Author Topic: Just a wee question - free prescriptions and dental treatment?  (Read 5338 times)

JLRRAC

Just a wee question - free prescriptions and dental treatment?
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:55:04 PM »
As I've mentioned in previous postings I was put into wrag before being asked by the JC+ personal advisor, who phoned me in my first interview, to contact the JC+ folk and have them deal with an appeal. To date I've not heard anything regarding what's happening so far as this appeal is going but my wee question is this, 'With regards to various passported benefits I was entitled to through my being on Income Support do these still stand for someone, in theory at least, in wrag?

It's just that if I were to be asked if I get income support now I wouldn't be too sure of the answer, I don't know if it's part of the wrag benefit I get or if I'm getting wrag or some other term for my benefits that might not see me qualify for passported benefits whilst they deal with appeals.

I'd hate to find that I had unwittingly claimed let's say to my dentist that I received income support, which would qualify me for free dental treatment, rather than another benefit which might not have the same qualifying entitlements leaving me open to accusations by the DWP of benefit fraud.

edit > added to the title > Sunshine.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:56:15 AM by SunshineMeadows »

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Just a wee question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
If your income is low but you're not currently receiving IS or have any other automatic reason to have free prescriptions, you can get a form HC1 to claim free prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests, etc on the grounds of low income.
NHS choices website says:- "You can order an HC1 form online or pick one up at your local Jobcentre Plus office and most NHS hospitals. Your doctor, dentist or optician may also be able to give you one."  More details on this page...
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-low-income-scheme.aspx

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »
JLR,

From what you have said before I thought you were on Income Based ESA WRAG which is means tested in the same way Income Support is so as far as I know you still entitled to things like free prescriptions and dental treatment etc.

Dig out you ESA award letter and check if it says Income Based ESA.

Seegee,

That is a good link  >thumbsup< Both Mr Sunshine and I save money paying for a annual subscription for prescriptions rather than having to pay per item.

If I was working and getting Tax Credits there is a possibility that I would also get free prescriptions etc.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:43 PM »
 NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate is what I was trying to describe for people who get Tax Credits, its on the link Seegee gave.

Night >zzz<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
Thanks for that link, I didn't know you could order an HC1 form online, I just ordered one for dd who will be off to Uni in Sept, hopefully.

JLRRAC

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:22:09 AM »
Sunshine, so far as I'm aware at the moment I'm on contribution ESA but as I have been in contact with the DWP/JC+ folk to explain my circumstances they have told me I will automatically be transferred when the 12 month contributory ESA ends, I hope they're right and remember to carry out the transfer >yikes<

devine63

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »
Hi Fiz

I think you mentioned before that your daughter is disabled, I hope that she is starting a claim for disabled students' allowances - PM me or post here if you want more information.
regards, Deb

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:01:26 AM »
Just bear in mind that the situation for these passported medical and dental benefits can be different in Scotland where JLR is.  For example, we have no prescription charges at all in Scotland.  They are completely free of charge to everyone regardless of ones' income or benefits status.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
Information from Scotland about NHS charges for dental care, hope this is useful:-

from here - http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/Services/Dentistry

"NHS dental treatment charges
People automatically entitled to free NHS dental treatment are:

Children under 18 years of age
Full-time students aged 18
Pregnant women and nursing mothers

Others on low incomes may be able to get help.  The leaflets HCS 1: Are You Entitled to Health with Health Costs and HCS 2: A Quick Guide to Help with Health Costs provides more information.

Unless you are in one of the groups entitled to free NHS dental treatment or help with the cost you will require to pay 80% of the cost of your NHS dental treatment up to a maximum of 384 per course of treatment."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:47:30 PM by seegee »

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
This page:- http://www.hscbusiness.hscni.net/services/2374.htm mentions which people are automatically exempt from charges for dental treatment in Northern Ireland (and mentions HC2/ HC3, which sounds exactly like the English system of completing form HC1 to get full or partial help with health costs).

This page:- http://www.healthcosts.wales.nhs.uk/home is about help with health costs in Wales, while this:- http://www.healthcosts.wales.nhs.uk/document/182516 gives more details about eligibility for help including (about the low income scheme)... "If you would like to find out if the scheme can help you, pick up an HC1W form (claim for help with health costs) from a Jobcentre Plus office or NHS hospital. Your dentist or optician may have copies too"

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
It's also possible to reclaim recent health costs you have paid (definitely in England at least), so if you don't qualify automatically for free treatment/ prescriptions/ travel to attend hospital appointments but think you might on grounds of low income, keep your receipts and ask clinics to give you proof of attendance. 
I have a certificate for help with costs; have to take it with a slip from the clinic to the cash office in the hospital + transport ticket to get my fare refunded (there's a milage allowance for drivers).

The low income scheme doesn't seem to be well publicised, though I think I've seen reference to it in a dentist's (I know at least one optician & one GP surgery who have them if you ask for one, though it's not clear how people are meant to find out the scheme exists to start with. :-().

Monic1511

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
Hi JLR

You are probably on contribution based ESA wrag group paid at 99.15/week but since you have been transferred you may be on con based income of 110 or 105 per week.
When you phoned DWP to ask them to consider you for income related ESA they should have sent you a form to sign confirming your savings are less than 6K and you have no other income.   Do you get DLA?  its just if you get middle rate care you are entitled to an income related top up of ESA, lots of folk have to apply for this.
The forms are ESA3 or just a A4 double sided page, depends on what is sent to you.

The other reason for making sure you get any income related amounts is of course housing benefit and council tax benefit,  good luck
Monic

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
Seegee,

Thank you for posting more info about the Low Income Scheme, I am going to edit the name of the thread and move it to Welfare Rights so the people who visit there can more easily see it.

Monic,

I was hoping someone would make a post about getting some Income Related ESA on top of Contribution based  >thumbsup< I have had foggy head and so had not been able to put the words together.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Just a wee question - free prescriptions and dental treatment?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
I'd hate to find that I had unwittingly claimed let's say to my dentist that I received income support, which would qualify me for free dental treatment, rather than another benefit which might not have the same qualifying entitlements leaving me open to accusations by the DWP of benefit fraud.

If a person says they are entitled to free treatment and they are not it is fraud, but if someone makes a mistake especially if they thought they were entitled and would have been if they had filled in the correct form then probably just a slap on the wrist rather than a fraud case. You might have to pay the cost you incurred though.

Anyway now that you are better informed about what to do you can make sure you claim and therefore won't make a mistake in your paperwork.

JLRRAC

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
Hi JLR

You are probably on contribution based ESA wrag group paid at 99.15/week but since you have been transferred you may be on con based income of 110 or 105 per week.
When you phoned DWP to ask them to consider you for income related ESA they should have sent you a form to sign confirming your savings are less than 6K and you have no other income.   Do you get DLA?  its just if you get middle rate care you are entitled to an income related top up of ESA, lots of folk have to apply for this.
The forms are ESA3 or just a A4 double sided page, depends on what is sent to you.

The other reason for making sure you get any income related amounts is of course housing benefit and council tax benefit,  good luck
Monic

Monic, to be honest I can't mind quite how the chat I had with JC+ about this contributions based benefits went however so far as I understand things my benefits were topped up on my moving to WRAG though quite what's happening now I haven't a clue, just waiting to either get a brown envelope or a call from my MP's office who I called regarding this. I do not know anything about a top up to middle rate care on DLA which I am on and was awarded for an indefinite period or 'life' as it said on the award letter.