Author Topic: Kowsky Crutches?  (Read 4416 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Kowsky Crutches?
« on: 28 Nov 2012 09:07AM »
Does anyone here have any experience of using Kowsky Crutches? At the moment they only seem to be available in the open cuff design, which I'm unsure of, having only ever used closed cuff crutches. They also look very slim - again this makes me a little concerned. My current crutches are 22mm in diameter, so they feel very solid and give plenty of support which I like for hobbling with confidence.

On the other hand, I like the idea of black cuffs and handgrips - hate the way the grey ones get so grotty-looking after a while, and I'm also attracted by the idea of a range of colours for the crutches themselves.

So, does anyone have any experience of using these? How do they compare to standard crutches?

Failing that, does anyone have any good ideas for decorating bog-standard grey crutches? >thumbsup<

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Kowsky Crutches?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2012 03:00PM »
I bought my crutches from www.coolccrutches.com and really like them.  I've had them for about 6 years and they have worn pretty well.  Mine are purple  >biggrin<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2012 07:09PM »
There's a wee extra 'c' between the 'cool' and the 'crutches' in the link, DD. ;-)

Thanks - those look great! Although the leopard print ones ... >yikes<

What are the handles like - can't tell from the pictures, or find the information on the site. Are they they moulded type which support the whole palm, or the round variety?

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2012 03:11AM »
They're round, although they have some shape to them.  They come supplied with a neoprene type grip cover which makes them quite comfortable to use.  I wear wrist splints and find them much easier than the moulded palm supports.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2012 07:41AM »
I use the moulded ones to avoid ulnar nerve compression, which was a problem when using round handles. Which is a shame, as otherwise those crutches seem perfect!

Meridi

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2012 02:01PM »
Love the purple colours.

I need contoured hand grip too

Found these reasonable price as my OT/physio do not supply the anymore

http://www.nrs-uk.co.uk/coopers-elbow-crutches-with-comfy-handle-double-adjustable-crutches-986.html

Meridi

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2012 02:25PM »
Ok I just had to go for the puple ones could not resist, now do you think I can justify this under personal budget???? :)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2012 08:49PM »
Oddly enough, Meridi, the Coopers crutches you linked to in your first post are the very ones I use. Can't get them from physio either, but they have the most comfortable handles I've come across.

Those purple ones are lovely - have been eyeing them up since DD posted the link. As we both seem to favour anatomical grip crutches, let me know how you find them!

Ok I just had to go for the puple ones could not resist, now do you think I can justify this under personal budget???? :)

Yeah - why not >biggergrin<

Meridi

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2012 04:23PM »
yep I must have the grip that supports hand more.

Anyway my bright and Purply cutches arrived yesterday ( two days!!)

They so quiet compared to NHS ones, and low impact too.

The neoprene tube is a must for handles as if like me you may get nerve pain due to hardness of handle but it has the moulded support for hand.

Its like getting a new pair of fancy shoes!!!!  >biggrin<

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2012 04:37PM »
Glad you like your new purple crutches.  So much nicer than boring nhs grey ones!

Yvette

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2012 08:17AM »
Fabulous.   >cracker<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2012 10:55AM »
I am interested in your comments about the handles, Meridi. I used to get ulnar nerve compression with my walking sticks but am a bit better with crutches. However, I am now getting a callus on the inside of my thumb and pain in the palm of my hand, so I clearly need to look at alternatives.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2012 11:23AM »
Congratulations on your new crutches, Meridi >cracker<

And thanks for the feedback regarding the handles >thumbsup<

Meridi

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2012 04:56PM »
The only problem with handles is that they hard, but the neoprene tube offsets this a bit.

They have extra moulding so very supportive and put no pressure on arch between thumb and first finger

I also like the encircling clasp which you can remove if you want, it emans if you pick something up or do seomthing with your hand the cruthces will still stay on your arm instead of falling.

Moulded handles are sooooooo much better then old fashioned straight grip.

My NHS crutches have soft moulded grip but aprently they not doing these anymore, thats why I have really apreciated this thread.  :-)

lisa91

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2012 04:58PM »
Does anyone here have any experience of using Kowsky Crutches? At the moment they only seem to be available in the open cuff design, which I'm unsure of, having only ever used closed cuff crutches. They also look very slim - again this makes me a little concerned. My current crutches are 22mm in diameter, so they feel very solid and give plenty of support which I like for hobbling with confidence.

On the other hand, I like the idea of black cuffs and handgrips - hate the way the grey ones get so grotty-looking after a while, and I'm also attracted by the idea of a range of colours for the crutches themselves.

So, does anyone have any experience of using these? How do they compare to standard crutches?

Failing that, does anyone have any good ideas for decorating bog-standard grey crutches? >thumbsup<

Hello,

I use kowsky crutches and I love them. I used to use closed cuff crutches too and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use the open cuff ones, but I actually find them a lot easier to use and more comfortable. It takes a little bit of adjustment but in the long run I'm happy with them.

The hand grips are AMAZING. My previous crutches had hard ergonomic grips which gave me blisters, but these ones are actually so comfy. Also, they're completely silent, and they are very strong and will support your full weight. Also, they look great!
"There are two kinds of 'disabled' persons: Those who dwell on what they have lost and those who concentrate on what they have left." - Thomas S. Szasz