Author Topic: Raspberry Pi - 22 credit card size computer!  (Read 2230 times)

aidistrust

Raspberry Pi - 22 credit card size computer!
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
Aidis previously reported the development of a credit card sized computer, aimed at making an 'affordable to all' solution. Although the Raspberry Pi will not send a man to Mars (in fact it may struggle to send someone round the corner), the price tag of just over 21 will not break the bank.
Some of the headline features of the Raspberry Pi are:
256MB Ram
HDMI socket - to connect to a monitor or TV
USB socket - to connect a keyboard
Ethernet socket - to connect to the Internet
SD card slot - to act as the hard drive
3.5mm audio socket - for sound
The operating system is to be Linux based to help keep down the cost as well as not being as greedy on the Pi's specifications.
Currently there are 2 resellers of the Raspberry Pi, with stocks being imported from China where they are being made, but as of yet they have not reached our shores.
This pocket-sized computer will never run the latest video games to anywhere near their fullest, though could open up an affordable solution for those wishing to use less demanding tasks such as word processing.
As far as assistive technology is concerned, it's down to what assistive software and device drivers are available on Linux. This tends to be few and far between. Will this change in the future? Well I'm sure it'll be a case of supply and demand. If the demand is their then the supply will most likely follow and only time will tell.
The introduction of the Raspberry Pi has sparked a great deal of interest and initial reported sales are high. The Raspberry Pi may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it may also effect the overall pricing structure of computers in the future.

Check out our website to see the video - http://www.aidis.org/news-centre/raspberry-pi-released-onto-the-market.html

Follow us on Twitter @aidistrust , add us on Facebook - for all the latest news about technology.
Go to our Pinterest billboard - http://pinterest.com/aidistrust/  -

Iqrah
Aidis Trust

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Raspberry Pi - 22 credit card size computer!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
I heard someone talking about this on the radio. 
They were saying this will enable people to design their own apps, so that it will be useful for schoolchildren learning how to make new programs rather than just learning to use programs already decided by other people.
Have to wait & see if that's what actually happens or not...

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
I suspect at least some of them will go the way of the Arduino and get used by adults and children who were already into programming*. That said, I do think that if I'd had the chance to play with that sort of stuff as a kid, I'd probably be a better programmer now. Unfortunately, we had one computer that no one was allowed to break to try to figure out how it worked ;) . So hopefully this will get the kids like I was going.

*I'm involved in open source software and I know at least one of my friends snagged one. He may have gotten it for his kids, but I kinda doubt it.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »
It is somewhat larger than credit card sized:-

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
I cant get past the fact that the Raspberry Pi needs plugging into a monitor, has no hard drive (uses a SD slot) and does not have a wireless card, so to use it to get only I would have a mess of cables plugged into what looks like a a smaller mother board.

Sorry just not for me but I do admire the fact it gets children and adults interested in things like coding.

stalwart

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
This has been designed as an aid to get children interested in programming, a school in Cambridge is currently using them to let the kids programme a basic game.   There is no programming in the current schooling.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17192823

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
I started my affair with computers with the ZX81. Although not the first computer available to the public it did have the merit of cheapness, about the cost of a high end calculator.  >love<

There was so little software for it initially you virtually had to program it. I spent hours entering listings from mags  >steam< and learnt the basics (no pun intended) by modifying them to suit my purposes.

You could by a thermal printer for it and that got me writing working programs and started my career with computers. My first design program was written for the ZX and I spend the last 20 odd years of my working life designing engineering programs.  >yikes<

All that from a 50 machine.

Kids I know don't really earn computing today they learn office procedures, and whilst most will probably only use computers via their applications many are being denied the chance to actually program. They find IT boring and not surprising if all they get is the various flavours of Office.

I judge there will be a resurgence in small programs like the those for the ZX because of the need for Apps on smart phones and tablets which are undoubtedly the future.

I might be tempted my self so I can enjoy my second childhood.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
This would appeal to my son who wants to be a programmer when he grows up! He has asd and dyspraxia. It would feed his need to use his brain but it probably would not stand up so well to the clumsiness of dyspraxia, mind you at that price its not to pricey to replace!
I remember in school doing if then else type programing, we used bbc model b and a floppy disc the size of a dinner plate!!
I had the spectrum 48k at home that also took days of typing programs from the magazine only to crash when you got to the last few lines!!! Or spending ages waiting for the cassette to load and then die on first attempt to play frogger.. >doh<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
The ZX81 was very touchy about tape players and the exact setting. I remember the black and white pattern on the TV screen to tell all was downloading ok.

It also had the notorious wobble RAM pack. If you just breathed out a bit heavily you lost all your work.

The BBC was much better with a decent version of BASIC you actually do decent things with. also allowed good access to low level function without the need for machine code. That really was coding for the geeks.

Not sure what programming language is used with the Raspberry Pie. On the radio interview I heard they seemed to imply there was, or would be, two versions. One bigger than the other. Not quite clear what other differences there were if any.

I came i saw i fell over

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
There are the model A and the model B the specs of the A have just been changed so they both now have 256MB of RAM. The Model A has no ethernet port and if I recall that is the main difference now.

hossylass

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:02:02 AM »
"The ZX81 was very touchy about tape players and the exact setting... It also had the notorious wobble RAM pack. "

Yep, that was it exactly !
And the first keyboard left a lot to be desired...

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
Gosh now I feel old and a little out of touch. I remember the ZX 81 and Spectrum, but never had one of my own, kind of an if only thing/
I did not realise that ITC in schools did not include some programming so the BBC link meant I now have a better idea of why the Raspberry was built.
:-)