Author Topic: Fracking in the UK  (Read 151 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Fracking in the UK
« on: 07 Nov 2018 05:17PM »
Years ago I kept up with environmental news and even took part in some campaigns. I wonder can we talk about these sort of issues here. The only way I can know is to start posting and see how it goes.

If you click on this Greenpeace link have a read then come back and make a post that would be grand.

New roads would be built for the thousands of polluting diesel trucks laden with chemicals, fracking fluid and waste fluids travelling to and from the drilling site. A report for Cuadrilla suggests that in drilling areas 6-17 trucks a day could be needed – over five years.

I knew about the pollution that comes about as part of the fracking process but had not thought about the pollution made by diesel trucks. It seems bonkers to me that on one had diesel cars are being 'phased' out and yet I have not heard anything about the trucks used in fracking.

It is a bit of a leap into a future thought but maybe someone already made a banner that says ' Fracking to provide fuel to burn to make electricity that drives the trucks that brings the supplies to enable fracking - silly or stupid?'
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2018 08:31PM by Sunshine Meadows »

SteveX

Re: Fracking in the UK
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2018 07:07PM »
I will lay my cards down on the table, I am solidly anti-fracking, and no this is purely not a 'NIMBY' thing (although yes, they are doing it very close to me)

I feel its just the wrong thing to do and will undoubtibly cause serious issues down the line.

The council here spent a lot of time looking into it and at the end they voted to ban it, ..then the government utterly ignored them and pushed it through regardless.  (would they do the same if they were fracking in london?  somehow I doubt it)

I think it's utterly despicible the way the people's and the councils opinions are just tossed aside as the tories only see one thing and one thing only.. their almighty GOD  ..this:-  ££££££££££££££

Fracking has already been banned in many places, it's proved to be a flawed idea, fine if you frack in the middle of nowhere.. but fracking so close to towns is beyond idiotic and nothing good will come of it.

It's just utter shortsightedness at its worst.
Member of POMMAS

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2018 07:27PM »
I will lay my cards down on the table, I am solidly anti-fracking, and no this is purely not a 'NIMBY' thing (although yes, they are doing it very close to me)

I feel its just the wrong thing to do and will undoubtibly cause serious issues down the line.

The council here spent a lot of time looking into it and at the end they voted to ban it, ..then the government utterly ignored them and pushed it through regardless.  (would they do the same if they were fracking in london?  somehow I doubt it)

I think it's utterly despicible the way the people's and the councils opinions are just tossed aside as the tories only see one thing and one thing only.. their almighty GOD  ..this:-  ££££££££££££££

Fracking has already been banned in many places, it's proved to be a flawed idea, fine if you frack in the middle of nowhere.. but fracking so close to towns is beyond idiotic and nothing good will come of it.

It's just utter shortsightedness at its worst.

Ditto

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2018 09:10PM »
Being facetious I told my brother who is pro independence that he shouldn’t be anti fracking after all continued fracking just might rupture the uk landmass along the pre existing fault lines.

Fracking is a stupid shortsighted idea and all the pro fracking lobby see is £££££££

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 09 Nov 2018 05:10PM »
And there's those mini-earthquakes it causes - just doesn't seem very safe to me  >erm<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2018 09:53AM »
And there's those mini-earthquakes it causes - just doesn't seem very safe to me  >erm< title=erm

Trying not to go completely off topic here but that makes me think of the end of the movie called Core when they use a serious of explosions to cause a rippling affect that builds from one explosion to the next until the earths core is restarted. Fracking firm boss says it didn't expect to cause such serious quakes the title of this article says it all really  >doh< If the people doing the fracking are surprised when serious quakes occur then the science of fracking is not advanced enough to mean it is properly understood so it should be stopped.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2018 09:31AM »
Where there’s a sniff of money they’ll find a reason to keep going.

Add in brexit and you have a different mess to deal with,  oh we need to be self sufficient as we can’t buy from Europe at the price we want.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2018 09:55AM »
Where there’s a sniff of money they’ll find a reason to keep going.

I once read an article which talked about how much fuel it took to get more fuel eg by fracking. It said as long as there is a profit to be made by capitalist they will want to do whatever it takes. The agreement is that the boards of big companies don't see fossil fuels as a finite resource so they dont question themselves over using say two barrels of fuel to get three barrels of fuel. In fact as fuel becomes harder to come by the process will go up and the profit will continue to exist.

Brexit  >steam< if we end up out of Europe I wonder who the scapegoats will be, we need a Brexit thread.