Author Topic: ESA Support - reassessment time  (Read 8677 times)

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
ESA Support - reassessment time
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:43 PM »
I am in the support group for nearly 3 years now so expecting ESA50 anytime for reassessment.  Is 3 years the longest time you can stay in the support group before reassessment?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
Re: ESA Support - reassessment time
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
Marfanannie,

I thought the time limit was actually two years so in theory that would make you over due, however I think the DWP and ATOs have been so overwhelmed that they are quietly going against the government's rhertoric and leaving some people to more of their life on benefits.

It may be a temporary situation but we are hearing that more people are getting put in the Support group than were and some are not even having to go to another medical.

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
I thought it was 3 years.

Hurtyback

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:54:42 AM »
I thought it was 3 years.

Me too.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
I'm interested as to where the notion of 2 or 3 year limits on ESA support group claims has come from - scouring through the Benefits & Work ESA guidance, there are no fixed terms stated in reference to these claims being reviewed:

It is intended that claimants in the WRAG will have their claim reviewed
annually,
those in the support group will also be reviewed, though probably less
frequently.

and

Claimants in the support group may
have their eligibility reassessed from time to time.

and

Support group claimants will not be obliged to meet any further conditions, such as
attending interviews, in order to continue receiving the support component, although
their continued entitlement may be reviewed periodically.

So is the 2/3 year thing an 'urban myth'??  Or have I missed something really obvious, in which case I'll whop myself with my own Flyswatter....

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
No idea Kizzy - I have obviously picked it up somewhere - never got round to asking DWP about when I would be reassessed in the future - to be quite honest too afraid to!!!

Spoke online to someone yesterday who was told by DWP, when equiring about Support group award, that he would not be asked for assessment again!! - so as you say, it could be an urban myth that has gone around - which unfortunately, if you are in the support group, never stops you worrying as to when the big brown envelope will drop through the letterbox!!!!

JLR

• Gardening Leave
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
"which unfortunately, if you are in the support group, never stops you worrying as to when the big brown envelope will drop through the letterbox!!!!"

And that's the bite that hurts.

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
My housing support worker was told its a maximum of 12 months between ESA50s by DWP as people shouldnt be in it longer than that.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »
Kizzy,

I want to do a cartwheel hopefully the 2-3 years is an urban myth and time to time means something like random checks like they have for DLA.

>biggrin<

Breeze

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
I was put in the Support Group last week and didn't have a 'medical'.  The Job Centre phoned me to tell me initially and i asked them how long it would be before i'd have to fill in another form?  They told me about three years, but couldn't say for certain and i let it go in one ear and out the other because when the letter confirming which group i was in arrived, there was no mention at all of any time limit or when i would have to fill in the next form.  It's the Job Centre who are telling people this two or three year thing, at least it was in my case and they shouldn't do that if it's not correct.  Also, they should let people have that in writing as they used to on Incapacity Benefit.

Hurtyback

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »
ESA is an unlimited award (unlike DLA). However the DWP can reassess at any time. The 'prognosis' made on the ESA85/85a gives some idea as to when to expect the next round of asessment, but it is only advisory. The word on B+W is that 3 years is the longest anyone has heard of thus far. My WRAG prognosis was 18 months.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »
My housing support worker was told its a maximum of 12 months between ESA50s by DWP as people shouldnt be in it longer than that.

It sounds very much like she was referring to the Work Related Activity Group, which does indeed have annual reviews scheduled (as per my last post.)

It's the Job Centre who are telling people this two or three year thing, at least it was in my case and they shouldn't do that if it's not correct.

I suspect the DWP frontline staff are 'winging it' themselves where ESA is concerned as it's still a new benefit.  (And remember, even if you're getting DLA 'indefinitely' (the old 'life awards') you can still be periodically reviewed, to give an example of this practice with another benefit).   So to be quite honest, if you're in the Support Group, you're as well to try and spare yourself the agony of wondering when you'll receive another ESA50 - enjoy what you have while you have it, is my motto  ;-)

Hurtyback

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
It sounds very much like she was referring to the Work Related Activity Group, which does indeed have annual reviews scheduled (as per my last post.)

My WRAG award was given for 18 months - even though I will only be able to get it for 12 because of the 365 day limit (not entitled to IR benefit).

JLR

• Gardening Leave
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
Hurtyback, if I might suggest ask the JCP folk for an ESA3 this is the form they've had me fill in which will allow my continuing on my benefits after their imposed 365 day rule even though I have not the NI payments made.

One thing I learnt, through questioning my being put into the contributions group, was that even if they had checked things and put me on income related WRAG from the start they would still have me fill out an ESA3 after the 365 days had passed as part of their means testing rules. This means I will not face the problems, the continuity of benefit payments, that others have faced when their contributions based esa runs out when I reach the 365 day limit.

bubble

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 01:19:10 AM »
I had a medical last december waited 6 months for a decision had decision in May that I was put in the support group. Only 6 weeks later I had another esa50 to fill in, when we asked why, they said the med assess said recommended 6 month review.

I nor my mp understand this as I have a degenerative condition among other things, hasnt got better for over 12 yrs, so atos must have a miracle cure. What a waste of money.

Im hoping to get in the support group again without a medical.