Author Topic: Online shopping delivery fees forecast to go up  (Read 4231 times)

Yvette

Online shopping delivery fees forecast to go up
« on: 18 Sep 2012 07:57AM »
Apparently, the cost of packing and delivering an online order costs supermarkets 15 - 20. 

Delivery fees for Tesco range from 3 for the cheapest slots to much more for weekend deliveries and early evening - when people who work usually prefer their shopping delivered.

I try to go for the 3 or 3.50 slots because I am at home all day.

But ordinary store shoppers are apparently subsidising online deliveries - although if you have an online order your groceries cost as much as those in the store do so you are paying the same for groceries as if you bought them in the shop.

It is forecast that the cost of deliveries will go up but if they do, even with my DLA which I use to pay for the delivery charge, it will be hard to afford it.

I do not want other shoppers to have to subsidise my online deliveries but I am unable to buy my groceries in store so I don't know what I would do.

I don't have family to help out and neighbours all work or are elderly so there isn't anyone to do the shopping for me.

Carers could do the shopping for me but I can imagine the fight with Social Services for the extra hours.

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Re: Online shopping delivery fees forecast to go up
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2012 08:32AM »
TBH Id not worry about who is paying more so you pay less...its down to the supermarkets what they charge when so if you're lucky enough to be able to benefit from getting your shopping in one of the less expensive , less popular slots then good for you.

For me when it gets to be winter and less safe underfoot Ill probably get deliveries and organise them , like you for times when most people wont want them..maybe see it as one of theperks of being a disabled person who cant work. Ill be getting deliveries because its still cheaper than having to pay for a taxi to get me to the supermarket of the online shop I use so still economic sense for me.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2012 08:48AM »
Some random thoughts:

By not going to the supermarket, online shoppers don't avail themselves so much of bogofs, or other instant offers, thus saving the supermarket money.

I don't believe it costs them 15-20 per delivery, either! Supermarkets have hard heads and their own strict for-profit agendas - if they didn't think home deliveries suited their bank balances, they wouldn't do them.

And if you use Ocado, you can pay something like 12 a month for as many deliveries as you need - we have two a week.

A

stalwart

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2012 04:57PM »
   Tescos have started up a similar system, pay monthly/3 monthly etc and have as many deliveries as you want.  But they have you then don't they, why shop somewhere else and pay.

But I'll give T's full credit.............I had a delivery on the weekend and without me noticing they supplied a 75cl bottle instead of a  1 ltr one.   I rung them and they not only refunded the difference but the 6 delivery charge as well.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2012 05:17PM »
I get home deliveries from Sainsbug's, because they deliver upstairs, though one of the delivery drivers did complain about it.

I get heavy stuff like tinned food and cat litter delivered and buy fresh food from time to time locally.  Obviously, not everyone has that option, but if you do, you only have to get a delivery, say, once a month, provided you plan ahead and keep some spare stocks.  The remaining shopping can be fairly light.  I only have heavy stuff otherwise because of doing my father's shopping and because of buying some stuff elsewhere out of preference. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Minniehaha

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2012 05:35PM »
On Thursdays Ocado deliver free of charge between 10.30pm and 11.30pm, as long as you spend over 75.  The money saved on delivery usually offsets any hgher prices paid although I've found many branded items are price-matched with Tesco's and their Waitrose essential range is very sensibly priced and of excellent quality.  And there aren't usually any items missing or substitutions.

Furthermore, they will happily carry all your shopping to your kitchen and it's all bagged up.  I stopped having home deliveries from Tesco's as I was fed up with most of it arriving unbagged and loose in the delivery box despite numerous requests and calls to their customer services.  What's the point of having your groceries delivered because of back problems to find that you have to scrabble around on the doorstep picking your items out one by one because the delivery driver isn't allowed to do it for you!

And every now and then they send eVouchers worth 20% off your total spend, up to a maximum of 16 ... every little helps!  ;-)

Minniehaha x
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2012 05:40PM by Minniehaha »

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2012 05:38PM »
I shop on-line from Tesco. The driver brings the boxes in and places them onto the work surface, then helps me unpack them from there.

Minniehaha

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2012 05:43PM »
I shop on-line from Tesco. The driver brings the boxes in and places them onto the work surface, then helps me unpack them from there.

Alas, I just don't have enough room on my work surfaces ... and isn't that a bit unhygenic anyway?  >erm<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2012 07:31PM »
Waitrose online offer free delivery for orders over 50, the delivery slots are for 2 hours i.e.. 9-11am , 2 - 6pm. I have used Ocado for a good while but realised I was using mostly Waitrose essentials which are no dearer than say sainsburys premium, and they are really good basics, so I am sticking with wait rose.

I have used Tesco's before, but they need offered to carry my bags into the kitchen, so I gave Ocado / Waitrose a go and am very happy.

Yvette

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2012 08:31PM »
I stopped having home deliveries from Tesco's as I was fed up with most of it arriving unbagged and loose in the delivery box despite numerous requests and calls to their customer services. 

Before you pay for your Tesco order, there is a section which asks you to click on the box "Groceries delivered with bags"  or "Groceries delivered with bags".

There is also a section for delivery instructions and I was told to write in the box that I am disabled and will require the driver to carry the boxes in the (ground floor) kitchen. 

Since writing that on my Tesco website, the drivers have all been brilliant and there has never been a problem with them carrying the boxes in and lifting all the bags out for me.

If they do put the boxes on the table, it can alway be disinfected afterwards.

Minniehaha

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2012 11:58PM »
I stopped having home deliveries from Tesco's as I was fed up with most of it arriving unbagged and loose in the delivery box despite numerous requests and calls to their customer services. 

Before you pay for your Tesco order, there is a section which asks you to click on the box "Groceries delivered with bags"  or "Groceries delivered with bags".

I always clicked on the box "Groceries delivered with bags" but I lost count of the times most of it arrived unbagged, hence my regular calls to customer services.  A delivery driver once told me he'd had lots of complaints about this practice (hardly his fault) and his advice was 'Refuse the delivery and they'll soon learn!" which I was sometimes tempted to do but that would've left us without grub for the weekend.

There is also a section for delivery instructions and I was told to write in the box that I am disabled and will require the driver to carry the boxes in the (ground floor) kitchen.

Since writing that on my Tesco website, the drivers have all been brilliant and there has never been a problem with them carrying the boxes in and lifting all the bags out for me.

Maybe this is where I've gone wrong as I've not specified on the website that I need help as I tend to see myself more as incapacitated by my back problems than disabled.  I'm tempted to give Tesco's another chance as I collect clubcard points but if most of my groceries arrive bagless again can I really expect the delivery driver to pick all the items out of the boxes for me?   >erm<

If they do put the boxes on the table, it can alway be disinfected afterwards.

Yes, but that's creating more work for you.   If the delivery drivers are capable of carrying large, heavy boxes into your home, they're quite capable of placing those boxes on the floor and putting the carrier bags on the table for you.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2012 12:58PM »
I prefer my shopping to be delivered without bags and am very happy to have the boxes put on the work surface. After all, I wipe them down before I prepare food anyway, so I can't see what difference it makes. I haven't mentioned disability on the order form (I have put that it takes me a while to get to the door), I just ask the drivers when they arrive and none of them have been difficult about it.

boccius

• Diamond member
« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2012 01:10PM »
I did look at Waitrose locally, as opposed to Ocado, and found that there was quite a lot they didn't stock. Odd firm, as although our nearest branch is Brent Cross, which stocks everything, the only delivering branch is Mill Hill, far smaller, and which stocks less.

Ocado, of course, aren't a shop, but a large warehouse, and can carry more lines.

Our local Tesco and Asda both had all sorts of restrictions, and charged quite large sums for deliverying when you wanted it rather than when it suited them, similar to Sainsburys.

Ocado have always been good - they expect to carry the shopping in, in carrier bags, and are always grateful that we live in a ground-floor flat and not in one of the local tower blocks. Over quite a few years I've requested refunds (on-line) for missing or damaged items, and not once have they been queried. I once got 2 bottles of posh champagne, by mistake, which I handed back to the driver (bet he was pleased).

A

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2012 09:45PM »
Have to agree Boccius

Ocado or Waitrose for me, they both offer really good service and bring the supplies straight into the kitchen without me even asking.  The foodstuff is excellent, and really good value for the essential range, added bonus of no delivery charge for Waitrose, so i am happy with either.