Author Topic: Jewellery box  (Read 2935 times)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Jewellery box
« on: 06 May 2012 09:44PM »
Yes this is a disability themed question, stay with me!
Does anyone have a jewellery box? I am worried that they are designed with "The types of people who own a lot of jewellery" in mind, i.e. kinda posh and delicate folks who handle things in a certain crooked pinkie finger way. Being of the ham-fisted, drop things on the floor, batter stuff and accidentally push things off the dressing table in the night persuasion, maybe I'm not right for a jewellery box, they don't appear very sturdy to me, and I've seen them made of glass too!  >yikes<

I'm looking primarily at the sort which have a couple of drawers to them and a lift-out travel box. I want to keep hearing aids in them, of course, not jewellery, that would be too easy. The plan is to keep the hearing aids in the travel box then put my bits and bobs (cleaning supplies, wax guards, spare earmoulds, extra tubing, "sport" clips, and processor covers into the other drawers without too much of an impact on my bedside table footprint - as many of you know, when you spend a lot of time in bed you need everything you own on the square foot next to your bed, space is at a premium.

Any experiences to add?

devine63

Re: Jewellery box
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2012 10:19PM »
I have a small "travel" jewellry box which is covered in something like leather and seems quite robust - far as I recall I got it form ARgos
regards, Deb

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2012 12:09AM »
I use a small tool-box for my jewellery.  They are robust, some have moveable divisions, and more importantly they have a handle so it is easy to pick up.  If you line the compartments with some thickish fabric your bits and pieces will be all cosy even if they are stored upside down on occasion. ;-)

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2012 12:20AM »
I have something similar to what both you and Debs are describing - it is a leather jewellery box which has a lift out tray.  This top tray then folds in half and becomes a travelling jewellery box.  Mine came from Aspinalls some years ago and is very sturdy - I have seen other, very similar looking ones in the last few years, everywhere from Argos to high street jewellers.

As to glass - hmmmm, as they say "...are you 'aving a larrrf" - thanks all the same but I've done enough slicing and dicing during seizures without adding jewellery boxes into the mix  >lol<

Hope you find what you are looking for - I do know what you mean about space around the bed being at a premium and, of course, it's also nice to keep things tidied away smartly when you are stuck in bed looking at it all for hours to a time. 

I invested in a set of four of this sort of stacking hat box to store my nebulizer stuff and the spares for it in.
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/180873228120?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

All the best.

T. Loopy
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2012 10:33AM »
Would this kind of box be any use?  They come in different sizes, with dividers for the medium/ large ones & look fairly tough (but not pretty like a jewellery box ;-)).
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b02_5litre2_5LT.php
There are trays or dividers http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/images/traydetails/hobbytray01.jpg

Craft shops sell stuff like this for people who make cards/ jewellery, etc. to keep their bits in - you might need to protect breakable items in them but tissue or loo-paper might do for that, not necessarily a box with a permanent lining (because you are right, most jewellery boxes are more decorative than protective from anything but dust, don't close very securely).

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2012 01:06PM »
I bought a faux leather-wooden magnetic clasp jewellery box from TJ Hughes a few years ago. It's quite sturdy - I know this because I've dropped it a few times  >doh<. Luckily once it was empty, once it didn't open and the 3rd time it did open and a few of my earrings spilt out. But as long as it remains closed, it's pretty tough. - Might damage the floor or a foot more than itself when it lands.

And when you open it, a tray gets pulled up, and then underneath the tray are two segmented baskety areas.

I think I paid 12 for it. A total random find on a day I wasn't even looking to buy one. My old jewellery box was a musical one from argos. That was good too, until a screw fell out.
A man got sick because of officiate.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2012 05:49PM »
I'm looking for a longest size maximum footprint of about 15cm, which makes it much harder to find boxes with subdivisions inside them, sadly. I looked at my front runner in the shops today but it's massive, much bigger than what I wanted. The search goes on.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2012 09:19PM »
Have you tried going into a shop selling embroidery and sewing stuff.  They also sell plastic boxes with divisions.

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2012 12:15AM »
Rose - I think all the jewellery boxes I have seen have been larger than 15cm.

Seegee - thanks for the links to the "reallyusefulproducts shop" which I've saved as there should be some fab things for my jewellery making (if I ever get around to it again  >erm<)
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2012 01:15PM »
How about something like this:

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/ethical-collection/home-and-garden/fair-trade-embellished-jewellery-box-hn304239

It's small enough to fit by your bedside and has a lift out tray with compartments.  I was given something similar and it has withstood quite a bit of use, including being dropped more than once!

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2012 12:08PM »
That looks cool, thanks. If they can answer my questions about it then I might get that one.