Author Topic: Tooth out today- Dentist was good though  (Read 5428 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Tooth out today- Dentist was good though
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
I went to the dentist earlier expecting to get the old crown off one of my back teeth and it made ready for a new one, but as the dentist xrayed the tooth first she realised a new crown was not a good idea and said the tooth needed to come out. She was caring and considerate in the way she let me know I did not have to get it done today but the thing was I was already part way numbed up for the other work so I said yes. I was already visibly shaking cos my body was betraying me, I was scared yes because one of the other teeth I had out years ago broke up and took ages to pull and then I had a 'dry tooth' socket which really hurts, but my mind and soul said yes.

I was given another injection and then the dentist got to work. The nurse rested her hand on my shoulder in a reassuring way and said Remember to breath through you mouth and things like Very good okay breath. I thought it might take ages like the other time but it was less than a minute. It came out in one piece because the dentist had left the crown on for leverage, and I got a look at the tooth  >blush< I wish I was better at flossing.

Anyway, it is a relief to have just got on with it, it hurts a lot right now but that is to be expected. Hopefully no fry socket this time (wish me luck).

Whilst at the dentist I did feel relieved that I manage to go sort of regularily otherwise I would probably not have a dentist I know and trust and who most importantly never shouts at me.

>biggrin<

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Re: Tooth out today- Dentist was good though
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
Hope its less painful soon... i had a dry socket last time i had a tooth out... and boy did it hurt!!!... went back to the dentist and they treated it and it was less painful in seconds but not good for someone who had to use the emergency dentists because usually are so scared of the dentist I just stopped going... lol all my fears came true

If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »
Sunshine meadows  >hugs< , I am glad that you have a kind dentist and that the procedure went smoothly. I do hope that you don't get a dry socket this time!

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
Here's hoping a quick recovery, sunshine  >hugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
I've not heard of a dry socket before, so looked it up - sounds nasty, so keeping  >x-fingers< crossed for you that you escape that particular aftermath this time!  A sympathetic (and gentle) dentist is a precious gift for those of us with dental phobia ..

Dry socket notwithstanding, at least now the tooth is out it can't give you any grief in the future!  Hope you've taken some painkillers now the local anaesthetic has worn off - my dad swears by doing this as soon as the numbed area starts to come back to life..

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
Glad you managed to get through that ok, hope it heals really quickly now for you.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery with no complications, Sunshine >hugs<

SteveX

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
Very brave of you Sunshine!  >hugs<

Member of POMMAS

bubble

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:58 PM »
Aww Im glad all went well for you SM, hubby had tooth out today as well, and hes very nervous on dentist, he cant forget the old school dentists.
Unfortunately his cracked didnt come out in one piece, so had to have surgical procedure and stitches, but hes ok. Im proud of him as it may sound stupid but it was a big thing to him, even injections make him run for the hills so he did really well.

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:49:24 AM »
Thank you all for replying, it cheered me up when the pain did get worse and I was feeling sorry for myself.

Well done Mr Bubble >thumbsup<

I think a lot of us who are age 40-50 have a fear of dentists because back when we were kids some dentists were shouty bullies. Also there was a long term fad for bunging in loads of fillings when these days the teeth would be left alone.

In part I posted yesterday because I want people to know there are much nicer dentists out there than many of us are used to and going regularly means when work does need doing it is easier would be the wrong word, it is better.

That said it can be difficult to find a good dentist these days and to get in a decent practise I was a private patient first and had to wait for a NHS space.

>bighugs< to everyone who finds this all difficult.

My mouth is hurty this morning but it is manageable and the Tramadol i have for TN are coming in handy.

Yvette

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »
Well done Sunshine.   Keep taking the Tramadol.   >hugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
Oh Ouch!   >hugs<

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
Well done to you Sunshine

And yes, you are correct, those of a certain age ( i am within the age range you stated), I had a horrible dentist, that used to shout at me to keep my eyes open as he was doing a procedure, and it always seemed to hurt, and yes i have a lot of filings in the back teeth, i am sure they used to get paid per filing or tooth extraction procedure in those days

I have a lovely dentist now, and he is really kind and caring, and i have my 6 month check-up tomorrow.  | know i will need a filing as last week half of an old filing (probably from the 1970's ) fell out.  But just a check-up tomorrow and i can let the dentist know and of course he will see that half a filing has fallen out.

Once that has been sorted i am going to book a hygeinist appointment, unfortuately she is private and charges 45 for a 30 minute clean, poke about and polish   >yikes<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
Oh sherbs, you have just reminded me - bits of an old filling fell out today.  I was eating something soft and there were crunchy bits in it!  I must arrange an appointment.  I will write it down immediately.  Thank you.

bubble

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
Mr Bubble is not well today, hes been sick on and off all day, he thinks its antibiotics and pain relief and also the antiseptic packing in the tooth socket.

He wouldnt let me ring anyone, but every time he even sips water hes sick, so he hasnt drank since yesterday morning, Im worried but trying not to show it.