Author Topic: letter from DWP; don't panic, it's an information letter - about PIP!  (Read 848 times)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
I got a letter from DWP which was an annual proof of DLA entitlement + to tell me about the amount from April. 
There are three pages added to the back of the letter (already 5 pages long; are DWP keeping the paper industry going? >lol<). 
These three extra pages are about Personal Independence Payment (which I'll shorten to PIP in rest of this) and how people currently receiving DLA are affected.

People aged 65 or over on or before 8 April 2013 don't need to claim PIP & will continue to get DLA unless their circumstances change.

Children will continue to receive DLA until they reach the age of 16.
Children who reach the age of 16 before 7 Oct 2013 will continue to receive DLA until at least 2015 unless the award is due to end or their circumstances change.

Those aged between 16 & 65...
"If there are changes in how your health condition or disability affects you on or after 7 October 2013 then you'll be asked to make a claim for PIP.  When you report the change of needs we'll explain what will happen next."

If an existing DLA award is due to end or be reviewed on or after 7 Oct 2013 and you haven't already received a renewal letter, you'll be asked to make a claim for PIP.  "We'll write to you in plenty of time if you need to take any action. You don't need to contact us now."

"Everyone else in receipt of DLA will not be contacted until 2015 or later, unless you report a change in circs or if your award is due to end as above. We'll write to you in plenty of time to explain. You don't need to contact us now."
If, after we contact you about claiming PIP, you decide to apply, your DLA will continue to be paid until we make a decision about your claim.  If you decide not to apply for PIP, your DLA will end."

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
Re: letter from DWP; don't panic, it's an information letter - about PIP!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
 >tah< for posting this, Seegee  >thumbsup<

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
I shortened it a lot & changed the order of presentation; hope it's now slightly easier than wading through the three pages of print DWP deemed necessary.

Everyone who gets DLA will get the same guff with this year's uprating information letter.  I wanted to reduce the number of ouchers panicking when the envelope feels too hefty to be the normal stuff; the weight & thickness did give me a bit of a worry until I got it open (quickly, to shorten worry time).

DWP do seem rather worried themselves that if they don't emphasise that recipients don't have to do anything yet they'll be buried under the huge number of people phoning or writing for clarification.

marfanannie

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
I too received a letter today outlining my award and about the rise in April but no extra pages about PIP.  Maybe they forgot to put mine in???

Robuk1981

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:47:18 AM »
I hope you guys are right about this I've been loosing sleep for nights over this.

KizzyKazaer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »
Hi Robuk1981 and welcome to OuchToo - what in particular is worrying you here?

Robuk1981

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:30 PM »
Well my mother gets DLA and the only thing I've received was a letter saying benefits are changing from April. The whole thing scares me silly.

KizzyKazaer

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »
Is your mum 65 years old or more?  The change to PIP is only for those aged 16 - 64..

Robuk1981

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »
She turns 60 this year

KizzyKazaer

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
If she has an indefinite award, it might be that the DWP have at last decided to save all the PIP blurb till nearer the time, ie 2015.  I honestly wouldn't think too much about it right now, as when the appropriate time arrives, they will be in contact one way or the other - then you can take it from there!  (By which time more information will be available on how best to complete the forms  ;-))

Robuk1981

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
I hope so were only just starting to get some of the newer health problems looked at I'm starting to see the onset of somthing like dementia as last week she tired to clean the deep fat fryer by filling it with water and clothes detergent needless to say that dident go well.

KizzyKazaer

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 05:59:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Robuk, it must be a lot for you to deal with - is your mum getting any help from Social Services?

Robuk1981

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
Used to get help before the old family doctor retired no one gives a monkeys now to be honest. Sorry for hijacking this thread btw.

jon1977

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
Can I firstly say thank you for posting this! I am sure others have. I always have this paranoid mentality that they are going to cancel my allowence, call me a fraud etc. It clearly must be medication related due to the nature of my disablity. Anyway I know morphine, diazepam and DHC alter your perceptions... so the minor skim I read above helped me clarify what started to pannic me.

Funny thing is and I will put a introduction in, but this is the first time I came across this site. I have seen alot online and never bothered with them. According to all the other sites Far less possitive to this.  Virtually no on will own a mobility car, or get credit towards it. I can see alot of fake people out there just by reading there posts. And it does annoy me. Anyway goona shoot and say thank you for the post.... and I will introduce myself in the appropiate section.
 :-)

KizzyKazaer

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »
A belated welcome to the board, Jon1977 - glad you found the information useful and hope to see more of your posts  :-)