Author Topic: not going to renew motability contract  (Read 2945 times)

hemiman

• Silver Member
not going to renew motability contract
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
Hi All

does anyone know about if you stop using motability how long it takes for DLA to go into your bank instead? My current lease is up in June and i'm thinking of purchasing my own car, as i don't think i'll get pip and i could be in middle of a 3 year lease agreement and probably will have car taken away immediately. I need my car to get to work so i'm going to buy one and cover insurance etc myself. using my DLA to cover costs etc.

many thanks

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: not going to renew motability contract
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »
If you contact customer services at Motability, they will probably be able to tell you what you need to do.  I've always found them quite helpful, and they should be able to tell you how long the transfer takes.  The sooner you let them know that you will not be renewing your lease, the quicker they should be able to sort the necessary paperwork out.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »
"My current lease is up in June and i'm thinking of purchasing my own car, as i don't think i'll get pip and i could be in middle of a 3 year lease agreement and probably will have car taken away immediately."

I think there may be legal repercussions if the government started trying to take cars away part of the way through Motability leases. I wouldn't put it past them to try it but they certainly wouldn't get mine without a bit of a struggle.

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
Mine is up in August, but thinking of extending for another year, hopefully by then i will know if i get the higher rate pip ( very doubtful) and if not, well no car for me   :-(

hemiman

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »
Hi All

spoke to motability yesterday and as usual they were very nice, i also phoned RSA the insurance company, who said looking back over my time i've a no claims history, but with motability you don't qualify for a no claims bonus, they are going to send me a letter outlining this so i can get various insurance quotes.

So in theory balls in my court, so have to give it more thinking time.

thanks for your advice

helenpage

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
I just lost my car and am having a nightmare with insurance now because I still haven't received the claims history letter from RSA. Make sure when you get quotes you ring them and speak to a manager because a lot of them have no idea if a clear claims history is good enough. Swift cover were great and gave me 3 years no claims but i'm now worried sick because I still haven't had the letter from RSA to prove it!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:45:27 PM »
Helen,

It is a bank holiday weekend which makes the post slow. Do Swift cover need the letter as proof or are they happy to insure you now and wait for the letter?

helenpage

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
I've been waiting for the letter for 3 weeks and no sign of it. Swift cover give you 28 days so we're running out of time :(

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
>hugs<
3 weeks is a long time it it sounds like you will have to ring them to find out what is happening. It might be worth asking them to send you the letter in the email. I am sorry it is not going smoothly.

helenpage

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »
i've rung back today and they're going to post it out urgently, they don't have the facility to email apparently!