Author Topic: help with bathroom  (Read 2065 times)

bubble

help with bathroom
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »
Hi any advice re questions I can ask them as well.  I rang social services re help with a shower as I can no longer get in the bath, our shower is in the bath. They will come out and do an assessment. Any advice, I find it awkward talking about personal care needs and what questions they will ask.
Hubby helps me but its difficult.

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: help with bathroom
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »
When I contacted the council about my adaptions they told me the wait for an assessment would be 6 months. It was 18 months in the end. I was assessed as being in substantial need as the property only had a bath and I cannot bend to get out of them. The OT who did the assessment talked about the adaptions, measured where I'd need hand rails etc. and approved it all and sent it off to a surveyer who then came out to check technicalities. I then waited while they sourced a worker to do it all. For me it was all very stressful because I don't cope well with people in my house but the day I had my first shower and hair wash and the realisation that I could wash my hair without pain just left me in tears of happiness and it was all worth it. Took 18 months from referral though to get that shower and that with a substantial need!

So I'd say, be prepared for a wait. But the OT was very open to my options and wants and helped me get what I needed. Are you registered disabled? You have to be to get a DFG. I hadn't know that and wasn't, but the OT then registered me as disabled under mental health which then opened the doors to getting my need for help for my physical difficulties! Silly but at least there was a means to an end and she was on the ball.

Yvette

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
I am delighted for you.  :-)

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
Please don't worry about being embarrassed re personal care, we all need it and OT's do this work all the time. For the shower, do you think you will need a shower chair with it, would you be able to stand long enough for a shower? You could ask for a shower chair to be included in the adaptation, or ask for a flip up ledge that is built into the tiles. Just think about this, you want to enjoy the shower but if standing takes too much out of you it might cause more problems. Will you be able to shower yourself? Will you be able to reach your nether regions or will you need help? An option would be to have a shower chair which reclines and eases the spray underneath. We sometimes use a shower chair that doubles up as a commode on wheels that can be put over the toliet, this reduces the need for 2 bits of equipment. Just think it all through, sometimes you need to spell these things out though as OT's won't know everything about your situation.I hope this helps GM

devine63

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:15 AM »
Hi

the main things that usually make a difference are a level access shower (wet room style - so the whole room is waterproof  and the shower doesn't have a specific enclosure -  is ideal for many people, but some prefer an enclosed shower with a level base) and things (if needed) like an extra long shower hose (not a shower head fixed permenantly to the wall), easy to use shower controls,  grab rails where you need them and either a shower seat attached to the wall or a shower chair (i.e. plastic wheelchair that can go under shower) or a stool / chair which can sit under the shower and not rust.  Then there are any adaptations you might need around the toilet.

WHat can be done depends a bit on what plumbing and stuff you already have and where drains are and stuff like that.  They will ask about your income and savings and stuff in order to make the financial assessment.
regards, Deb

bubble

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:11:05 AM »
Hi Im still awke just seen you were on here/ >biggergrin<

bubble

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:22:26 AM »
The thing is it has to be suitable for me, firstly but also my family, Hubby and son.

At the mo the bathseat is in the bath and its a nuisance when they shower, but they have to put up with it or haul it out each time.

I have enough roomfor a shower cubicle and a bath in the bathroom. I would prefer a soak as washing is difficult due to shoulder problems from the crutches.

I cant always get in the shower as its too painful and without help cant easily get my feet over the side of the bath. I often just have a wet flannel wash. I look ok when I go to gp etc, as my pride makes me sort myself out even if I have to lie down all day in pain after.

Im getting worse, and its really worrying me. My knee on my good leg was nearly giving way today, and I cant put pressure on my one arm with my crutches, and because of putting pressure on the good arm that too is causing problems,I could jsut sit and cry with it all but have to carry on or give up. The pain is awful today but I couldnt take more painrelief as my stomach, and heartburn reflux is yuk and they will make it worse.

Im just downing the gaviscon, not good.
Sorry bout the moan. >thumbsdown<

devine63

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:28:27 AM »
Hi Bubble

do talk to the doc / pharmacy about the heartburn problems as they may be able to give you special versions of your meds which cause less problems.   Also talk to physio / OT about difficulties using crutches as there are various designs.

The OT will take into account the family's needs if it is a family bathroom, but remember that a level access shower is actually easier for almost everyone.   It is also possible to do a bathlift over the bath, but they are quite bulky so may not fit.    It's even possible to get a wash and blow dry toilet if one really needs one!
regards, Deb

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »
Hello Devine, we paid for one of those loos that will shower and dry, it cost a fortune and it was a waste of money for us because my daughter is too small to use it, thus the shower bit shoots water right up over her back and even hits the ceiling, it can be adjusted but we have never been able to get it right. The other problem with it is that the new shower chair will not fit over it, again because it is too small, so now we have two chairs, one for over the toliet and the other for use in the shower. It is hard to win sometimes, now we have more equipment than we really have room for, i just want to alert people to that in case it happens to them GM

devine63

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »
Hi Glummum

sorry to hear the closimat wasn't suitable for your daughter - I would have thought the OT should know that.   Maybe your daughter will get more use of it when she is older?

It is certainly true one can end up with loads of extra equipment - is it not possible to use the chair that does fit over the loo in the shower too?  Then you could get rid of the smaller one at least.

regards, Deb

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
the chair that fits over the loo was too uncomfortable, it was straight up at the back and we needed a chair that reclined slightly, but the one that reclines would not fit over the toliet, so we use it for shower only, the system is a Giberett. My daughter has stopped growing, she has restricted growth, and these toliets may not be useful for people who are smaller than average, Ive gave up on this one tbh GM

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
I am finding this thread very interesting as we are just starting to collect  quotes for taking out the bath and putting in a shower. We have 1700 up to 3500 so far!

bubble

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:51 AM »
Im just waiting for an assessment from ot at the mo. Do we have to sort out builders ourselves? I havent looked, we did look last yr at baths to see if we could put anything to help, but none would be suitable, so a good ot may know what is best.

we would have room for a bath and separate shower, I often just have to sit there as too exhausted to wash so a soak would be better on some days.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
The OT organised everything for me, found the builder, organised the claim and payment. Or at least she instructed the team that do it. All I know is I signed the forms. They work to a fixed budget and for some reason despite being willing to provide a wet room shower room which I had to turn down due to my dd's need for a bath which surely must have been more expensive than the shower over bath I went for, they would only budget for a shower rail and curtain and as my balance isn't great and my dd has dyspraxia and falls I wanted something sturdier so wanted a fixed folding shower screen. They wouldn't include that so I bought that but they included the fitting of it in the builders fee. I even had a choice of tiles.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »
Bubble,

When an OT organises a Disabled Facilities Grant for a person who owns their own home they do all the paperwork and organise the builders, then the council pays the builders. All we needed to do when the building work was done in our home was make tea and even then if I was by myself they made their own tea.

Going through the assessment with the OT can be a bit upsetting because you will have to be honest about how difficult things are and not put on a brave face. The OT I saw also wanted to talk about getting things right for me as I got older and could do less.

I know you prefer having a bath because you can soak but if you think about it when you soak the soap and 'skin reside' still needs to be rinsed off you or towel dried off so having a shower is probably better. Sorry about the description. Anyway we got a toilet extension which was built big enough to include a shower, and then because the grant took longer than expected to come through I asked for a shower and they gave me one. Deb mentioned wet rooms and shower cubicles, we have a neither, instead the shower template was placed under the concrete floor so it makes the water drain the right way, and then no slip flooring put on top. The area of the shower has tiling and the flooring goes a few inches up the wall but on the other side of the room the flooring just goes to the bottom of the wall. I was given the option of a wall seat or a shower chair and chose the chair because it is safer for me. The grab rails were put exactly where I showed I was going to need them and it all works well. The only down side is the room tends to be cold and I need to sort a fan heater if I want to air dry.

When it comes to talking about personal care just remember OTs hear about this stuff for a living and they will be looking to maintain your independence not rely on other people to help you. For example at no point did the OT say well Mr Sunshine should help you wash.

>bighugs<