Author Topic: ESA medical/home vist?  (Read 1356 times)

Mr Crutchy

• Silver Member
ESA medical/home vist?
« on: 13 Nov 2012 11:07PM »
I have recently submitted my ESA 50 form, expecting to receive the standard rubbish response advising me that I have to attend a local health assessment centre.  Much to my surprise when the dreaded ATOS brown envelope landed on the doormat this morning, I discovered that a health advisor had recommended that I be assessed at home. 

Whilst I was rather pleased with their decision, I had not requested a home visit.  Is this common practice for ATOS to make a sensible decision based on actual medical evidence?  I have however, requested that my assessment be audio recorded and as such, my appt has been postponed until such time as the correct recording equipment becomes available.

I am adamant that a recording be made as during a previous assessment (some 2/3 years ago) the information reported by the "Doctor", was wholly inaccurate and at times make believe.  Can anyone offer any insight into ATOS' latest procedures? 

One Girl and her Big Dog

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
Re: ESA medical/home vist?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2012 11:24PM »
Not sure about home visits, but the situation with medicals at their office seems to be that yes, you can have it recorded, but as they have no working recording equipment (because it keeps getting broken whilst being sent up and down the country from one office to another), people seem to be in limbo. 

I know of one person who travelled 20 miles to attend, only to be told that they had no working equipment (but they could carry on without - umm, no, i don't think so).  Current advice on other forums is to phone on the day (or the day before if an early start) to ensure they have working equipment. 

Unless thjey have special dedicated home visit equipment, or have solved the problem, expect a long wait.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2012 02:42AM »
ATOS deciding someone should be assessed by home visit is much more common now thankfully. Be aware that the assessment begins the second the door is answered.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2012 02:00PM »
Up until recently, it was really difficult to get the ESA assessment at home, even with strong supporting evidence from medical practitioners. I am very glad that this is changing - although I am not sure whether they are able to record home assessments yet.