Author Topic: Blue badge holders and the finger-wagging brigade.  (Read 3215 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member

Yvette

Re: Blue badge holders and the finger-wagging brigade.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:55:25 PM »
Not that itís only fellow blue badge users who glower, point, or gesticulate if you happen to be under 60 when you pull up into a disabled space with a blue badge prominently displayed.

I used to get that all the time when I first became disabled. Older people were rather shocked when I got my wheelchair out - as the article says, some believe younger people - even those in their forties - can't be disabled.

And even though I am now in my late fifties (although I admit I do look younger - truth), it still happens.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
Not that itís only fellow blue badge users who glower, point, or gesticulate if you happen to be under 60 when you pull up into a disabled space with a blue badge prominently displayed.

Try using a parking a motorcycle displaying a blue badge in a disabled parking space. I had to download and print out the regulations for a disabled friend to show finger-waggers including police officers that she was entitled to park.

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Yvette - couldn't agree more.  I've always looked v. young for my age (so I'm told - even by my old GP) so was assumed to be in my twenties when I was first ill and became wobbly and using crutches. 

I don't drive but my father (unpaid chauffeur  >whistle<) has a 4x4 because we live in a rural and very hilly area which is needed when the weather is bad otherwise I would be totally cut-off, also the height of the car always allows for easy access for me.

As you can imagine we frequently get really dirty looks when he parks in Blue Badge bays.  I guess he lives up to every Daily Mail stereotype. It wouldn't occur that it isn't a motability car and that he doesn't claim any benefits. He hops out looking quite hale and hearty for his age and then helps me out, according to the elderly finger waggers, too young to use the space >doh<

lankou - I've often wondered about the problems of parking motorcyles in disabled spaces, I'm sure a lot of police officers have absolutely no idea about it and would just go with the easiest option of saying you weren't entitled to park there.
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
"I've always looked v. young for my age."

Oh god, I know that feeling. But strangely I've rarely been questioned about my blue badge use. I've had the odd puzzled look when I pull up into spaces., been asked if I'm elegible a couple of times, and I recently had to show my face on the badge to traffic wardens, even though I was halfway out of the car with my crutches fully on display at the time, but I've never really had a row about me using disabled spaces. I've had rows with those using the spaces without a blue badge but that's a different matter.

In a similar way that just because I've never been called a benefits scrounger or suchlike I wouldn't claim that it's never happened to any other disabled person ever, I'm not denying that it happens, just saying that it's never really happened to me. So far.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »
Well you blue badge abusing benefit scrounger now it has.  >whistle<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:15:55 PM »
Thanks Dic. I feel whole now.

TemporallyLoopy

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »
See Jockice, that's what you come on here for.  To give you that rounded, feel-good experience  >lol<
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

(Betty Talmadge, b. 1924)

Pentesalie

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
My carer and I have had a few strange looks when she pulls into a disabled parking bay, she now drives for me since my arms packed up. She then gets out of the car, gets my wheelchair out of the boot and sets it up, has to physically help me into it by moving my legs, and push me off to wherever it is we want to go. By the time we've completed this any would-be finger-waggers have got the message.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
I've only just got my badge - for use in son's car and any others I might be in.

Usually we can't get in the disabled bays anyway as they are always full- there's 2 x the number for parents taking kids, of course, who scream their heads off all the way round the store and making shopping hell.
(I do like kids, I was a reg. childminder for 18 years - large supermarkets are not a nice place to be for children, why don't people realise this? )

"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:59 AM »
One thing that many non-blue badge holders seem to think is that you can park anywhere for as long as you want with one. If only. I've had people expecting me to park in the most impossible places. Blocking other drivers off so they can't get out? No problem. They won't mind when they see I have a blue badge. In fact they'll probably take my registration number so they can find my address and send me flowers as well.

Every Christmas Eve I go to the pub with schoolmates. It's a tradition. And I drive there as I can neither take nor be arsed with alcohol. One year I got a surprise call from a schoolmate who isn't part of this tradition so I picked him up on the way there. On arriving at the pub we found that there weren't any parking spaces on the road outside, although there was a (highly illegal) space sort of at the side of the pub. After a bit of umming and ahing (and being told by my mate - a non driver - that it would be okay there as I can apparently park wherever I like) I pulled in, reckoning it would be alright as a one-off as it was Christmas Eve, very icy so I had to park as close to the pub as possible and in a suburb so the chances of police/traffic wardens being on the prowl were slim.

So far so good. Except that on leaving the pub with my mates at the end of the night I was greeted with a mass drunken chorus of: "Look where he's parked! He's practically in the middle of the road! Thinks he can park anywhere with that badge!" Etc etc. Grrr....

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
"One thing that many non-blue badge holders seem to think is that you can park anywhere for as long as you want with one."

Actually my dad was one of them. Then he got his own blue badge. And continued thinking exactly the same. He point blank refused to use - or even put in his car - that little clock for use in time-restricted areas or on double yellow lines. Now I'd had warning notes at times when I'd forgotten to put mine up, so told him about this and warned him he could be fined. His reply was: "Well, I'll write in and complain to them then." As I've said, my dad was one of life's moaners and if there wasn't anything to moan about he'd create something to moan about.

He seemed to lead a charmed life though until the time when I was with him and he attempted to park in the car park on private premises. He tried the 'I'm a disabled driver and so is my son' bit until he was firmly told that if he left the car there unguarded it would definitely be clamped within minutes. He soon moved then.

(PS, another family member - no names, no pack drill, whatever that means - was awarded a blue badge despite beng unable to drive. So it was passed onto another family member who could drive but was not disabled and did not live anywhere near the badge holder. I was appalled to find this out - and I was told as if I should be impressed - and made clear my annoyance. I don't know if it made any difference to what they did but it was never mentioned to me again.)

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »

(PS, another family member - no names, no pack drill, whatever that means - was awarded a blue badge despite beng unable to drive.

That is all perfectly legal and above board, many blue badge holders cannot drive, which is why over the course of a year my own car is parked in disabled parking spaces displaying the blue badge of whoever I have taken to an appointentment or is going shopping.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
Yeah, I know that. But passing it on to someone who lived more than a hundred miles away and who rarely (if ever) used their car to ferry the badge holder anywhere is stretching the rules more than a bit.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Yeah, I know that. But passing it on to someone who lived more than a hundred miles away and who rarely (if ever) used their car to ferry the badge holder anywhere is stretching the rules more than a bit.

That is a criminal offence not stretching the rules.