Author Topic: Lifespan of a mobility scooter?  (Read 3211 times)

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Lifespan of a mobility scooter?
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Hoe long does a mobility scooter last? I bought mine about 5 1/2 years ago & it is starting to get a bit sluggish (I know how it feels!).
I do get it serviced every year & I had a new battery about 2 years ago, but it definitely seems to be running out of steam & I need to charge the battery fully if I know I am going far. The battery doesn't hold its charge very well if it is cold, either.
I don't know if I am going to need to get a new one soon, or whether to just try another new battery.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has any experience of this.
Cheers!

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Re: Lifespan of a mobility scooter?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi Achesnpains. Do you know anybody with a similar scooter who would let you try their battery first. :-)

Colchy

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:34 AM »
Dear A&P's. I had a similar problem (my scooter is a bit older than yours) and I took it the local mobility dealer who tested the battery - basically it'd had it - so I bought a new battery , for around 200 I think it was, and it's been working fine ever since. So that's what I'd do if you're able, get to a dealer (preferably one who also does repairs who'll have the neccesary equipment) or call one out to firstly do a test on your present scooter's battery.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:45:04 AM »
The battery doesn't hold its charge very well if it is cold, either.

To the best of my knowledge cold weather is one of those conditions known to adversely affect battery performance.

Could other components be to blame? Sometimes on older scooters the space that the throttle lever sits in can become worn, meaning that the throttle becomes much less sensitive, and has to be depressed further and further to achieve even moderate speeds.

Would it be possible for whoever does your servicing to run a full set of diagnostic tests on the wiring and motor as well as on the battery?

Achesnpains

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice (and apologies for late reply, PC away being fixed so having to manage with phone).
I will take it to the guy that usually services it & see what he thinks. I had a new battery a cpoue of years ago so that might be the answer. It lives in the boot so will be at lower temps for  a lot of the time. I don't do much mileage but need to rely on it when I do go ouy on it.
Cheers!

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
Achesnpains

Here's another thread you might find useful:

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=4174.0

It relates to a different make and model, but contains a wealth of information.  >thumbsup<