Author Topic: Aaaargh, knicker crisis!  (Read 6394 times)

ally

• Diamond member
Re: Aaaargh, knicker crisis!
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2012 06:15PM »
A warning if you are going abroad on holiday you may have to spend all your time washing your undies!  I went on a cruise last year, and, when we got our suitcases back discovered the locks had been forced, and, all the underwear was missing!!   Nothing, else, just the underwear which had been packed in seperate compartments  My Husband and I were left with only what we were wearing.  As we were at sea, there was nothing we could do.  The expensive shops on the ship sold everything but underwear.  We had to wash what we had on, and, dry them off with a hair dryer.  We also spent our time when embarking franctically trying to find shops that sold underwear.  As I am in a wheelchair it was a complete nightmare.    I would advise to pack some spare pants etc in a seperate bag just in case it happens to you. :-)

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2012 07:26PM »
I bought a 5 pack of M+S knickers last week - and am distinctly unimpressed! I wish I had known that the sizes come up big. My Sloggies are quite snug and stretchy - the same size of M+S are very baggy. I also had to have a pack of mixed colours although I really wanted some 'nude' ones.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2012 09:58PM »
I can wear any old 'Bridget Jones'-type undercrackers if I want, only the cat's gonna see them  >lol<

Ally, what a horrible thing to have happened on your holiday  >angry<  Some sad little perv, obviously.  Where I used to live, there was a known knicker-thief on the prowl, so to this day I'm in the habit of drying my smalls indoors...

Good luck with your search, Rose  >fingerscrossed<

gammagirl

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2012 03:06AM »
I feel really really fat now as I had to buy a bigger size than normal in M&S.
I didn't buy the multipacks though, I got the ones on 3 for 10 because I find them comfier.
Oh well, Diet when I get back I suppose

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2012 09:54AM »
This thread has encouraged me to clear out my underwear drawer of all the slightly dubious, baggy, ill fitting undies that I seem to have accumulated.  As my weight has gradually increased over the last few years, I thought it best to chuck out all the size 10 things, and be a little more realistic  >blush< 
I have to agree with the comments about M&S knickers though.  And they used to withstand a lot more washing than they do now.  I'm sure I have to replace them more frequently than I used to as the stitching seems to come undone much easier.  Surely it's not all down to the size of my posterior  >whistle<

Pentesalie

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2012 03:57PM »
Also, 'George' at ASDA or Primark are places to search too. They also do cheaper bras than M&S if you're on a budget

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2012 08:13PM »
I feel really really fat now as I had to buy a bigger size than normal in M&S.
I didn't buy the multipacks though, I got the ones on 3 for 10 because I find them comfier.
Oh well, Diet when I get back I suppose

GG

I shouldn't worry about the sizes in M&S, as i am sure they are sizing them up smaller for some items, and bigger for other items if you know what i mean.  I am usually a 10 in knickers, but had to go down to an 8 for my no VPL ones, and then just wanted some plain white cotton big old bloomers for lounging around the house and had to get them in a 12.

So as you can see, the sizes do differ for different styles etc.

wheelycross51

• Charter Member
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2012 10:33PM »
Hi all,
A good place to try for comfy undies is JD Williams catalogue (and the others that spring from it) - it is from size 12 to size 32 clothes and the pants are the same - all sizes and all colours - the best thing I find is that they are sent to your house and you can try one pair on(with the comfort strip on) in the comfort of your own home and then send them back if they don't fit. Love it.
Been with them for ages and tbh the packs are worth the money cos you can find the ones you like and stick to them.
Good luck RR.
Wheely

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2012 10:36PM »
I swear by Primark's Sloggi -type seam-free full briefs. The sizing is so generous, they come in black, white or fleshtone and refuse to wear out. I've bought them for a friend too (three pairs for a fiver) and she loves them. They wash like dishrags, dry quickly but also survive the tumble dryer even though it's not recommended.
Primark quality has shot up in recent years - don't buy the very cheap items, but do go for the ones that cost more than cheapest, as they will still be a third of the price of M & S and just as good, as M&S is a shadow of what it once was.
JD Williams is excellent, but if you live in the area, even better are the North East & Cumbria's X Catalogue shops, these sell JD Williams (and other)ex- catalogue products at incredible discounts, right up to dress size 38. Which is sizeable.  I have a Joe Brown's top that was 1/4 of the original price, Joe Brown's jeans ditto, Joanna Hope 50 trousers for 2.49 x 5 pairs... the list goes on.
Small drawback is that I now have too many clothes, but I am gradually culling.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: 30 Jun 2012 03:58PM »
I never thought of looking in Primark!

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jun 2012 11:47PM »
AndMac, one can never have too many clothes.