Author Topic: ESA and Disabled Students Allowance  (Read 1241 times)

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
ESA and Disabled Students Allowance
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
I tried to post this earlier but it didn't do through. I am helping my daughter to do her ESA form, we did the phone interview last week and I have now got the Customer Statement sent to me so I have to check it. I did not tell them that she has got DSA Disabled Students Allowance from Open University would you know if I have to put that on the form? Page 16 says 'other Benefits or Allowances That are not From Social Security'  I rang the social security agency and they did not know what I was talking about (they sounded pretty bored and nasty tbh!)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ESA and Disabled Students Allowance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
Hi Glummum - I would put it down on page 16 anyway, but the good news is - Disabled Students Allowance is totally disregarded for the purposes of means-tested benefits, so receipt of it will be on top of any income-related ESA that she is awarded  >thumbsup<

devine63

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
I would agree - always best to tell them she gets the allowance - just make it clear it is not paid in cash to the student, it is paid to suppliers who provide the equipment and other support and to reimburse the student for costs like printer ink cartridges and  such like.
regards, Deb

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
That's great Kizzy and Deb, I have now got the OU to send me me out a statement about this. Thank-you both x

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
Just an update and some info, I got letter from OU confirming details for my daughter's course and the following:

"The UK is primarily a distance-teaching institution with students studying part-time. The UK government does not consider part-time study an impediment to obtaining employment, so, by the same token, it shouldn't affect a student's right to claim state benefits. The number of hours a student takes is not relevant. If your local benefits office isn't aware of this ruling, they should consult the 'Decision Makers Guide, Vol 8, Chapter 41 - Employment and Support - conditions of entitlement 41686 Hours of attendance at a recognised educational establishment'"

So there you go, this is just as kizzy I think said earlier, this should be useful for others too, best wishes, GM ;-)

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
Thanks for that info. I knew that it was possible to claim ESA and study part time but not where to find the proof  >biggrin<. My son is in awaiting a letter after filling in his form to migrate from IB to ESA and has just been offered a place at Birkbek College to stuy computing. All their courses are prt time which is why he applied there.

Glummum

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
thats good Gorbut, I rang a few helplines enquiring about this and they did not know anything about it but the Open University did, it is strange that people do not know these things, there must be many disabled students who do online study or part-time. When young people go into the 'transition' process they and their parents are often unaware of things....all a learning process