Author Topic: Crutch Ferrules  (Read 4165 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Crutch Ferrules
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
Hi all

I had my first slip of the soggy season this morning (left crutch hit a patch of decomposing leaf in the back yard and skidded off. You can guess the rest. Pelvis and left leg feel like they're on fire!) So to all you fellow crutch-users my question is, do things like pipped or Slipnott ferrules actually work? And what about those allegedly geared for icy conditions? Any good?

Thanks in advance  :-)

leaf

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Crutch Ferrules
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:42 PM »
I hope you recover swiftly from your fall.
I had to buy a new stick the other week, and didn't have the chance to buy a z-type ferrule for it, which is the type on my old stick (large grey thing, pretty standard nhs type). The new one was c-type pipped, and quite frankly it isn't up to much, it was quite slippery to begin with, but with some wearing in, it improved. However, the wear rate is rapid. 14 days on and it's bald, and I would imagine it has little grip left. It hasn't had a lot of use either.

I did look up a few ferrules, and the slipnott type look pretty good, even one type with level pips (studs) which look far more robust than the pips on the c-type ferrules.

There's also the stepsafe type, which like the slipnott have a pivoted foot, so that there is always a good connection with the ground whatever the strike angle. The pivoted section looks a bit too large so i wonder about it's stability. It did say in the blurb that it also acted as a shock absorber, reducing the jarring on the wrist, elbow and shoulders. That sounds quite appealing to me. But I don't like the size of the pivot, which would mean permanently shortening my sticks. I guess that wouldn't be a problem with crutches if they are adjustable.

The slipnott and stepsafe are quite costly in comparison to the standard types.

I can't find any online reviews for the slipnott or stepsafe.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Leaf. I haven't noticed any online reviews of the slipnott or stepsafe types either.  There are a couple of mobility shops and showrooms here in Belfast, so I might try to contact them to see if they have any demonstration models I could try out when I'm feeling a bit better. If successful, I'll let you know how I get on. The slipnott style ferrules do look very robust indeed, but 31.00 is just too much money to spend on something potentially unsuitable.  >erm<

Yvette

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
I don't know of the ferrules you mention.

For indoors, these are very good, but I've never tried them outdoors:

http://www.flexyfoot.com/

Outside, I use the Fetterman's crutch/stick tips, which admittedly are expensive, but they have lasted me for years!

http://www.mustgetit.com/pages/tips.htm

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »

wow yvette, the flexifoot looks great, do you know if they are a standard size?, as i would like to purchase one for my stick, my stick is from walkeasy, and the ferrule is wearing down.

Thanks for the link  :-)

Yvette

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
I'm glad you like them.  You'll need to phone them to make sure of the size though.  :-)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
The Fetterman's tips look fantastic! Thanks for the link, yvette  :-) I especially like the shock absorbing aspect, and the Rain Rings.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »
Off topic but Crutch Ferrules sounds like a good name for a character in a book or a film.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
 >lol< Yes, but it's what sort of book or film that's the worrying thing!

Otter

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »
will also look into this, though you can now get arctic style grips that fit on shoes

did finally get a ferrule for right crutch although it is not a specific crutch one, so still looking out for a replacement

this is what gets me about mobility esq shops many are geared to the (un) caring industry, I think a test for all these establishments should be 1. they stock ferrules all sizes and plenty of them and 2. they stock wheelie puncture repair kits and spares, if not they have no right to call themselves a mobility shop

Yvette

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
Rotfl   >lol<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
will also look into this, though you can now get arctic style grips that fit on shoes

did finally get a ferrule for right crutch although it is not a specific crutch one, so still looking out for a replacement

this is what gets me about mobility esq shops many are geared to the (un) caring industry, I think a test for all these establishments should be 1. they stock ferrules all sizes and plenty of them and 2. they stock wheelie puncture repair kits and spares, if not they have no right to call themselves a mobility shop

Exactly,I have to get my Wheelie spare inner tubes on-line, as the mobility shops never seem to have spares in  >doh< I have just purches a pair of schwalbe marathon tyres, pucture proof, well only time will tell.  You still need a bloomin inner tube in them, and it took ages to get my size from schwalbe, i think it was about 8 months from order date to delivery, as 25" are not standard stock!!!!!!!

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 09:18:28 PM »
, and it took ages to get my size from schwalbe, i think it was about 8 months from order date to delivery, as 25" are not standard stock!!!!!!!

Are these the ones:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Marathon-Greenguard-Reflex-25-622/dp/B004T0E2M4

Yvette

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
schwalbe marathon tyres, pucture proof

I had a pair of those.  They weren't puncture proof.  So I bought a pair of solid tyres. 

The ride isn't quite as comfortable as on tyres with inner tubes but it is worth not having the hassle of having to deal with a puncture.

In our village, the bike shop has closed up, so it is quite a journey to get to the nearest bike shop for having tyres changed and I can't always manage it.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
For 'indoor' sticks it may be worth noting that Wilkinson's do studded ferrules for literally pennies. They don't look as if they would last very long outside.
Having said that, I bought a super-light foam handled aluminium stick for about 4 from a discount shop and the ferrule lasted one outing on pavements!
The shock absorbent ferrules look tempting. I quite like the bright red ferrule that matches my Switch Stick, but it is starting to show a few signs of wear.
I'm hoping I can remember where I put the spiked ice grip for my stick when I took it off in March.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker