Author Topic: Is this disability hate crime  (Read 1373 times)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Is this disability hate crime
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »
On bbc radio York there has just been a story of a woman in Haxby  sat in her wheelchair with a young child on her knee + a car reversed in to her then just  drove off

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Re: Is this disability hate crime
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
Its certainly criminal...

its only disability hate tho if it can be shown the driver reversed into the woman using the chair and the child because t the woman was disabled... it could be he reversed into her accidentally and drove off in a panic... not good but not down to hate of disabled people... quite possibly whoever  theyd reversed into theyd have driven away.

We do have to beware of looking at every nasty incident that involves a disabled person as a hate crime or hate incident ...sadly sometimes disabled people like anyone else are victims of pure and simple accidents.

Hopefully the driver will be rightly caught and punished for failure to stop after an accident at a  a minimum and depending on the circumstancsesvwith careless or dangerous driving.
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
To be truthful, as a driver, seeing a wheelchair behind your car while reversing is difficult.  I know this, having experience in reversing near chair-users.  My difference is that I am accustomed to driving near children, short people of roughly the same height as a person in a wheelchair.

I use more than usual care in reversing, people have remarked that it looks as if my head is on a swivel when moving around near the school.  Unfortunately, many other users of these potentially lethal lumps of metal that weigh about 2,000 kg, forget this is a lethal lump of metal that weighs about 2,000 kg that they are in charge of!

As Myrtle said, we have to be sure this was not purely an accident before shouting about hatred.

Head-dress in crimson (just had a cryptic crossword puzzle clue that read: hat Red =HATRED!)
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
I suspect it was just a bad driver.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
Do you know whether the woman & child were injured, bule?  Must have been quite shaken up even if not hurt I expect.
The driver will be in trouble if found - careless driving & /or leaving the scene of an accident are offences as myrtlemaid says.  It's quite likely the driver didn't see them as not looking for people shorter than average, then panicked & drove away. 
Do you have a link to the story?

lankou

• Charter Member

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Hello See

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
Hello SeeHee

The story in the York Press say's  the incedent happened between 11.30am + 12 noon yesterday 12/2/13 the 40 year old  woman injured her arm but not badly hurt the boy was very shaken + still is infomation about the car is scetchy it was a red car + the male driver was between 40 + 50 + there was a female passanger  leaving the scene of an accident without informming the police is a crime

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
Wasn't me, I was in Hastings then.  I hope the driver gets the book thrown at him! Bookcase and all!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:31:14 PM »
Thanks for that link, lankou.  Thanks for the details as well bule.
 >thankyou<
http://www.minsterfm.com/news/local/893218/york-mum-in-wheelchair-knocked-over-by-a-car-speaks-out/

Sounds as if both mother and son were pretty badly shaken up, though not physically injured apart from some mild bruises/ grazes.  Hope they manage to deal with the upset well (and that the driver has the sense not to wait until the police have checked any nearby CCTV then come looking for him).

Wasn't me either ATurtle; I can't drive & haven't been to York for years.  ;-)

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 08:04:55 PM »
"Wasn't me either ATurtle; I can't drive & haven't been to York for years."

Don't do it. Driving in York's a nightmare, especially if you need to park anywhere in the town centre. I'll never get that six hours back...

Peggythepirate

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »
its only disability hate tho if it can be shown the driver reversed into the woman using the chair and the child because t the woman was disabled...

No. It's a hate crime if the disabled person feels targeted because they're disabled.

I suspect it was just a bad driver.
It may well have just been a bad driver. I don't know because I wasn't there.