Author Topic: UltraCane - Puts blind and partially sighted users streets ahead  (Read 2873 times)

aidistrust

New hi- tech UltraCane puts blind and partially sighted users streets ahead
The new UltraCane, a sophisticated, electronic mobility aid, is giving more blind and visually impaired people in the UK and around the world the protection and safety they need to walk around with confidence.
The invention incorporates sensitive obstacle detection sensors and was recently featured and demonstrated on a BBC Breakfast television report.
The UltraCane works by giving users ample warning of obstacles ahead of them, both in their path and at head height, thus allowing the user to safely avoid the obstruction, rather than walking into it.

For more information go check out the official website here - http://www.ultracane.com/
To watch a video - demonstrated on the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15363976

Follow us on Twitter @distrust , add us on Facebook - for all the latest news about technology.
Go to our Pinterest billboard - http://pintere st.com/distrust/  -

Ikky
Aidis Trust

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Re: UltraCane - Puts blind and partially sighted users streets ahead
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
And sit back and watch the funding be denied... </cynicism>

Otter

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
I am sorry my screen read your title and I thought it was a joke thread

I prefer a white stick when I have to use one - usually in crowds like the parting of the red sea. My concern any nifty piece of kit is likely to be nicked

then there are many of us you do not use a cane at all, it is safer if we do not advertise that we are a sitting duck

so a piece of kit that admits a pulse - echo location like a bat but sits in the palm your hand would be great

sorry not meaning to be unhelpful

aidistrust

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Hi Otter, it's a cause for conversation and I think the point you make is a very valid one indeed.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:03 PM »
I was interested but couldn't read about it because the site didn't work properly with my NoSquint and lots disappeared off the right hand side of the page with no lower scroll-bar to enable me to get it back.  I suppose if you have a tool for someone who can see next to nothing, it doesn't matter if others can't read your website.  >whistle<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

helenpage

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:14:49 AM »
the issue as ever is money and that will become worse because don't forget, blind people don't have mobility problems (hubby's bruises must be imaginary). Like you say, funding denied :(

aidistrust

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
Hi Sunny Clouds, I'm really sorry to hear about you not being able to read the article, using NoSquint. I have looked at the article using NoSquint and I get the horizontal scroll bar coming up. Would you mind telling me the settings you have so I can try and address this problem.
Do you have the latest versions of Firefox and NoSquint? I've been using Firefox 3.6.27 and NoSquint 2.1.5 If you can tell me also the zoom level on full zoom and text zoom as well, I will look into it for you.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:07 AM »
I'm using Firefox 10.0.2 and NoSquint 2.1.5 at 140, 140.  I've tried smaller but I really need at least 130, 130 and I'm not getting a horizontal scroll bar.

It must be something to do with the difference between my Firefox and yours.  Maybe I need to reinstall NoSquint or something.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my moan detracted from your thread.  I think it's great to have new technology.  When I walk down the road each day to my father's house and back, I often have to walk in the road to get past obstacles.  I've seen a local man with a guide dog cross the road because of all the vehicles parked on the pavement.  If I had to rely on a white cane, I'd definitely want the latest technology to help me move around.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »
Its a wonderful idea and im sure itll be of great use to those who can afford one.. sadly i doubt they will be provided via NHS or blind cemtres because of the costs. I could do with some good voice activated technology to save me struggling  to type but the ones reccomended arent provided free and I cant afford to buy them

Its a great shame that somuch good usefultechnology isnt made available to make disabled peoples lives better .. and yes, i know, this doesnt just apply to people with vision problems
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

Sofie

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »

Its a great shame that somuch good usefultechnology isnt made available to make disabled peoples lives better .. and yes, i know, this doesnt just apply to people with vision problems

Agreed. I've been told time and time again that I can't get equipment on the NHS because they're a "luxury". Yeah right. Wanting to read without help isn't a luxury.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:12 AM »
Myrtlemaid - how much does that sort of thing cost?  The voice activated stuff you want, I mean?

myrtlemaid

• Still fighting...well sometimes !
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:09:11 AM »
Welll it varies alot..The one reccomended by the resource centre i used to go to was hundreds of pounds.. however after reading your post I did a trawl of thenet and foun d a good few under 100 .. thatd still be a stretch for me to save up for but it does put it within the realms of possibility.

Im not sure what the difference is but will have a closer look later if i manage to get some sleep
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches