Author Topic: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)  (Read 17984 times)

DarthVector

• Charter Member
Re: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)
« Reply #45 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:13PM »
FORUM HELP

If no-one is around to help you with a query or a problem, there is a "Help" link towards the upper left of every page. That will take you to a set of help pages supplied by the people who developed the forum software.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:24PM »
Not a complaint Sunshine, most likely me using computer incorrectly but when I click on the pdf's they won't open for me using FF, Adobe is the latest version,  >blush< please help  >yikes<

- What version of Firefox are you using?

- Are you getting a dialog box asking you if you want to save the file?

- If not, what actually happens when you click on the link to the PDF?

P.S. I just found the Quote button, and it actually uses a format I can pick out (unlike Aimoo). Thank heavens for that (:
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2011 12:29PM by DarthVector »

Spindrift

« Reply #47 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:28PM »
Darth,

Thank you for explaining that it is good that people will no how to ' Mark all messages read' especially given how much has been brought over ftom old Ouch Too.

If you have the time and inclination could you start a new topic Darth's Tips and Tricks, and add some of the tips and tricks you already gave and also new ones as you think of them? ~thumbs up~

Mistynow,

Thank you for letting me know you have a problem getting the pdfs open.  >doh< I just checked and it is not working for me on Firefox either. I am going to have to work on figuring this out. It is not the best solution but when this site is viewed using Interent Explorer the pdfs work so maybe using Internet Explorer could be a stop gap until the situation is resolved. Sorry that I did not notice this myself sooner. >blush<

Spindrift

« Reply #48 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:32PM »
Mistynow,

I asked Mr Sunshine and he has a work around brb with screen shots
 >star<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:36PM »
Sunshine, I think you said that you worked in IT yourself, so I am sure you know that however carefully things are tested you can always rely on a customer/user to find that bug! >dontpanic<

Spindrift

« Reply #50 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:50PM »
Oldtone,

Yes I worked in IT support for 5 years but I have never put a website until I started www.ouchtoo.org  >biggrin<, it does not mean I cant do it but it does mean I want to get the main things done before the niggles.

Maybe I did not mention it in a thread here but when I originally let people on Aimoo Ouch know that this new message board exists we were going to have about 20 people join and throughly test everything (as far as we could). I do love that so many people ended up joining and we moved quickly, it means people saw how nice it would to be here.
:-)

Spindrift

« Reply #51 on: 14 Nov 2011 12:53PM »
Mistynow and other Firefox users please check out the screen shots in this and the next post and let me know whether they worked okay for you.

Click on the thumbnails to get a bigger view.

Spindrift

« Reply #52 on: 14 Nov 2011 01:00PM »
Darth,

If you have Firefox can you check that this fixed works and if you have another easier fix please post it.
~thank you.

Mistynow

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: 14 Nov 2011 01:12PM »
Thank you all, this is hilarious, my Firefox is the latest update as is Adobe, I run Secunia to ensure everything is correctly patched etc, now when I click on a link it is saying open with Internet Explorer as the 'default', at least that works but don't know how its happened!!!

I am not the greatest with computers  >blush< Thanks again

Spindrift

« Reply #54 on: 14 Nov 2011 01:38PM »
MistyNow,

Everyone's computer is set up slightlu differently, people use different programs in different ways eg I have never even heard of Secunia :-)

I am correct in thinking you are now able to view the pdfs and they are opening in Internet Explorer?

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #55 on: 14 Nov 2011 01:43PM »
OK, two questions for SunshineMeadows:

- What version of Firefox were you using when you made your screenshots?

- Can you try opening the Excel spreadsheet I attached to this thread and tell me what happens, please?

I use Firefox 8.0, but on Linux, so I don't see the same dialog boxes as you do. I'm investigating an alternative approach.

Mistynow

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: 14 Nov 2011 01:51PM »
MistyNow,

Everyone's computer is set up slightlu differently, people use different programs in different ways eg I have never even heard of Secunia :-)

I am correct in thinking you are now able to view the pdfs and they are opening in Internet Explorer?

Yes, I am reading the forum using FF, but somehow it defaults to IE when click on your PDF link, I can work with that no problem just curious to how its happened. >biggrin<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #57 on: 14 Nov 2011 02:37PM »
Drat - my alternative (hacking a Firefox extension) sort of worked, but it was too clunky for general use. I'd actually rather just save the PDF and open it manually in Acrobat Reader, it was that bad. Oh, well.

Incidentally, I know why the problem happens, and why it's only visible in Firefox. I'll spare you the technical explanation, but it's not something SunshineMeadows can fix in her role as the forum administrator.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2011 02:47PM by DarthVector »

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2011 03:21PM »
Very unimportant observation : if I open (both with Firefox) a page in the Aimoo forum that's got my avatar on it, and alongside it the same page in this forum, the image as shown on here has slightly more colour saturation.   :-)

Sofie

« Reply #59 on: 14 Nov 2011 03:23PM »
MistyNow,

Yes, I am reading the forum using FF, but somehow it defaults to IE when click on your PDF link, I can work with that no problem just curious to how its happened. >biggrin<

I think there's a setting (I am not sure where this would be, I'm afraid) whereby you choose to open certain files using a selected program.