Author Topic: Another which way cartoon in the DM  (Read 5564 times)

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Another which way cartoon in the DM
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armypayscales.htm

not so bad if your a brigadier and well away from the sharp end.

I notice they don't mention all the money and lives wasted by the action in Afghanistan.

Or the fact that that soldier may come home minus a few bits and pieces and end up on benefits himself.

Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »
 >steam<

5.2% rise in line with inflation for people on benefits who are often by definition living on the minimum amout of money that the DWP believes people can live on. I dont have any figures to hand but just how much were the bankers bonuses this year. >thumbsdown<

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I dont have any figures to hand but just how much were the bankers bonuses this year. >thumbsdown<

Too much!

There was another article regarding army pay rise and benefits rise. Some were moaning that the Army will only get 1% pay rise - that's a lot more in monetary terms than what people on benefits get.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »
I wouldl be happy for soldiers and other service personnel to be paid more especially those on the front line. After all if cost more to go to war maybe our government would be forced to actually think and act on the idea that we need to have a fairer society for all.

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Some were moaning that the Army will only get 1% pay rise

The corporatist US Pentagon should be paying. It might as well also be their Army when it comes to expense, since nowadays it effectively is when it comes to what and who's interests are being served.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Just so you all know. The lowest rank soldier i.e rifleman, craftsman, private's pay in their bank account will be around 1,000 to 1,100 per month, and that is whilst they are serving in Afghanistan.

So i really do think that is a pittance, and yes, they all know what they are getting into when they sign up, but i would gladly see them get a pay rise, just my opinion   :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
Yet more 'divide and rule' from the DM, under the sneaky guise of humour this time  >doh<

Sofie

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
I seem to remember they get allowances on top too.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
With the armed forces it is not so much about the money I got far less than that but it was at least for me any way, also about pride in wearing the uniform and serving my country and I got to see more of the world than I would have otherwise done. Though  the money was handy as well.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:20:48 PM »
I seem to remember they get allowances on top too.

LOA - Local Overseas Allowance, which actully doesnt add up to that much, not when you consider what they go through, mentally and physically. 

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
Members of the armed forces do get to travel (though not always to places they'd like).
The pay is not necessarily as little as it looks, though - is it still true that while on service they have no bills to pay, food to buy, etc.? 
Food, accomodation, travel, most clothing & kit provided plus 1000 a month doesn't sound too bad for an eighteen-year-old.  Many (?most) of them are trained in skills that they can use in civilian life later (unfortunately money management isn't always one of them)...
They are expected to work hard and do have some awful experiences. I don't know how well they are looked after long-term if they are badly affected by what they have seen & had to do.
I am not suggesting they are overpaid at all, just that it's a bit more complicated than such a simple comparison makes it sound.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
Members of the armed forces do get to travel (though not always to places they'd like).
The pay is not necessarily as little as it looks, though - is it still true that while on service they have no bills to pay, food to buy, etc.? 
Food, accomodation, travel, most clothing & kit provided plus 1000 a month doesn't sound too bad for an eighteen-year-old.  Many (?most) of them are trained in skills that they can use in civilian life later (unfortunately money management isn't always one of them)...
They are expected to work hard and do have some awful experiences. I don't know how well they are looked after long-term if they are badly affected by what they have seen & had to do.
I am not suggesting they are overpaid at all, just that it's a bit more complicated than such a simple comparison makes it sound.

I was an Army wife for 20 yrs, and we did indeed have to pay for food, bills, rent, etc. my husband started at the bottom rank, and lets just say we didnt have a "pot to piss in", so i actually do know what i am talking about.

they also have to buy certain items of their kit, well thats if they want boots to keep the water and sand out!!

But i certainly do not wish to get into an argument over this, its just i feel quite passionate about those who now serve in the forces. 

Sofie

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
Indeed, Seegee. I seem to remember that they also get more days off (38) per year than civilians.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
"Members of the armed forces do get to travel (though not always to places they'd like)."

Oh I don't know, I quite liked Belfast apart from the bullets and the bombs that is.

It wasn't so much the place I disliked just some of the people in it.