Author Topic: Old broken bones and painkillers for other things  (Read 13097 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Old broken bones and painkillers for other things
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
I broke both bones in my lower leg back in 1995 and had to have it pinned and internal fixed. The metal work was taken out over a decade ago. I have always had the aches when it is cold and odd twinges of pain from the healed break but for almost a week now it has been hurting more, so much so I sometimes can't stand on it. It does not help that cerebral palsy spasm roll in against the pain making it worse, like a really bad cramp.

I wondered if anyone else here has an 'old broken bone' that hurts.

Also does anyone here find that taking pain killers for another condition eg in my case Trigeminal neuralgia, masks pain elsewhere. The neuralgia pain  has been less so I reduced painkillers and I don't really want to go back to taking Tramadol for my leg unless I have neuralgia too, because Tramadol makes me more dizzy and disorientated - more likely to fall over and hurt my leg knees hands head.

I did wonder if the pain in my leg is worse because I have Fibromyalgia.
The pain is less in the morning but gets worse during the day.

I feel like I am fussing and being over complicated it makes me sad because I don't expect not to be in pain so much as want to know what this new leg pain is.

I expect it will sort itself out.

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Old broken bones and painkillers for other things
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
I wondered if anyone else here has an 'old broken bone' that hurts.

Yes, left leg had 7 fractures and a dislocated knee cap during a rugby match when I was 12. My left foot had a broken bone due I suspect from osteo porosis about 15 years ago. A broken rib from a car accident 46 years ago. Not breaks by two fingers damaged by industrial accidents. Every so often an invisible dwarf stabs me with a hat pin in all of those locations varying from one of them to all of them at the same time.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
" left leg had 7 fractures and a dislocated knee cap during a rugby match " Ouch!! >need a stretcher<

gammagirl

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:42 PM »
Yep and acts like a nice barometer.

When you break bones or dislocate joints, it's never a straightforward healing process. All sorts of things get damaged as well as the break and it also opens up your body to the elements. It's to do with pressure in the joints - it's all completely isolated so you'll never notice it unless you damage a part of your body, destroying that equilibrium and then when the weather changes, you feel the throbbing in the joint or bone. Joy. Exactly how a barometer works except my knee (and various other places) can only recognise change and doesn't have "fair" and "rain" written neatly on it. You can also get continuous pain from the damage if there is neuropathic damage - I'm talking about well-healed old breaks here that are not what are causing you the main issues or disability, as obviously things which don't heal properly or cause CRPS are a nightmare as an understatement.

Painkillers work globally, mainly on the brain chemistry rather than at the actually root cause, so they will mask all sorts of things.

SunshineMeadows - what are you taking for the trigeminal neuralgia? I suggest phoning your GP and seeing if raising the dose of whatever it is you're taking might help the leg pain. there are lots of ways of avoiding Tramadol if that doesn't suit you very well.

Having Fibromyalgia will make the leg pain worse for you - you're not fussing, it's something real that is bothering you.

Personally, I hate it when any new pain crops up, especially if it doesn't go away. I've got enough to deal with without extras and so do you.

It's probably just the fact that the weather is awful this week - I'm really hurting, as are many I know. I was at the doctor's yesterday and she said that lots of people are complaining of increased pain. However, I'd still get it checked out if I were you as sometimes you can get complications after having that sort of surgery years later, but it's unusual, so try not to worry about it and go see your GP.

It's use that's triggering the pain so see if it's getting puffy or warm as it may be you're getting some inflammation there? My leg pain is normally like that - easier in the mornings and worse as the day goes on. Sitting with the offending leg elevated will help a little too.

Hope it eases soon for you

gg

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »
Thank you for the replies sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner.

My leg is no better and in fact a bit worse so now I know  the pain not going away anytime soon I switched back to taking Tramadol.

Painkillers work globally, mainly on the brain chemistry rather than at the actually root cause, so they will mask all sorts of things.

SunshineMeadows - what are you taking for the trigeminal neuralgia? I suggest phoning your GP and seeing if raising the dose of whatever it is you're taking might help the leg pain. there are lots of ways of avoiding Tramadol if that doesn't suit you very well.

Having Fibromyalgia will make the leg pain worse for you - you're not fussing, it's something real that is bothering you.

Personally, I hate it when any new pain crops up, especially if it doesn't go away. I've got enough to deal with without extras and so do you.

Gammagirl  >thumbsup<

I take Tramadol for the TN after coming of Coproxamol about six months ago, both drugs only work so far and the trick is to catch the pain before it reaches a ten. Over the years I have spent a lot of time trying to ignore symptoms and do what I can when I can eg being online can make TN worse but I want to have some life around other people. I think Fibromyalgia symptoms are cathcing up with me and I need to find away to live again if that makes sense. My leg is not particularly puffy or warm and I kind of wish it was because then I would be able to see as well as feel the pain. I was thinking of going to casualty but they wont understand my CP symptoms eg spastic legs and jumping muscles so I will try to get a appointment with my GP asap.

You are right new pain is  >thumbsdown<

Group hugs for anyone on pain (physical or mental) today >bighugs< and a  >raspberry< to any right wingers who might happen by this thread and think being sick is easy

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:18:19 PM »
How many people on here suffer from hardcore grinding?  >lol<

vertebrae on vertebrae noise and grinding and joint problems?
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
When I push my palms together in the morning I get a kinda snap crackle pop noise and feeling but usually in a good way if that makes sense.

No grinding though ...

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 05:55:33 PM »
Me DD  Esp in my spine . Pop, Bang , Scrunch. Its always makes me jump.
You need to give love to receive it.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Yes, last week I noticed pain in my thumb that was broken and I wondered what was going on.  So you think it is now my weather vein - pain in thumb equals rain?

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:52 PM »
Back, knees and ankles all make popping, scrunching noises throughout the day   >yikes<

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
Me too DD, bone on bone and you can feel it shifting one way or another, followed by screaming nerve pain till it decides to move back!

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
Some of my joints are quite noisy; some days more than others.  One of my knees swells up from time to time to remind me I've been doing too much walking. 
I am lucky enough to have no problems with vertebrae though (not yet anyway - I suppose there's time...).

deebeeb

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
same here - both thumbs, foot(especially this one), collar bone and wrist all hurt at times.  Even more so when rain is due/or raining.  The only old break that doesn't hurt is my nose! >biggrin<

gammagirl

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Yes, last week I noticed pain in my thumb that was broken and I wondered what was going on.  So you think it is now my weather vein - pain in thumb equals rain?

Unfortunately it more signals change rather than what the change is, so it's not even particularly useful. Damp conditions make it worse as well though so when there is very changeable weather with lots of rain and hail etc, my joints are really bad. It's like having a broken barometer as well as sore joints!

However, when the weather is fine and you get the same pain, it's normally a storm brewing. I was working in Geneva for a couple of weeks last summer and there it is quite warm, even hot during the summer with regular thunder storms as you're right up in the mountains and I could tell when the storm was coming before the clouds gathered, which was sort of useful for predicting the associated power surges, but I was in a huge amount of pain whenever it stormed.

And DD, my joints are noisy. My knee grinds a lot and lots of other things pop and click....

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
Me DD  Esp in my spine . Pop, Bang , Scrunch. Its always makes me jump.

Any pain when turning in bed or when in a particular position in bed?

You can refuse to answer the question if you want, if you think it's too rude or intrustive...
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.