Author Topic: What Boris Johnson and Grayling plan for school leavers  (Read 632 times)

Sofie

Re: What Boris Johnson and Grayling plan for school leavers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
I sort of see their point. (!) However, where are all these bloody jobs? And in the nicest way possible, who'd want a school leaver when they could hire a 40 year old with 12 years experience?

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
Teenagers are much cheaper to employ than adults.

It makes me cross because politicians bang on about political correctness and equality but younger people doing the very same job as someone older is paid less.  Where is the equality in that?

Yes, I know that apprentices and people who are being taught skills cannot expect to be paid the same as someone who is qualified but if one is doing a so called unskilled job, why shouldn't people be paid the same regardless of their age?

Sofie

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
Agreed, Yvette. One company I've worked for, you got what was the minimum wage for over 21s regardless of age. Unless you did nights or a Sunday. In which case, you got 1 or 2 more per hour.

Pentesalie

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
A friend of mine works for a very 'tory' company, the boss is an old school 'chum' of Dave's and sends him grovelling christmas cards (yuk!). Their HR department will only interview graduates, even for a janitor's job for 24 hours a week for 8K a year, because they can 'get graduates as cheaply as they can unskilled labour, and if they've got a degree they should have a brain'.............. that's a direct quote from their head of HR. They were asked if they would take 50 for interview by the JCP, then when that was too much, 25, so it would look good on the JCP books.