Author Topic: Anyone else fed up of smelling of "Deep Heat"?  (Read 8960 times)

Yvette

Anyone else fed up of smelling of "Deep Heat"?
« on: 10 Jan 2012 06:32PM »
I am so fed up of smelling of Deep Heat.

Every time I get into bed, the bed stinks of it.   I have to put towels on my recliner chair to stop the chair stinking of it. 

Deep Heat does the job better than any other liniment/cream I've tried but does it ever pong!!

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Anyone else fed up of smelling of "Deep Heat"?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2012 06:34PM »
I agree, Deep Heat does have a rather strong aroma - overwhelming when lining up at the start of a race cos many runners use it a lot.
(Un?)fortunately, I am hypersensitive to all of these things so cannot use them.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2012 06:41PM »
Have you ever tried Bio Freeze? I know that also smells but not as much.

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2012 06:54PM »
Ooooh, I do like Deep Heat but I know what you mean about the scent which is rather longlasting.  My favourite for necks and headaches and for smell is Tiger Balm - I find the aroma very comforting  >erm<  (I suppose it must be because I associate the smell with the beginning of the end of the headache if you see what I mean).

The one I am prescribed for muscle pain which has some active ingredient in it (diclofenac) is probably more effective than Deep Heat but because it doesn't smell at all doesn't seem to me to hit the pain as much.

T.Loopy
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

Gravity

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2012 07:05PM »
Before discovering Biofreeze I used Deep Freeze mostly, and I recall being in lessons with people nudging one another and saying "do you smell that? sort of... methol-y?"

Embarrassing...

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2012 07:19PM »
Yep, me too, i am always rubbing my neck and shoulders with deep heat.  I will try the Biofreeze, can that be purchased over the counter??

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2012 07:59PM »
That reminds me, I need to go and buy some Deep Heat or other similar product. >erm<

My leg muscles still haven't relaxed.... :-(
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sofie

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012 08:00PM »
Freeze gel smells awful. I have ibuprofen gel, which doesn't smell anywhere near as bad.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2012 02:09AM »
You've just reminded me that I must get my monthly prescriptions before I run out, and that includes a smell-less cool gel in a tube whose name I now cannot remember, but I will post it when I do the prescription.

Transvasin is a good heat-up gel with no smell to speak of.

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2012 12:58PM »
You've just reminded me that I must get my monthly prescriptions before I run out, and that includes a smell-less cool gel in a tube whose name I now cannot remember, but I will post it when I do the prescription.

Transvasin is a good heat-up gel with no smell to speak of.

Can you buy that or is it prescription only.
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2012 01:00PM »
This thread reminds me  of a lift my wife and I got from a Breton bar back to our mobile home. We could not work out what animal usually used the back seat.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2012 01:09PM »
Ah! Smells of my childhood.

My father suffered from lumbago and various leg cramps and was an avid user of Deep Heat once it became readily available.

Before that I remember him using witch hazel for lesser pains and Sloan's Liniment when the pain became worse. The house was pervaded by the aroma particularly when he had a bad spell as he used to soak a cloth in the liniment to wear round his waist.

Fortunately, apart the occasional foot problem, I don't need to use such product. I have tried Ibuprofen gel but didn't find it very effective. I don't use it now as it is contraindicated with kidney disease.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2012 05:56PM »
Transvasin - Boots sell this.  Last time I looked it was just over 2 for a small tube.

The cooling gel is called piroxicam.  I'm not sure if you can buy this one as I have only just started using it as the previous one I used that was good is no longer made.  I do not know how effective the piroxicam is though.  Maybe my painful places have become more painful recently.

Sofie

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2012 07:32PM »
The cooling gel is called piroxicam.  I'm not sure if you can buy this one as I have only just started using it as the previous one I used that was good is no longer made.

Have Googled this and can only find information - nothing about buying it.

Yvette

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2012 09:36PM »
Thanks for the info about the Transvasin cream Auntie.

I shall try that when my two new tubes of Deep Heat run out - I've only just bought two new tubes! 

I keep one upstairs by the bed and the other downstairs so I don't have to go looking for them.