Author Topic: Lack of Disabled Person's Toilet's  (Read 14145 times)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Lack of Disabled Person's Toilet's
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:07 PM »
Yesterday I used the disabled person's toilet in TESCO'S Askmbar York but 3 mile's to the next near'st in Front street Acomb York but while rushing there in my buggy I wet myself + my Question is why ca'nt we have more disabled person's toilet+s not all disabled live in a residental home as we want to keep our IDENITY as we were born with it (we are people NOT bloody unit's/number's to be pushed around like stick's of furniture)

This is the Q+A page, so  can we have a petion page to send to the govt it might change nothing but at least we will of registerd our complaunt

sherbs

• Charter Member
Re: Lack of Disabled Person's Toilet's
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
Bulekingfisher

I absolutely understand, i have had a few near misses, urghh!!, what really annoys me is when children and their parents use the disabled toilets, like they cant use the usual toilets, whats that all about ??, and i dont mean babies being changed, but 5 / 6 yr old children and their parents.  >steam<

Mistynow

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:46:52 PM »
I also totally understand, we have to plan our outings around distance to toilets.

What really winds me up is tourist cities that lock up the Disabled Toilets in the evening, I have phoned Canterbury Civic amenties on numerous occasions on that subject as due to being a conservation area many cafes/restaurants/bars don't have permission/room to install disabled loos, our undignified solution as suggested by a district nurse is to have a bedpan in the car which himself can slide me onto.......

as for mothers and buggies sharing the toilets with their changing facilities, wish they would put the nappies in the receptacles provided.....

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »
I would think that the disabled toilets are large enough for mum plus buggy plus shopping plus children; all can get in there together do to the necessary.  That is why they use the disabled. 

But I do object to the disabled loos also having the baby changing unit in them

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:08:05 AM »
I would think that the disabled toilets are large enough for mum plus buggy plus shopping plus children; all can get in there together do to the necessary.  That is why they use the disabled. 

But I do object to the disabled loos also having the baby changing unit in them

So they just use them because they are a convenience.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
If i am out shopping in a shopping center and all the other toilets are full and i really have to go badly and cant wait i use the disabled toilets if they are empty

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »
Hello Mistynow

I thought all disabled person's toilet's could only be opened  by R.A.D.E.R key's had to be bought by disabled people only from the local council so how can they justify putting baby changing facilty's in there. Also if disabled people let an A.B relitve use/borrow their key can the disabled person be finned/have the key consfacted/removed from their supervison as it could be called living of im-moral earning's

fairysparkle

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Radar keys can be bought and are used for some toilets, not all. No, there are no fines given in these circumstances.

I agree re parent and child stuff - I mean it's madness to have them share facilities with changing babies, but that's understandable. Taking in an AB child when you are an AB parent and there are other toilets nearby is not on. It's not a great lesson to teach them.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
I know that some AB mothers use the disabled toilets when sons are too old to use lady's toilets but still too young to want them in the gents on their own - and, of course, vice verse with AB fathers and female children.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
So what has happened to the number of baby changing places then?

Isn't there enough places to change babies then?

So then number of disabled toilets and baby changing places needs to be increased and put in the right places...

Which more or all of the disabled toilets only accessible through the RADAR key...
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sofie

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:03:46 PM »
Radar keys can be bought and are used for some toilets, not all. No, there are no fines given in these circumstances.

When you buy a radar key from radar, you don't have to provide any proof that you have a disability. I have heard of someone using the disabled toilets because they're cleaner. >angry<

I will use a disabled toilet if I am that desperate and there's no other toilet nearby.

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
Many years ago I bought my RADAR key from my 'then' local council, and had to show my Blue Badge to prove that I was eligible.

Sean

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
I knew someone with vision impairment who bought a load of RADAR keys for 1, possibly from the RNIB, and proceeded to sell them for a fiver each!

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:51:05 PM »
the ratio in the UK for councils is to provide a urinal/loo for every 10,000 persons and a db loo for every 100,000 - meaning there are only 600 of them in the country- little wonder you got caught out Bule

ilovepinkandpurple

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »
I thoughtdisabled toilets are only for people who use a wheelchair Sean. wonder why RNIB give them out