Author Topic: 'Scapegoat'  (Read 1254 times)

Minniehaha

'Scapegoat'
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »
I've just started reading 'Scapegoat' (Why we are failing disabled people) by Katharine Quarmby, a book about disability hate crime and attitudes towards disabled people in Britain today. 

The first chapters of the book deal with disability hate crime down the ages and the various reasons for it, including fear of those who are deemed 'different' or the need to scapegoat those who are considered to be a 'drain on resources' during economic downturns in order to justify punitive measures ... sound familiar?

Apparently, while the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome held disabled people in much contempt, those of Mesopotamia and Egypt (for a time) were far more accepting. 

One ancient Egyptian text, the Instruction of Amenemope, declares:

Do not laugh at a blind man
Nor tease a dwarf
Nor cause hardship for the lame.
Don't tease a man who is in the hand of the God
Nor be angry with him for his failings.

This vile Condem Coalition could learn much about compassion from the ancient Egyptians.

Jockice

• Charter Member
Re: 'Scapegoat'
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Good book.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:48:50 PM »
Darn it East Sussex Library hasn't got a copy ... Yet!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Minniehaha

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
Maybe your library will obtain a copy if you request it, ATurtle. 

I'm over halfway through the book which isn't bad going for someone who has problems with concentration!  It's an excellent book and the author has carried out extensive research into the subject but it isn't an easy read as some of the case histories are quite harrowing. 

It's also surprising to discover that disability hate crime is often categorised by the police as random acts of violence or vandalism and, in some cases, even sustained campaigns of harassment against disabled people are just treated as anti-social behaviour.  >erm<

Minniehaha

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
I've finished the book and I'd be happy to offer it to anyone who wants it.  It might be particularly useful for anyone studying social sciences.

Just send me a pm if you're interested.  If no-one wants it I'll donate it to my local library.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »
"It's also surprising to discover that disability hate crime is often categorised by the police as random acts of violence or vandalism and, in some cases, even sustained campaigns of harassment against disabled people are just treated as anti-social behaviour."

Why not, it's easier for them to claim it's random than have to get involved in a round of one against many.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel