Author Topic: Check how Personal Independence Payment (PIP) affects you  (Read 1644 times)

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
Check how Personal Independence Payment (PIP) affects you
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
https://www.gov.uk/pip-checker/y

This link will take you to a checker tool on the .GOV.UK website where, if you are in receipt of D.L.A you can enter your date of birth and the tool will tell you the date when you will be invited to apply for P.I.P

The example shown below is for someone borne on 10th May 1982.

"You shouldn’t be affected by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) until 2015 or later, but there are some exceptions.

You’ll be asked to make a claim for PIP if after October 2013:

•   There’s a change in how your condition affects you.
•   Your Disability Living Allowance award is due to end and you haven’t received a renewal letter.

Unless either of these happen – you don’t need to do anything. You’ll get a letter in 2015 or later explaining:

•   What will happen to your DLA.
•   How you can claim Personal Independence Payment."

Best wishes

AO
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:53:00 AM by AccessOfficer »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Check how Personal Independence Payment (PIP) affects you
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
That's really interesting.  It calculated for me "2015 or later"; the way I understood it, was that we would all be assessed by 2015, so the idea that it may be later than 2015 is interesting.

Thanks AO for another great link. You are a  >star<

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:57:55 PM »
That's really interesting.  It calculated for me "2015 or later"; the way I understood it, was that we would all be assessed by 2015, so the idea that it may be later than 2015 is interesting.

"By 2015" was the original plan, but long-term claimants' reassessments were postponed by a couple of years. I think the postponement was announced at the end of last year or the start of this year.

There are competing explanations for why that was done:
  • the Government is worried that ATOS / Capita / whoever won't be able to keep up with all the reassessments;
  • the Government doesn't want to face the likely fallout before the next election;
  • or very possibly both.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
Mine also says to wait until 2015.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
2015 or later for me too it seems.

Yvette

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
2015 for me too.

lostfamily

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
It seems that 2015 is the date everyone is getting

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
If you are getting DLA with a long term (indefinite) decision, then you shouldn’t be affected by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) until 2015 or later, but there are some exceptions. 

If, like me, you are not getting it (still waiting for decision), then 9 June 2013 is the cut off date that ALL new applicants/reapplicants have to start applying for PIP.

It looks like they decided I was an exception to the first paragraph as they re-assessed me even though I was on an indefinite decision.  Either that, or Esther McVey tells lies misrepresents the truth.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

One Girl and her Big Dog

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »

It looks like they decided I was an exception to the first paragraph as they re-assessed me even though I was on an indefinite decision.  Either that, or Esther McVey tells lies misrepresents the truth.
There has always been the option of randomly re-assessing ANYONE on DLA at any time -  the idea that 'Lifetime' or 'indefinate' meant 'forever' is just another of the right wings lies about sickness and disability benefits.

The fact that very few did ever get re-assessed was down to a lack of DWP staff, rather than the lack of legislation. 

i'm not sure of Turtles ESA status, but it is yet another cruelty of the new world order that an ATOS/DWP decision after WCA will now often trigger a DLA re-assessment, adding even more distress to those who have been wrongly assessed as 'fit'.

If, like me, you are not getting it (still waiting for decision), then 9 June 2013 is the cut off date that ALL new applicants/reapplicants have to start applying for PIP.

It is from October that DLA changes will trigger a PIP 'invitation'.

From the Gov.UK site:  https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/simplifying-the-welfare-system-and-making-sure-work-pays/supporting-pages/introducing-personal-independence-payment

Timetable for introducing PIP
New claims

From 8 April 2013 we started to take new claims for PIP in Merseyside, north-west England, Cumbria, Cheshire and parts of north-east England. This allows us to test and review the processes. New claimants in all other parts of the country will continue to claim DLA as now.

From June 2013 we expect to take new claims for PIP in all parts of the country.
Existing DLA claimants

We are introducing PIP in stages over a number of years for existing DLA claimants.

From October 2013 we will invite individuals to claim PIP if they:

report a change in their care or mobility needs
    reach the end of an existing award of DLA and haven’t already received a DLA renewal letter
    are approaching the age of 16, unless they are terminally ill

From October 2015 we will start to contact everyone else receiving DLA inviting them to claim PIP. We will write to individuals in plenty of time and they do not need to contact DWP now. We expect to have contacted everyone who needs to claim PIP by late 2017.

Unless they change their minds of course. >doh<

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
Bump -

Maybe this post could be made into a Sticky as it has a link to PIP checker.

What say you Kizzy and Sunshine?

Regards
AO

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
PIP has gone live for new claimants from today  >yikes< >crying<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »

Maybe this post could be made into a Sticky as it has a link to PIP checker.

Tis now stuck  :-) sorry about the delay in doing so.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Personal Independence Payment – Frequently asked questions (2012)

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/EAB5A70B-967D-4DC7-951C-7382C1664EB9/0/personalindependencepaymentfaqs1213.pdf

Most of it we already know but it is good to have it here for newbies and people who want to check back.