Author Topic: Rocking in a wheelchair.  (Read 920 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
Rocking in a wheelchair.
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/apr/05/andrew-wk-interview

An interview with American musician Andrew WK, in which he describes coming up against disablism from TV producers when temporarily using a wheelchair on stage. I saw him live once (wheelchairless). He was great.

"Do you feel a sense of duty to your fans? You once continued a tour in a wheelchair after breaking your foot

That was sort of a similar thing I guess those moments when what you're meant to do is obvious and it would be harder to not do it.

Was it hard to play in a wheelchair?

It was actually easy to play. I was on crutches during the day but I couldn't stand with the mic, play keyboard and do my headbanging on the crutches. So the wheelchair became this amazing tool that let me spin, roll around and completely isolate my leg so I could keep all the energy into my playing and singing. I had so much fun at those shows because it was a different way to use my body. It was interesting to experience how it felt to be in a wheelchair. Some people were freaked out by it and didn't want me to play. We did a TV show performance and when they saw I was in a wheelchair they just wanted me to cancel. I said: "We've been playing this way, if anything I can play better. And I think people will find it interesting and exciting." They said: "No it doesn't look good, there's a reason why you don't see people in wheelchairs performing on telly!" I was just baffled by that and then I realised, holy smoke, you really don't see people in wheelchairs on television! Why the f*ck is that? Afterwards the guy apologised, he said he was wrong, the show was amazing and thanks for doing it. I realised if you're injured it's not just getting around that changes, it's the whole way you're treated."

Prabhakari

Re: Rocking in a wheelchair.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
People can have such stupid ideas about mobility aids.

They mean FREEDOM.     >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Gravity

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »
Brilliant quote, immediately facebooked!

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »
They said: "No it doesn't look good, there's a reason why you don't see people in wheelchairs performing on telly!"

I suppose they had never heard of Michael Flanders
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
Not sure I have either. Flanders and Swann?

A long time before Pulp became famous, Jarvis Cocker played a series of dates in a wheelchair after falling out of a window at a party while trying to do a Spiderman impression to impress a girl. A window that incidentally I parked directly underneath earlier today. I wasn't at the party though, although I have been to his parties, he said namedroppingly. At the end of each show he'd get out of the chair and walk across the stage. Everyone thought it was some sort of stunt but he could only actually manage a few steps.

But as for full-time wheelies, what about this chap? He also fell out of a window at a party but in this case the damage was permanent. Apparently the Top Of The Pops producers begged him to sit in a 'normal' chair for this performance but he refused. Good for him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-FmG4JTIfk

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
Flanders contracted poliomyelitis while serving in the Royal Navy in world war two and was a wheelchair user from then on. He performed with Donald Swann on stage and on TV in this country and all over the world, in a wheelchair up until the mid 70's 

So people performing on stage in wheelchairs is not by any means unheard of.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour