get wound up when trades people were coming to do work on the house. There would be a general worry about men and also about a stranger judging me and my disability. Your are right about the heating and how the house is to live in, you have so little heating is worrying but I get that finances wont stretch.