Author Topic: "Bedroom Tax" and possibly challenging it  (Read 3573 times)

devine63

"Bedroom Tax" and possibly challenging it
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »

Hi

Martin Lewis and the Money Saving Expert team have produced a Guide on the welfare changes:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/benefit-changes-2013?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=09-Apr-13&utm_campaign=site&utm_content=92   

They have found this tool from Govan Law Centre:   http://www.govanhilllc.com/brtax/   

which gives some details of how to challenge bedroom tax decisions - but you must respond within a month of the decision,

regards, Deb

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: "Bedroom Tax" and possibly challenging it
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:59:27 PM »
Just put figures through the benefit calculator on that MSE site, Deb. 

It says I am entitled to 1:35 a week Income Support, but there are a some small problems... 

If I put the same info into .gov benefit calculator it says I'm entitled to 0.00 Income Support.

If I tried to claim IS it'd probably result in an assessment for ESA (I'm on IB) and I'm not sure I can face that, even if I was/am entitled to it.
I really don't think 1:35 is worth the hassle, even if it was straightforward & didn't lead to more forms or complications.

So is MSE wrong, or is .gov misleading?  Maybe both are less than accurate, I don't know.  Do other people get the same answer from each of the benefit checkers?

Monic1511

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
Seegee

to answer which is correct I'd need to know what your on, since universal credit is being trialled Im not sure which one the gov.uk website is referring to

Contact cab or possibly entitled to dot com
If you get 1.35 if any income related benefit your due extra benefits and you need to be on an income related benefit to get any commmunity care grants or crisis grants.

Monic

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
UC is only being tried with new claimants (and in a small area), isn't it?  Maybe I'm just confused... ;-)

I put long-term IB into both, I also get LRC DLA, housing benefit (I pay a bit of rent as I'm not on IS), council tax benefit (I pay a bit of this likewise).  I live in council housing, a 1-bed flat which is lowest CT possible of course.

It's only theoretical, I wouldn't attempt to claim anyway. 
I get free prescriptions on the grounds of low income (got an HC2), have a travel pass on the grounds that I'd be refused a driving licence, get help paid for by the council via Direct Payments - which means I'm not poor; I tend to spend less than I have now that I rarely have to spend on bus/ train fares.

Monic1511

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Hi Seegee

this is a bit of a Guess but this is how I'd do a benefit check (without my automatic calculator so I can be wrong)

Need
Basic                         71.70
Disability Premium  +31.00
Total =                  102.70

Getting
IB Long term    101.35
+ age addition     6.00
Total                 107.35

No entitlement to means tested benefits
Other income DLA 21.00

If you were on middle rate care then you would be due the severe disability premium 59.50 rather than the disability premium and that would get you income related benefits

You are right that UC is only being tried with a few new folk but the online calculators carry both sets of detail and that confuses this as well, also you still being on IB will confuse some as well.

The above figures are a guess on an imaginary person but use 2013 figures
take care & let me know if you want me to delete it if its too close to persona info
Monic

devine63

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
Hi

I don't know why you are getting different results - I do know I would trust MSE a long time before I would trust anything from government!!!     You could contact MSE and tell them about the difference and ask if they can help work out what is wrong (no point in contacting the govt website, I don't think they care if it is wrong!)
regards, Deb

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
It's not personal/ private information Monic, I'm not the only person in the UK aged over 25 getting IB + DLA LRC and I bet I'm not the only one who is also living in a council flat. 
I don't think I'm entitled to IS, can't understand why the MSE calculator says I am; just rather puzzling. >erm<

Amanda

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
UC is only being tried with new claimants (and in a small area), isn't it?  Maybe I'm just confused... ;-)

I put long-term IB into both, I also get LRC DLA, housing benefit (I pay a bit of rent as I'm not on IS), council tax benefit (I pay a bit of this likewise).  I live in council housing, a 1-bed flat which is lowest CT possible of course.

It's only theoretical, I wouldn't attempt to claim anyway. 
I get free prescriptions on the grounds of low income (got an HC2), have a travel pass on the grounds that I'd be refused a driving licence, get help paid for by the council via Direct Payments - which means I'm not poor; I tend to spend less than I have now that I rarely have to spend on bus/ train fares.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is LRC?  >confused<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:35:30 PM »

DLA low rate care  :-)

Amanda

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

DLA low rate care  :-)
Thanks for the shorthand explanation  >thumbsup<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
You are welcome Amanda, there are so many initials relating to benefit claims!

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Sorry Amanda >blushing<, thanks for explaining Hurtyback. >tah< :-)

Was there a thread somewhere with lots of abbreviations & initials?