Author Topic: are these paintings low taste or not?  (Read 398 times)

Offworld

• Charter Member
are these paintings low taste or not?
« on: 16 Oct 2018 11:03PM »
Been a lot of nose-turnup comment, notably in the Guardian, about Trump having bought one of these paintings (of Republican Presidents having a drink together)  to hang in the White House...
https://andythomas.com/product-category/political-prints/
Yet why? Politicians buying cartoons of themselves were not regarded the same way.
These Republican and  Democrat fantasy gatherings look well done --  more natural than formal portraits, and it's nothing to do with views about this or that character in them -- they're just quite informative (like for instance an accurate statue), not points-scoring. Perhaps one of the other 'label' would best be added....
 >blush<   Am I sadly deficient in taste, or does anyone else think they are ok?

JLR2

Re: are these paintings low taste or not?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2018 06:10AM »
Fair to say, I feel, the painting of the Presidents does look well painted by the artist the only thing spoiling it, for me, is the inclusion of Trump.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: are these paintings low taste or not?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2018 02:12PM »
I like the painting style and it looks good enough. I dont know whether Trump got the picture put up at the White House was because he sees himself as good as the other former Presidents or maybe he just wants to make out they would have wanted to spend time with him socially. To me it looks like something that would more usually get put up as a talking point rather than as a piece of art.

Years back I was friends with a few Republican Libertarian type and one in particular would have got a kick out of left wing liberals reaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/15/donald-trump-painting-artist-white-house-presidents