Author Topic: evidence of cognitive impairments in people with Borderline personality disorder  (Read 794 times)

devine63

Hi

I came across this article and I thought others might be interested:

Source:   http://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=aa19j6t7nl79c#mail 

Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2004 Mar;27(1):67-82, viii-ix.
Neuropsychological impairment in borderline personality disorder.
Monarch ES, Saykin AJ, Flashman LA.
Source

The Virtual Reality Treatment Center, 154 Waterman Street, Providence, RI 02906, USA. elenamonarch@yahoo.com

Abstract

In spite of accumulating evidence from neurological, neuroimaging, neuropsychological, and, more recently, developmental studies, borderline personality disorder (BPD) is not considered routinely a neurocognitive disorder. A review of the neuropsychological literature shows that the preponderance of BPD studies failed to examine a broad range of cognitive domains and, in particular, have not adequately evaluated attention. Nevertheless, most neuropsychological studies suggest that these patients' cognitive skills are compromised. The authors administered a neuropsychological battery designed to evaluate nine cognitive domains in twelve female inpatients diagnosed with BPD. Relative to a healthy normative group, inpatients with BPD were impaired in seven cognitive domains, with attention-vigilance and verbal learning and memory most pronounced. Neuropsychological performance was significantly related to degree of psychopathology. The authors recommend that clinicians routinely screen BPD patients for cognitive dysfunction and highlight the roles that this important knowledge can have in treatment.

regards, Deb

myrtlemaid

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Still fighting...well sometimes !
Thanks for posting that deb..i was diagnosed approx 2 yrs ago and am always keen to discover  theories about why it develops
If you have a true and loyal friend you indeed have a goodly share of lifes riches

devine63

You're most welcome.   If there is measurable neuropsych effect then that tends to suggest a physiological basis ...
regards, Deb

Suman

• Bronze Member
When I was diagnosed with BPD the psychotherapist told me it was likely brought on by childhood trauma, something I can definitely relate to.

In my case, I don't feel like I have any obvious cognitive impairments, especially when I'm not on a low.

devine63

Hi Suman

almost any psychotherapist would be bound to assume that any condition is due to trauma, that's what their training leads them to assume and they are taught little or nothing at all about brain physiology or neuropsychology.  In any case, such trauma could in some way cause the physiological changes I mentioned.

The kind of changes measurable using psychometric tests would not necessarily be noticable to the person experiencing them ...
regards, Deb