Author Topic: What have you had to eat today?  (Read 194548 times)

RedAndBlue

• Diamond member
    • I Once Was a 20-Something Journalism Student
Re: What have you had to eat today?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
Today I had hotdogs with onion on top, with ribena at dinner
I had a caramel freddo at some point mid-afternoon
And I've just had scouse for tea with a cup of prune juice.
A man got sick because of officiate.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
600 calories of vegetarian fare.

We're on a 5-2 diet. You eat whatever you want for 5 days, interspersed with 2 'semi-fasting' days of 600 calories. Supposed to have all sorts of benefits, like lowering long-term blood glucose levels, and others, and losing weight (well, you're having a few thousand calories less per week, so it would).

It's easier than most diets as you know that tomorrow you can EAT, so you've only got to put up with this for a day. And no, you don't jump out of bed the next morning and have an enormous breakfast! Well, we don't.

Watch it if you're in doubt or on the sort of medications that need larger quantities of food - ask a doctor or trusted nurse.

Got the idea from a Horizon programme on BBC a few weeks back.

A.

Prabhakari

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I go for two days without food, and even then just eat very little. It is nothing to do with Buddhism; just lack of interest in food.
My main food for the last five days has been a can of soup and a slice of bread.
Drinks: Tea. Soya milk. Water.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
I go for two days without food, and even then just eat very little. It is nothing to do with Buddhism; just lack of interest in food.

I wish I could develop a 'lack of interest in food'!

I'm pretty sure that when I became an ex-alcoholic my various mouth fixations got transferred to knife and fork.

A

Yvette

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
"Fox tongue?" >yikes<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 09:14:13 PM »
"had a caramel freddo at some point mid-afternoon."

Can you still get Freddos? The last time I had one was about 1979.

Breakfast today: A grapefruit-flavour Weightwaters yoghurt, a pear an orange and a nectarine.
Tea: Two cheesy pizza slices. Some cherries.
Snacks: A Breakaway, a Blue Riband, a bag of smokey bacon crisps.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
Ah, that would explain it. Thanks Wikipedia.

"Freddo bars were released onto the UK market in 1973 and withdrawn in 1979. After 15 years they were re-launched.[3] In the UK, a caramel filled version is also sold, with a yellow wrapper. In 2009, the Freddo chocolate was redesigned in the United Kingdom, featuring a new, glossier Freddo design, and a replacement Dairy Milk logo."
Yip, fox tongue. The thought of the look on the woman's face still makes me lol. As the kids say.

Yvette

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »
As you don't look as if you need to eat Weightwatcher's yoghurts, do they taste better than Muller Light yoghurts? 

I like the Muller Light Strawberry yoghurt.

And the Onken Strawberry yoghurt.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
"As you don't look as if you need to eat Weightwatcher's yoghurts, do they taste better than Muller Light yoghurts?"

They are very nice, especially the citrus selection. I'm not eating them for any weightwatching reasons though. I usually buy a selection of different ones when I do my major shopping every two to three weeks. I checked earlier. I have one Weightwatchers fromage frais, two Muller corners, one Muller light and a larger tub of Tesco coconut flavour still to go.

Amazing fact. I'd never eaten a yoghurt in my life until I was 30.

Yvette

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
Did you think you wouldn't like yoghurts?

If you thought you wouldn't like them, what made you change your mind?

With all due respect, you are a very peculiar person.    >lol<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
I didn't think I would like them. I usually trust my judgement and it's usually right. Offhand, the only other thing I can think of that I didn't think I'd like but did is mushrooms. My tastes have widened slightly since I was a child but I still know what I'm not going to like. Curries for instance. I was in my late 20s before I was actually convinced to have one, after years of sitting in Indian restaurants (where my mates always seemed to want to go after a few drinks) eating omelettes. It was just as vile as I thought it would be. I've had about five in my life (I went out with an Asian lass for a short while, who tried and failed to convince me of their merits), the last over a decade ago and will never have one again. Ever. Under any circumstances.

My yoghurt epiphany was when I was on a flight back from Prague and one was served up with the meal. I'd usually just ignore it but decided to give it a go and was surprised how nice it was. I eat them most days now. With mushrooms.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
PS, I have family members who think it's 'terrible' that I don't often try new foods. But I have a minimal interest in the stuff anyway, so why damage my tastebuds attempting to eat awful stuff?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 04:20:27 PM »
I like curries apart from the very hot ones that destroy your taste buds. They just seem silly.

That may be because I was introduced to them, a a lad, by an Anglo-Indian (as they used to call mixed race people from the sub-continent) who stayed with us for a few months while house hunting. He made the most gorgeous curries and I've had a penchant for them ever since.

Can't say I have much time for cuscus or houmus which both seem rather bland and characterless to me.

I quite like tortillas and similar wraps but have not mastered the art of not loosing the contents towards the end. They are too messy to be favourites.

Yvette

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
I like curries apart from the very hot ones that destroy your taste buds. They just seem silly.

Same here Oldtone.

I quite like tortillas and similar wraps but have not mastered the art of not loosing the contents towards the end. They are too messy to be favourites.

I can never get wraps to keep their contents either.   :-(

But they are a favourites - I just use lots of kitchen roll tucked into my top to keep my front clean and catch all the escaping bits of food! 

Yvette

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
So Jockice, you don't like curry.

You probably don't like chilli either as that is hot and spicy too.

What about spag bol?  Stew?  Casseroles? Fish and chips?

Is there anything at all you do like to eat apart from yoghurt, chocolate and Quorn?

How on earth do friends and family manage when you go to them for meals?

Do you take your own food along?