Author Topic: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)  (Read 17983 times)

Spindrift

Re: Queries and complaints about the new format (retitled)
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2011 03:49PM »
Re reply 55

Darth,

Thank you for working on this issue some more.
I have both Internet Explorer and Firefox open.
I went to the xls file in the link you post and in IE it opens properly in the same way the pdfs did, but in Firefox it comes up with the same box as in the first screenshot. I then went through the method on the screenshots and got a error- see screen shot.
I am glad we have a work around for the pdfs on Firefox and equally glad you are able to tell me there is nothing more i can do because for me to keep trying and getting nowhere would have been ~boggling~

Btw I am using Firefox 8.0 with Windows Vista, I also have a laptop with Windows 7 which is charging at the moment and in a land far away called downstairs, but I will check what that does later.

Spindrift

« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2011 03:59PM »
Mistynow,

Hmm computers can seem like such secretive creatures especially when they do something good at it is like it happen automatically. if one of us figures it out we will post the solution.

Offworld,

Good to know.
~smiles~ that is probably because when I was sorting out Pink's avatar it was not looking good at the default setting so I increased the settings or it might just be that the Go Daddy server we are using is set up to show images more as they actuall are.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2011 04:29PM »
[in reply to SunshineMeadows, message #60]

Thank you for working on this issue some more.

No problem. I was afraid that trying to use the workaround for more than one file type might throw up errors, which is why I was hoping to find a more general solution. Unfortunately, I've exhausted all the options I can think of, so I've pretty much given up on it for now. If I happen to come across a solution in future, I'll let you know.

On a related note, I can now tell you that hand-editing Firefox configuration files to see what happens is not a good idea. Don't do this at home, kids, I'm a trained professional (:

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2011 05:37PM »
Darth

I can now tell you that hand-editing Firefox configuration files to see what happens is not a good idea. Don't do this at home, kids, I'm a trained professional (:

I agree all those 0101010101011010 way to scary.

(btw I know its not all noughts and ones but to me it feels like it)

~grins~

sherbs

• Charter Member
Re: Reporting problems
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2011 07:30PM »
Oldtone,

I have reviewed this thread and realise that the title needs changing, after all it is not being used to report problems so much as posting queries and complaints about the way the new site works. I dont mind people pointing out what they see as faults and asking for help in how to do something but the way this thread is going is hurting my feelings (yes I have them too) in the way even with all the benefits of the new format ' it is still not good enough :-(

Everyone,

I dont expect you all to be doing a ~happy dance~ about learning to navigate the workings of this new format and I do know a lot of you are pleased with the benefits of the move. It is just the past week has been hard work and I would appreciate a few days of positive thinking.

This thread is going to be retitled 'queries and complaints about the new format.'

Sunshine

Please dont put yourself down, you are doing a marvelous job.  You should give yourself a pat on the back for the extreme hard work you have put in over the past week or so.

Thank-you for the new site, very much appreciated, pour yourself a Vodka, Soda and Lime, with ice and a slice!!!

xxx

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov 2011 07:42PM »
sherbs,

thank you and  >bubbly< I do feel a little drunk right now. If tiredness came in a bottle mine would be 80% proof lol I cant drink because it makes me fall over and fuzzy headed so not sure % proof is the correct lingo. heck I get fuzzy headed and fall over anyway......

I better go rest before I start hugging everyone and singing  >lol<
night night
 >zzz<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2011 07:53PM »

Oh Sunshine you are so funny, that post make me laugh, tee hee

Take care and nighty night x

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2011 08:39PM »
Yes, that comment made me  >biggrin< too.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2011 10:40AM »
Sunshine, I missed your reply #42 otherwise I would have responded sooner.

I hope you did not think that my starting this thread was in anyway critical of your great efforts to get this board running. That was certainly not my intention and I apologise for any misunderstanding.

I gave it that title as it was short and to the point. I appreciate that anything to do with computer programming and operation is fraught with unexpected traps which emerge in use. My intention was to provide one location for people to post their difficulties/queries so that they were easier to find and not scattered throughout other posts.

Again most of my queries have been nitpicks so I can see they might have been irritating whilst you were trying to achieve the 'bigger picture' my only defence being that it is usually easier to fix these things at the start than later on.

Anyway my apologies again and you really have done a great job along with Kizzy and Hossy in getting this board up and running. >hugs< >thumbsup< >rose< >bubbly<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #69 on: 15 Nov 2011 11:25AM »
Sherbs and Hurtyback,

:-)  as I was nodding off to sleep I realised I was 'trunk'. I doubt the word will catch on but it made me chuckle.

oldtone,

Apology accepted. I knew it was not something you did on purpose  >hugs<

I am taking it easy for a few days and then will be looking more at off bits and pieces. :-)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #70 on: 15 Nov 2011 10:21PM »
Just above the reply box there is an 'm' that keeps going round and round.  I am finding the continuous movement very annoying.  Is there a way of switching it off please.

(and then there is the welcome sign that will be the next thing to irritate me!!)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #71 on: 15 Nov 2011 11:14PM »
Auntie,

I moved the welcome sign to the [ more ] section, but I can't do anything about the M right now, if I do discover a way of removing it because we dont need a rolling text tool.

Did you notice the Quick Reply option at the bottom of each thread? Click the + and youuu can reply without having to look at the editor toobar.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #72 on: 16 Nov 2011 02:01AM »
Oh yes, now I have found the quick repy button.  thanks.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #73 on: 16 Nov 2011 02:04AM »
I do not wish to be annoying to you sunshine, but is it possible to remove the motto about 7 and 8 from the line where you go to navigate to another bit of the site.  I have to read everything, I cannot help it, and I am reading over and over again the bit about 7 and 8.  (It was a good motto when I only had to read it once in a while.)  On the old site it just said ouch - talk, or whatever when you wanted to click.

All these extraenous items make me switch away from the site and go to somewhere less 'busy'.  thank you so much.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #74 on: 16 Nov 2011 09:47AM »
  Do you mean this line of text that appears at the top and bottom of the thread listings?

... fall down 7 times get up 8 »Ouch Too - a place for and about disabled people. »Talk

It is there as part of the name of the forum and is a clickable link that takes the reader to a listing that will include 'read only' boards.

I looked at Ouch Too on Aimoo and there was allsorts of extraneous stuff on there too eg search tags, and profile information. I dont want to offend you but I would appreciate it if you give the new format a few weeks to see if you can get used to it. I certainly don't want you to leave, but nor do I want to make a structural change - which may or may not be possible.