Author Topic: How to stop cold callers?  (Read 6753 times)

Yvette

How to stop cold callers?
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
I have an A3 size notice on my front door which states:

NO COLD CALLERS

NO SALES PERSONS

NO CANVASSERS

NO CHARITY REQUESTS

NO RELIGIOUS BODIES

But they still keep ringing the bell...    >angry<

It is just too much.  I am either in bed asleep or trying to rest, or in my reclining chair either asleep or trying to rest.  It is painful to have to get out of bed or out of my chair.  It *hurts* to move and when I am woken up it makes me feel dreadful.

A couple of days ago I was in bed and was expecting a delivery of colostomy supplies, so went downstairs (having to use a stairlift), to discover it was a cold caller and when I pointed the notice on the front door she smiled sweetly and said that her company's products were so good that people didn't mind her ignoring the sign.

Today, I was again in bed resting when a young man called.  I got up and asked through the bathroom window what he wanted - loft and wall insulation.  He said he ignored the sign because it involved giving people funding to do the work.  I told him that I had had my loft re-insulated four years ago.

Only two weeks ago a guy with a ladder came by appointment to assess the loft because (although I don't usually get cold telephone calls because I am with Telephone Preference Service) I had been receiving weekly calls about loft and wall insulation. 

In the end, to get them off my back, I made an appointment for a guy to come and he confirmed the insulation was up to current standard and asked me why I had made the appointment.  I told him that it was because I was fed up with having all the phone calls.

After the woman last week, I phoned Trading Standards (or what was Trading Standards - it comes under another name now) and they phoned the company concerned and said that their salesperson was being a nuisance.

That is all that anyone can do formally as when I phoned the Police, they told me that it isn't an offence to knock on a door which has a No Cold Caller sign and there is nothing they can do.

What can I do to make a more impressive sign?  A friend said to write, "Do not disturb - night worker."

Please help as I am so sick of being disturbed when I am trying to rest.

And before anyone suggests it, the Police said I couldn't throw a bucket of water (or anything else) out of the bathroom window.    :-(

Katie

• Gold Member
Re: How to stop cold callers?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
Maybe just actually put the explanation?

"I'm disabled and getting to the door requires considerable effort and can make me more unwell. Please do not ring the bell if you are a door-to-door salesperson, charity collector, religious or political canvasser or market researcher. Please just leave a leaflet in the post box. Thank you for your help."

If you give people a reason to follow an alternative route which looks reasonable, then they have to be really anti-social not to go down that route. By saying no, you're opening yourself up to those "Oh no, we're special" justifications. Salespeople are very good at that sort of thing -- it's how they can cope with rejection as often.

But by saying "Don't do that, but do this instead..." then people will tend to just follow the path of least resistance. It's human nature to try and be helpful.

Another option could be to install one of those door entry systems with an intercom. It would at least stop you having to move to send them away. I believe you can now get wireless ones which don't take much installing.

bubble

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »
I think I would put
I am ill at present and cannot get to the door. Unless you are delivering a parcel Im expecting, DO NOT RING DOORBELL
Many thanks for not disturbing me

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
In my last house I had a window that was above & to the left of the door, a car wing mirror was attached to the external wall outside my window & I could look at the mirror & deceide if I was going downstairs.
In my current house I have the intercom so I don't go down unless I want to
I know it might be a bit of an expense but the intercom is a blessing when I don't want to be seen never mind talking to the person.
Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:54 PM »
I agree this is so annoying. Anyone knocking on my door sets of my anxiety so I hate it. I have a council sign saying no cold callers but the chuggers regularly ignore it and once a milkman knocked and when I pointed to the sign he said that milkmen were a dying breed and the only way they can survive is to ignore the signs. I feel sorry for him BUT.

MSE has some signs you can print off http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/no-more-junk#coldcallers

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
Katie - I would be very wary of advertising that you are disabled and find it hard to get to the door.  It might encourage bad people to try to break in.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
This must be very annoying for you. I don't know what it's like where you live, but I would be worried that a sign saying 'I'm ill/disabled and can't get to the door' would give away too much information. I suspect round here it would lead to lots of extra callers, as the local kids would ring the bell and run away.

I know it might not always work very well (and it wouldn't stop people ringing the door bell in the first place), but could you arrange some kind of signal with callers so that you knew it was someone you wanted to see? Or get one of those wireless battery operated doorbells that you could set to silent/flashing light/vibrate mode when you were sleeping but could turn it on when you were expecting someone.

bubble

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
My Son put a cheap cctv camera linked to the tv channel, if someone is at the door, I can see who it is, instead of going to the door.
All the people I know thats calls to our house I have told we keep the back gate locked as well, so they have to ring before so i know theyre coming, or just wait outside, till I see them on the piccy, and then take ages to get to the door.

Yvette

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:41 AM »
Lots of food for thought, thank you.

Katie

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
"It might encourage bad people to try to break in."

Hmm. Reasonable point.

Maybe add;  "P.S. Have shotgun and perfectly capable of pulling trigger..."

:-)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
I have a sign telling people not to knock trying to sell me things (or to collect for charity, or to talk to me about religion...).  It has greatly reduced the number of people knocking at random doors who don't leave me in peace.  >thumbsup<

The most irritating was someone trying to get me to switch power-provider - he couldn't/ wouldn't understand that he was trying to sell me something >doh<  - because he was "only trying to save me some money". >steam< 
Perhaps you should add that to your sign - "I do not want/ need any advice on how to save money".

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
seegee that very comment is on one of the signs in my link above

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Thanks, Fiz - sorry I hadn't read carefully.  >blush<

Yvette

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 03:02:45 PM »
Brilliant ideas.  I have made out a new notice:

THE CONSUMER PROTECTION FROM UNFAIR TRADING REGULATIONS 2008

WE WONíT BUY FROM YOU

WE DONíT NEED ADVICE OR FUNDING

RING OR KNOCK AT YOUR PERIL AS IT WILL CAUSE HUGE OFFENCE TO THE HOUSEHOLDERS WHO WILL BE *EXTREMELY* ANGRY WITH YOU FOR BEING
DISTURBED!

JUST LEAVE AND DO NOT RETURN

FAILURE TO DO SO IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE

NO COLD CALLERS

NO CANVASSERS

NO SALES PERSONS

NO CHARITY REQUESTS

NO RELIGIOUS BODIES

seegee

• Super Hero Member