Author Topic: Letter saying (I think) I am changing from Contribtuion ESA to Income  (Read 3179 times)

summer

• Silver Member
Had a letter say that I cannot get Contribution ESA after 8 June as my 365 days are up (they kindly sent me a new ESA form to fill in a few days ago  >steam<
A few pages later it states I am entitled to income related ESA (wish it had put this at the beginning as my heart and leg sunk), they really word this letters badly.

I am enquring is this entitles me to anyother benefits for which on Contribution based I was not entitled?
Am I right in saying if you’re getting income-related ESA, you’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of the following:
the support or work-related component of ESA
a severe or enhanced disability premium
a child who is disabled
Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
I have a child who is disabled and I get child tax credits for her - so I think that means this winter (nov ish onwards) I am entitled to cold weather payments?
Is there anything else that will change and I may be entitled too please?
Thanks in advance.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Hi Summer - yes, receiving income-based ESA 'passports' you to other benefits, including 'health benefits' like: free prescriptions, dental treatment, eyesight tests and vouchers towards glasses.  Also the maximum payable Housing Benefit if you rent your home, and automatic full Council Tax benefit (though these two benefits are changing in April - you will receive letters from your particular local authority about these changes, and CT benefit will vary according to what area you live in).  If you are buying your home, you will get help with the mortgage interest.

You may also receive extra amounts of income-based ESA (called 'premiums') if you get DLA middle or higher rate care component; I'll explain these further if needs be.

And you're correct about your entitlement to Cold Weather Payments  (not to be confused with the Winter Fuel Payment, which is a lump sum paid annually to pensioners only.)  CWPs are 'triggered' when the temperature is at or below freezing, actual or forecast, for 7 consecutive days - and you don't have to claim them, they will be paid automatically. 

Hope this helps answer your questions!  (will move this thread to Welfare Rights later)

summer

• Silver Member
Hi, Thanks for the reply,

BUT as usual i have intrtputed esa letter wrongly (my cognitve function is extrmemly bad).
I called dwp and spoke to a stupid man and ended up in tears, he said I had to fill in new esa50 and then see what happens with beneifts,
I said I understand that but I could not go without benefits while waiting to see if i am entitled to income related esa when contribution ends.
He then said I have to fill in form esa3 (this took me 15 mins to get this out of him). I said is the form automatically sent, he had to go and check OMG  (hair pulling by this time) or do I have to ask for it. He said ask, so I said can you send it then, yes he said - what an idiiot -even asked which address to send it to - I said the one we are talking about now.........
So this form is coming out to me.
Do you know if I am entitled will there be a break in my benefits?
Sorry for the confusing but its nice to know what I will be entitled too if I get income related - I am not sure what the threshold is be able to get income related - do you have any infor on this please?

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Hi Summer,
You will be entitled to income-related ESA if you live alone and have no other income (DLA does not count) and your savings are below £6000. You might still be entitled under other circumstances but it is less clear-cut.

Get thte ESA3 filled and and submitted as soon as you can and, hopefully, there will be no break in payments.

You must still get the new ESA50 filled in and submitted on time in order to continue to be entitled to ESA.

Strangely, I got a feeling of Deja Vu when reading and replying to your post  >whistle<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
It can be hard work talking to DWP telephone staff about ESA, I think they use some sort of a script .. The ESA3 is just a form to gather all the information the DWP need to assess whether you are entitled to income-based, like what other money do you have coming in.  I can't give you a weekly income 'threshold' as such because it varies across different types of claims, but note that if you have £16,000 and over in savings you won't be entitled at all.  You can use this online benefits calculator for an idea of what you personally might receive, though:  https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser

If you are entitled to income-based ESA, there will be no break in benefits, it will be paid as an immediate follow-on from ESA (C).

PS - I noted that Hurtyback has also posted while I was typing this, so I'm adding an extra note about savings - if between £6,000 and £15,999, there may still be entitlement to means-tested benefits, but the DWP will deduct £1 a week for every £250 (or part of £250) over £6,000.  Thanks for reminding me, Hurtyback  ;-) >thumbsup<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Summer,

Welcome to Ouch Too. Sorry to read you are going through what can be a scary time because it takes time to sort out.

As Kizzy already mentioned once you get Income Based ESA you are passported to other benefits like Housing Benefit so you might end up with more income. However, there is a sticking point in that if you have a partner and they work their income can affect any income based benefit. Sorry but I dont remember the earnings limit right now but I do know if a partner works full time they will be earning too much for a claim for income based benefit to be successful.

It is important that you get the ESA50 filled in because there is a possibility you might meet the criteria for the Support Group ESA which is not time limited like WRAG ie you would continue to get contribution based ESA.

About 5 or 6 people here on Ouch Too were initially put in WRAG but then either reassessed before April 2012 when the changes came in or appealed and we were put in the Support Group.

This link will take you to a pdf version of the ESA3 form so you can get a look at it while you are waiting for yours to arrive.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
It is not just the earnings limit Sunny. A partner working more than 24 hours a week means that the claimant would not be entitled to income related ESA, no matter what was earned.