Author Topic: Ouchtoo Facebook page  (Read 4431 times)

Stranded

• Gold Member
  • Anti Atos to the core
Ouchtoo Facebook page
« on: December 16, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
Do you think it is a good idea to set up a Ouchtoo facebook page in order to bring a wider audience to the issues that Ouchers have to deal with? 

Having seen the couple of comments I see the confusion.  My bad

The page would be Ouchtoo and would be like a promo page for a product.  Like or hate brown stuff has one http://www.facebook.com/Marmite?ref=ts&sk=wall?WT.srch=1     You don't have to be a member of facebook to see it

It may help with promoting causes, petitions and protests that Ouchtooers can nominate and vote on prior to going up.  Many disabled people do not know of the existence of Ouchtoo or even the old Ouch forum and family members and ables  may feel out of place on the forum but with facebook they can join in on key issues that are at the forefront of Ouchtoo without having to join up.  The same applies to twitter

It can be set up using a free email account managed by the administrators as would the page. 

The wall will be open to all on the internet just like the example and if there are concerns over inundation on the forum then we can use a slightly different name but that's a different vote

I hope this clears things up a little and please ask questions if in doubt. :-)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:26:53 PM by Stranded »

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Ouchtoo Facebook page
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:28:27 PM »
Sorry, but I'm undecided - not everyone 'does' Facebook, including me... I don't trust it with personal information, for starters!

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
I have two accounts 'my account' and Sunshine Meadows.

I added a page ages ago http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ouch-Too/187248554673611?sk=wall >biggrin<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
I dont do Facebook  :-(

Sean

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
Kizzy, you can give as much or as little personal information as you wish on Facebook. For my part I lied about everything. The fact is I don't actually exist, except as an entity over the ether(if such a thing can be)!

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
Stranded,

Now that Ouch Too. org is up and running and once the festive season is over I will be using more of my time for the campaigning side and trying to make a difference to that side of things.

I did try an Ouch Too blog but there was not room in the blogsphere by which I mean there are plenty of good disability blogs out there and I was not able to bring anything better to the table. One big frustration I have at the moment is I cant find contact details on blogs which would allow me to ask the people writing blogs to add a link onto their blogroll so people will know Ouch Too exists.

I also hoped more bloggers would be popping by and joining in. It worries me that the fact people did not know me before I built the Aimoo site has put them off jumping aboard.

I read a survey a while ago and it said fewer disabled people than able bodied people use the internet, I dont know if that is correct but wish I could change that somehow.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Sean - but then, if everything on it was a porkie, what would be the point of having a Facebook account?  I always thought it was for people who wanted to stay in touch with, say, old school friends, relatives who might be abroad, stuff like that.  For which it does the job very well, I understand from those who use it for that purpose.  But I haven't got any desire to collect 'friends' and all that, so it seems a bit of a waste of time to be part of it  >erm<

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:04 PM »
Kizzy,

The problem with Facebook is it is always time hungry and while I did made the Sunshine Meadows account over their a lack of spoons has meant I have barely used it. It is a bit :-( that some people who were posting on Aimoo Ouch have not made it here but they are still using Facebook. I mean I am happy the like Facebook and have friends to be with but I wish I knew the magic formula.

:-)  >hugs<

Sean

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
Kizzy, just because I'm a figment of the WWW etherspace doesn't mean I can't have make believe friends.

Stranded

• Gold Member
  • Anti Atos to the core
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:32 PM »
I have two accounts 'my account' and Sunshine Meadows.

I added a page ages ago http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ouch-Too/187248554673611?sk=wall >biggrin<

I tried ouchtoo as one word and nothing came up hence the suggestion.   I think that although there are genuine concerns, you dont have to be on facebook to participate as you are already doing it here. 

The facebook wall is a shop window for the forum where people can do simple and basic support and is more for outsiders whereas the forum is for hard core posters who are more aware and can give help and support on a closer level. It can also be used for fundraising for the site as well   

For those with facebook, which incidentally I'm not, it is a way of sharing your concerns with you friends and promoting Ouchtoo into the bargain if you choose to.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »
The problem with Facebook is it is always time hungry

Ah yes, that's another reason I don't use it - I spend enough time as it is on message boards  >biggrin<

MBs really are my personal favourite means of communication via the Internet, as you can be anonymous, register without playing twenty questions, and say something openly that a large number of people can read (and respond to if they so wish).   Seems like the quickest way to 'disseminate information'.   And, of course, they usually have some kind of moderation and are safe spaces  >thumbsup<

Sean  >lol<

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
I joined Facebook so that I could "like" things (but I have several imaginary friends, too...  >biggrin< )

Maybe an "RSS feed" is similar to "liking", so you see a list of things that you are interested in, but I haven't got the hang of that newfangled technology yet, so I wouldn't know...

TechnologicaldinosaurQ

Sofie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
One big frustration I have at the moment is I cant find contact details on blogs which would allow me to ask the people writing blogs to add a link onto their blogroll so people will know Ouch Too exists.

When I next update my blog, I shall do this. :)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 04:38:54 AM »
"Undecided" - the communications bottleneck that goes with my disability means that I don't have the spare capacity for Facebook. I find message boards vastly more accessible.

Stranded

• Gold Member
  • Anti Atos to the core
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
I think people are getting the wrong end of the stck.  Facebook does not require the Ouchtooers to participate it is just an advertising wall with relative info

My son done a quick one this morning http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anti-Medical-Assessment/126774700771977?sk=info

No name just a free email account was used to set it up

It's short and too the point and shows how it can be used as as a platform to the general public

Something of  little diversion here a page was found when trying to find a pic.  It's about Atos and contains strong language

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2011/08/483101.html

So you can understand why the page is a good idea