Author Topic: Cook book reserch  (Read 5401 times)

hossylass

Re: Cook book reserch
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
Oh gods yes.

Half a mug is a good measure, not x number of grammes... accurate measuring is not my strong point.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
First off, Thankyou guys  >hugs< I'm so happy that people are wanting to get on-board and help with this :) I'm really touched :')

Sunshine & Myrtle & ditchdwellers - Brilliant ideas, A gadgets section, and slow cooker section are must haves. Cooking for 2, why not, do i assume that helpers dont have the same limitations as the person they are helping though? One pan and no oven ideas will also be included. Although, may just be included within other sections, as they are versatile and can fall into many categories.

ditchdwellers - Thats a good thought about washing up, and something i'd overlooked completely. I'm really glad i asked now, because that will make a real difference. I will list all washing up created, and how long it takes me to wash up.

stalwart & hossylass - I will be including calories, fat-protein-carbohydrate amounts, and if i ever suss out how its calculated GI
I'll also be using a system like (VV) = vegan (v) = vegetation (g) = gluten free and so on

oldtone27 - you are right. I'll include that along side weights and measures for all recipes

Thankyou soooooo much everyone :) With all this help, Its sure to be a success :D

hossylass

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
Oddly we are pretty enthusiatic about stuff we have a gut feeling will work.

We have, in the past, had students run ideas past us, and I think had good feedback - one idea was so good I told the poster to not say any more and get it patented quick!

Its often a case of "Would I buy this?" and you seem to have found a product that would be popular with a wide audience, not just sick and disabled people.
I suspect that you could wangle some money out of a major charity if necessary, as long as they could put their name somewhere on the cover or some such.

And then you could do your PhD on some related aspect of this whole thing >biggrin<
I am pretty sure your tutors will be impressed.

Sofie

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
Meals for one person would be a good idea, please.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
Meals for one person would be a good idea, please.
Yup, I was planning on doing this for most recipes, 2 ingredients lists, one for a meal for one, and one for a meal for 4 (i think) - but the method is the same

And then you could do your PhD on some related aspect of this whole thing >biggrin<
I am pretty sure your tutors will be impressed.
I'm not too sure about a PHD, but I am seriously considering this for my dissertation topic next year, could be quite an interesting topic.

dustyflower

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
a key would be good. so like a list of reciepeis and then a key next to them of what catergories they fall into.

ways to adapt reciepies would also work..

so like.. if you are suggesting cooking something a certain way, like, saying, you can also do this in the microwave would be good. im forever thinking in this way anyway so would be good to have it there...

language is also important. if your going to have a knifeless section neutral language would be needed...

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
Get a two tubes, one of tomato puree and the other garlic puree.

Find a container to use.

Squeeze a nice size dollop of tomato into the container, add a little bit of garlic.

Find some mixed dried herbs, salt and pepper and some of that spicy chicken  seasoning powder.

It's up to you how much of what you mix together.

Let the finished concoction in a warm room so that the herbs re-hydrate and the flavour grows and expands.

Taste it, nod to yourself at how great you are.

You can have it on crumpets or toast if you want with some nice gooey cheese.

How's that...turned all you foodies on yet..
 >magicfairy<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
I have to be honest Dark. That had my mouth watering. Shouldent have looked back at this thread till after i'd eaten lol

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »
I'd like some 'store cupboard basics' recipes that use ingredients I might realistically have in the cupboard or can buy at the corner shop across the road, rather than the optimistic list of ingredients that some books think I might have in the cupboard or lingering at the back of the fridge.

Am_I_Me?

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:39 PM »
And so it shall be.

Wow, This is going to be amazing once its done if I managed to include all of these

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
when im tired and cant concentrate well i have to cook something that takes little time and no complications, i usually do shop bought 'fresh pasta' and a pot of sauce that gets microwved in mins . I add sauce to pasta and eat.
If ia am a little better then i cook chiken, use same pasta and do a pasata with basil and garlic. I have also sliced and cooked some sausague and used that, not posh ones or anything, tho sometimes i use pork and italian herb sausage.
I make up pots of stew nad i get chopped veg ready for the pot along with the cubed beef to cut down on preparation.
If things take too much energy to chop and prepare then i cant actually cook it.
I like using cous cous as i can shove it in a bowl and add water from the kettle with a spoon of oil and some herbs.
My pans are all le cruset because i walk away and forget the cooker is on and everything gets burned, so i need hard wearing pans.
stuff in the oven is easier to forget because i cant see it. Ifoget about oven gloves and i got so many scars from burning myself. so a reminder about that would be useful!!
I really do need to be reminded about things others dont even think of because its obvious to them, so please do not be vague or assume things are obvious!

dustyflower

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
know and be clear on the limitations of what the cook book is.

be clear on safety coming first...

perhaps have a section on the better sorts of ready meals?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 02:43:42 PM »
I'm with Defying Gravity on basing recipes of stuff most people have to hand. Too many recipes require a long list of ingredients most of which can only be purchased in quantities much in excess of what is needed and unlikely to be used frequently. This makes a meal too expensive to contemplate. I don't want to buy a whole lettuce just as a bit of garnish.

Avoid too many fresh ingredients. Beneficial as these may be many of your readership won't be able to shop frequently so rely on stuff that stores well, be it frozen, canned or dried. By all means suggest fresh alternatives but major on the store cupboard.

Above all KISS. (Keep it simple stupid)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
Don't try to be all things to all people otherwise you will end up with something the size of Encyclopaedia Brittanica!

hossylass

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
Yeah whilst it is reasonable to accept that people might have chilli powder, they probably wont have fresh chillis. And they may have mixed herbs, but not basil and thyme etc

I hate it when it says "take the berries of a virgin unpollenated lesser prospect ugly bush and roll them between your thighs before passing them briefly in a figure of 8 over the sauce, then discard".