Author Topic: Lack of Disabled Person's Toilet's  (Read 14166 times)

ilovepinkandpurple

Re: Lack of Disabled Person's Toilet's
« Reply #30 on: 07 Dec 2011 04:35PM »
"I thoughtdisabled toilets are only for people who use a wheelchair Sean. wonder why RNIB give them out"

A slightly narrow view.

Just because the universally recognised sign for 'disabled' is a wheelchair it doesn't mean that all disabled people are wheelchair users.

Accessible toilets are for people who need them. This includes wheelchair users, people who need someone to help them, people who need the grab rails, people whose disability means they can't wait, people who can't climb the stairs to the ordinary toilets, people who need the extra space (for equipment, adjusting their clothes, performing 'medical' procedures injections and other, perhaps intimate, procedures) etc etc. Some of these people are blind.

One third of babies born blind have additional impairments.

I'm sure that the RNIB only give RADAR keys to people that need them. Similarly, local authorities issue RADAR keys. They give them to people who need them, not to everybody in their area.
i know not all disabled people are wheelchair users >doh<ijust had it in my head that because of the wheelchair sign that they where only for people who use a wheelchair >doh<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: 07 Dec 2011 05:02PM »
Hello Otter

Thankyou for informing me about the ratio of toilets council's have to provide but it smack's of discrimantion + that implie's council's are guilty of hate crime toward's disabled peopl. The only justifation would be put us in residental home'e + they are instution's like prison's + we have'nt committed a crime unlike Hate crime's that council's can not justify

Sofie

« Reply #32 on: 07 Dec 2011 05:46PM »
"I thoughtdisabled toilets are only for people who use a wheelchair Sean. wonder why RNIB give them out"

A slightly narrow view.

Just because the universally recognised sign for 'disabled' is a wheelchair it doesn't mean that all disabled people are wheelchair users.

Accessible toilets are for people who need them. This includes wheelchair users, people who need someone to help them, people who need the grab rails, people whose disability means they can't wait, people who can't climb the stairs to the ordinary toilets, people who need the extra space (for equipment, adjusting their clothes, performing 'medical' procedures injections and other, perhaps intimate, procedures) etc etc. Some of these people are blind.

One third of babies born blind have additional impairments.

I'm sure that the RNIB only give RADAR keys to people that need them. Similarly, local authorities issue RADAR keys. They give them to people who need them, not to everybody in their area.
i know not all disabled people are wheelchair users >doh<ijust had it in my head that because of the wheelchair sign that they where only for people who use a wheelchair >doh<

But the wheelchair is the symbol for disabled, (why?) yet, many other groups of disabled people are perfectly entitled to use those other facilities. Do find it odd that you make the statement about thinking that only wheelchair users can use them and then say that you use them due to bladder problems.

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #33 on: 07 Dec 2011 05:59PM »
I said i only use disabled toilets if all the other toilets are full >doh<because i cant wait for a ordinary toilet in a que of people. i said i always had it in my head that because of the wheelchair sign disabled toilets where only for people who use wheel chairs.because thats what the sign has a wheelchair whats odd about that >doh<

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #34 on: 07 Dec 2011 06:02PM »
i didnt say it the way you said it in the last bit of your post Sofie >doh< thats not what i said >rolleyes<

Sofie

« Reply #35 on: 07 Dec 2011 06:07PM »
i said i always had it in my head that because of the wheelchair sign disabled toilets where only for people who use wheel chairs.because thats what the sign has a wheelchair

Going by your logic, then only wheelchair users can use disabled parking bays. >doh<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: 07 Dec 2011 06:11PM »
Sofie,

This is how I read what Pink said, she assumed that the wheelchair sign meant wheelchair users only, so even though she herself is disabled she only used the disabled toilet if desperate. Since she first posted that she has recognised her mistake and now knows that the wheelchair sign means any disabled person.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: 07 Dec 2011 06:16PM »
As a disabled wheelchair user, I do not have an objection to a able bodied person using a disabled person's toilet if they are in real need and desperate.

I do think kindness and consideration in times of need can encourage other people to behave in the same way. I know there are abled bodied people who dont give tuppence for other people's needs , but there are also people who do care. The problem is when someone who is able bodied thinks they have as much right to use a disabled toilet as anyone else.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: 07 Dec 2011 09:10PM »
I only use the disabled toilets if the the other ones are full sometimes Sherbs because i have a week bladder and i cant wait.

Pinky, I wasnt getting at you for using the disabled toilets,   >hugs< you should be able to use them if you have a weak bladder, please dont think i was being nasty  >hugs<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: 07 Dec 2011 09:15PM »
As a disabled wheelchair user, I do not have an objection to a able bodied person using a disabled person's toilet if they are in real need and desperate.

I do think kindness and consideration in times of need can encourage other people to behave in the same way. I know there are abled bodied people who dont give tuppence for other people's needs , but there are also people who do care. The problem is when someone who is able bodied thinks they have as much right to use a disabled toilet as anyone else.

Totally agree Sunshine

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #40 on: 07 Dec 2011 10:21PM »
I only use the disabled toilets if the the other ones are full sometimes Sherbs because i have a week bladder and i cant wait.

Pinky, I wasnt getting at you for using the disabled toilets,   >hugs< you should be able to use them if you have a weak bladder, please dont think i was being nasty  >hugs<
   >hugs< >rainbow<

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: 09 Dec 2011 03:23AM »
I am capable of using a standard cubicle toilet but in Darlington's Cornmill Centre the non - accessible toilets are down two flights of surprisingly steep and slippy stairs. There is a lift if you are prepared to wait 10 minutes for it, and the RADAR  accessible toilet is alongside the lift. Last time I used the accessible toilet a woman in late middle age was walking past as I came out of said loo,  clearly headed for the downstairs loos.
She was quite well built and appreciated my asking 'Would you like to use this one?', saying her knees didn't cope well with the stairs.  No, she wasn't desperate, but those stairs are no joke for anyone with even slightly impaired mobility.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: 09 Dec 2011 06:31AM »
Our council has closed all the public toilets maintained by them. There are still some in the shopping centres but they come under the management of the centres. They have agreements with certain shops and pubs to allow people to use their toilets even if they are not customers. There was a lot of protest about this but they still did it anyway. I think this is a backward step for civilisation and not what I was led to believe life would be like in the 21st century. I really shouldn't have read all that science fiction :)

catspjs

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2011 03:13PM »
I thoughtdisabled toilets are only for people who use a wheelchair Sean. wonder why RNIB give them out

Disabled loos are for anyone with a "medical" need who needs them. althought most blind people are physicall able I can see (sorry not trying to be funny) that more room would be of benifit, especially to have space to lean their cane up without it falling or even room for their canine partner.  and normal loos can have hidden steps or trip obstacles too.

I have always had mobility issues and the tiny normaly loos have always been an issue even before I needed someone to help me when I was a walking wobbly and now a wheelie. 

seemly able bodied people with a hidden bladder/incontance urgency issue can also use them and keys are avalable on bladder webgroups.

I myself have just sent one to me 89year old aunt to use as my uncle has Altzimers and tends to wander off when she is in the ladies. so for his safety ( and to make sure he puts himself & clothing back together properly) they really need to stay together.

but I really do object to the parents with children older than 5 using them just coz the have lots of shopping or can fit every one in.  they dont even have the maners to let the waiting disabled and elderly go first.

and another pet hate is that the baby change (if it really needs to be there) is not disabled accessible for a disabled parent. it takes up room in our loo and we cant even make use of it. grrr

and dont get me started on people smoking in them >steam<

catspjs

• Charter Member
  • Silver Member
dont know where I first saw this petition. may have been on ouch but Ive blogged it everyplace I visit.

If you feel strongly about the number and quality of disabled loos, klick the link below and sign the petition for better disabled looS and the right to pee with access..

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/15258